Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

HD 4000 Graphics fails after Win 7 splash screen/at driver load.

idata
Employee

Hi All!

I am in need of some help. Hopefully, someone from Intel actually monitors these forums.

I will be the first to admit, I do not have a lot of experience with integrated graphics to begin with outside of enterprise computing. I have zero experience with the integrated graphics that exist on CPUs, so it is highly possible I am doing something bizarre. I don't think I am, though. Why go integrated graphics now? They have come a long way and I don't see my sons needing anything better for a couple of years, at least. The PC I am building for my kids have the following specs:

• Intel Core i5 3570K Processor

• Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

• Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard

• 8 GB (2x4) G.Skill Ares series RAM

• Silverstone 850W PSU (from my previous system)

• 2 x Western Digital 250 GB Hard Drives in Raid 0 configuration (from my previous system)

• LG DVD-RW/R Burner

Everything with this build works great except the integrated HD 4000 graphics. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installs with no problems and, for a basic Windows Driver, the graphics look pretty good for only moving around Windows. All drivers provided by Asus work fine for the chipset, the audio and the other components on the motherboard. I don't run into any issues until I loaded the video driver for Intel's HD 4000 graphics. It installs with no errors and prompts for a system reboot. The system reboots, gets to the Windows 7 splash screen and right when the video driver loads, the display goes blank and the monitor states it is going to into a "Power Saving" mode and turns off. I've tried updating the motherboard with the latest bios, formatted the drive and installed windows, loaded the chipset drivers and then the video driver and have gotten the exact same results. I get to the Windows 7 splash screen on boot up and the moment the video driver loads, no video. I did run a boot log to see which drivers load and which ones fail. Literally, the moment the video driver loads, from that point on, all the drivers fail to load. On a whim, I even tried the HD 4000 video driver from Intel's site. This driver refused to install saying the HD 4000 graphics was not detected.

I contacted ASUS and completely stumped them. They suggested I try to install Intel's video driver. I informed them that I did and that it said I didn't have the correct video adaptor. Since it was outside my 30 days to return anything to NewEgg (thank you bad new PSU for my system), I got an RMA. ASUS was going to "repair" the P8Z77-V LK motherboard saying it's something with the board causing the integrated graphics to not be detected correctly. Well, ASUS ended up sending me a brand-new motherboard of the same model. I installed all the hardware last night, installed Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (no issue) and the chipset driver (no issue) and everything was working as you would expect. I installed the ASUS provided video driver and got the exact same issue I had when I returned the motherboard. The system reboots, gets to the Windows 7 splash screen and right when the video driver loads, the display goes blank and the monitor states it is going to into a "Power Saving" mode and turns off. I even tried the latest driver from Intel (version 15.26.12.64.2761), which did install but would act the exact same way. I'm, very literally stumped. In 15 years, I've never seen anything like this. It's as if the video driver is not correctly detecting the monitor, which is connected via DVI. As a result, it's changing to a different port. I do not think that is it since the boot logging show the video driver failing to load. I think it is a driver compatibility issue. The drivers from ASUS are still Intels drivers, just with an ASUS software front-end to install with.

I don't see how this could be bad hardware. Aside from the basic drivers that Windows 7 installs, I only have the Intel chipset drivers installed that were provided by ASUS.

Thanks and has anyone seen the same thing or any suggestions to fix!

Paul

16 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Since you have tested practically every possible troubleshooting, I would say it is time to replace the processor.

At this point I would suggest calling Intel support line at:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

Or you can open a chat session at:

http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=processor# processor http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=processor# processor

And they will be able to assist you replacing the boxed retail processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, Adolfo. I will give Intel a call this week (hopefully Monday).

Paul

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Have you tried the sys with a add on graphics card , that should tell you weather it's the CPU or some other problem when you install a add on card you can go into the BIOS and choose to use the add on card if everything is OK than you know it's the CPU .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert!

Yes, I did try putting in a PCIe video card (the GTX 680 from my system) and, as I expected, it did work properly.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My answer is not very helpful, but I have exactly the same issue and exactly the same CPU and Motherboard -

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor and Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard. Other hardware is different, but I don't think that other pieces are significant here.

As a temporary solution I have booted in safe mode and removed the driver for Intel HD 4000 graphics. I have a dual-boot system with main OS being Linux and Windows intended only for games, so I can leave with this issue for a while. But please update this thread if you have any solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Ivan!

Per UPS Tracking, the processor was delivered to my home. I'll be able to update this thread with the result this weekend (kids soccer practices and games will keep me from trying sooner).

Stay tuned and cross your fingers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, bad news. I put the new processor in, installed Windows 7 cleans and had the EXACT same results. I am going to redo all of my testing this week and I will update at that point in time but I am not hopeful that Intergrated Graphics will work with this setup, which is a shame. I was hoping to give my kids a low power system, not one with a power hungry video card (GTX 8800). I didn't budget in a discreet graphics card because I've seen good reviews for the HD 4000. Very disappointing.

Hey, Adolfo, is there anyway to get Intel and ASUS to work together and test this motherboard and processor setup for HD 4000 Graphics compatibility?

I'll update this thread with my test steps and results.

Paul

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

If the replacement processor is having the exact same issue, it seems to be a compatibility issue between the motherboard and the processor graphics controller.

I would suggest testing the processor on a different motherboard (brand and model) , if the processor does not causes the same behavior, then you will need to contact ASUS* and check with them if they have a BIOS update or fix for this compatibility issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Probably I crossed my fingers in the wrong way. It is much easier for me to wait for the software fix, than have a trouble of replacing CPU.

What about pressuring on Microsoft also? (Create an issue ticket) This configuration works perfectly on Linux, but fails on Windows - even if they will not provide us with the fix, they may pressure on Asus and Intel from their side.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adolfo!

That is a wonderful idea that I would absolutely love to do. Except it would involve me purchasing an approximate motherboard with a Z77 chipset for a test. If I had the funds to do so, I would have said the heck with integrated graphics and just purchased a 7 series AMD graphics card (only because there isn't a 6 series Nvidia graphics card in that price range).

It is a good idea and a valid recommendation but for someone that is an OEM, not a DIYer. Sorry, Adolfo. Would Intel work with Asus at a customer's request or am I going to have to try to get Asus to try to work with Intel?

Thanks!

Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Ivan!

I don't know. Microsoft can easily wash their hands of it and say it's between Intel and Asus, especially given that the basic, generic Windows driver works just fine. I'm also at the point of wondering just how much effort is worth putting into this. I'm very strongly leaning toward putting in my old GTX 8800 and saying the heck with it.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Paul

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

If the configuration is working fine on Linux*, then it means that it is not a hardware issue, but a software issue.

So it could be a graphics driver issue, or an operating system issue.

If installing the latest graphics driver from our website does not help, then you need to contact Microsoft* and ask them for a fix.

The situation is that since we have not had any other report of an issue like the one that you mention, this is only an isolate issue with your particular configuration.

So it has to be something with your operating system, perhaps you might want to try a clean installation of the operating system, or proceed to contact Microsoft* for further recommendations.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm having the exact same problem. Asus P8Z77-V PRO, Core I5 3750k. I can't install Windows 8 at all because I have the same symptoms halfway through the setup process.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Adolfo, please look at my original post. Windows 7 is being used. And I agree, it is a driver compatibility issue. I think I said as much in my first post. As for this being an isolated issue, you did read Ivan Sopov's post stating he has the exact same motherboard and CPU as myself and when Windows 7 is installed, he has the same issue, correct?

I did contact Microsoft, per your suggestion and guess what they said. I'm telling you this is going to totally surprised everyone that has posted in this thread. They said Microsoft does not write the drivers for any specific graphics products and to go back to the OEM for assistance. I'm totally surprised by this!

Ok, no, I'm not really.

Let's remember something, it works just fine with the basic Windows Driver that is installed by default during the installation of Windows 7. So, Microsoft's stuff works. I called ASUS. Guess what they said, I need to talk to Intel since the HD4000 driver is made by Intel and so is the actual graphics subsystem on the CPU. :::GASP::: Anyone that did not see this coming, please, raise your hand.

Yeah, I wasn't either.

I apologize for the sarcasm. I really dislike playing monkey in the middle between vendors. I do that enough working in IT. Which is why I took a break from all this for a bit. So, let's recap for just a second here:

• ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5 3570K Processor
  • Windows 7 64-bit Premium Home Edition installed
  • Intel made, ASUS branded Chipset drivers installed
  • Boot after Chipset install, still using the basic, generic Windows 7 driver - video works
  • Install Intel made, ASUS branded video drivers, Windows boots to the Windows 7 splash screen and then goes dark.
  • Booted to safe mode and removed the Intel made, ASUS branded video drivers then booted back to normal mode.
  • Downloaded the latest (as of 10/5) drivers from Intel and installed. Windows boots to the Windows 7 splash screen and then goes dark.
  • Boot logging shows drivers failed to load starting with the video driver.

Since I have started on this path, there have been a couple of BIOS releases from ASUS. I am going to try the latest one this weekend and I will update then. Honestly, I'm not hopeful. So, here is my plan of attack this weekend:

• Update the BIOS on the ASUS P8Z77-V LK to the most recent version
  • Wipe the hard drives
  • Install Windows 7 64-bit Premium Home
  • Install the latest chipset drivers from ASUS
  • Install the latest Network Driver from ASUS
  • Run Windows Update and install all updates - at this point, it can't POSSIBLY hurt and perhaps this will be the magic bullet Yea, I don't think so either but it is all I have left to try
  • Install the latest HD4000 graphics driver from Intel - going straight to the source

Should the above prove to be unsuccessful, I'm done. I will be disabling the Integrated Graphics and running on an nVidia 8800 GTX and, finally, giving this PC to my kids. My oldest son needs it next week for homework.

Intel/Adolfo, any additional insight is welcome but I'm not playing monkey in the middle between Intel, ASUS and Microsoft. As you have, um, pointed out, I am but one user. That translates into no pull whatsoever with anyone. I'm willing to work with Intel to get this resolved, as well as ASUS and Microsoft. You have but to ask. At this point, though, a fix is going to have to come from vendors, who are supposed to be partners, working together.

I'll update this with my latest attempt after this weekend. If anyone has any luck, send it this way, please.

Paul

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Please try the following graphics driver:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21840 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21840

These are drivers for Microsoft* Windows* 8, but they are also unified with Microsoft* Windows* 7, so they should work.

If these drivers do not solve the issue, please proceed to open a chat session with the graphics support team at:

http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=processor# processor http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=processor# processor

Click on the "Live Chat support" button and select "Graphics" option, they will be able to further assist you with this matter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello All in this thread.

Today I decided to give it a try to the latest driver suggested by Adolfo with the latest Windows updates installed. I installed all the updates and among them the Intel driver - I have noticed that it is going to e installed by Windows Updater only when it was already being installed. I thought that I would need to boot in saf mode and uninstall it to be able to install the lates Window 8&7 driver, but to my surprise this driver that has come with the Windows update works!

So I have now working Intel HD4000 video on this configuration with only installing latest Windows 7 updates including Intel HD video driver. Hope that Paul will solve the problem too with such ease (Not the short time optios since Windows updates took me more than one hour and about 10 restarts - messages said that some update installations were unsuccessful from the first try and were installed only from the second try needing addtional restart for the retry).

Good luck, all. There are some other problems that are off-topic for this thread - I have not managed to install USB3 driver (Asmedia controller), and have problems with chipset overheat, that I solved installing non-standard cooler - but they are not blocking from using this configuration for games.

0 Kudos