3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 9:47 AM by phil_l

does any Intel mainboard support full disk encryption?

Tomek

According to what Intel claims here: http://ark.intel.com/products/59044/Intel-Desktop-Board-DQ77MK DQ77MK supports Anti-Thef technology. However in its BIOS there is no option for ATA password, which is present in most laptop nowadays. On one hand Intel claims its SSDs supports full disk encryption, but on the other, there is no desktop mainboard that supports it (or maybe there is?). To me it is crucial feature, which was present in older chipsets and supported couple of years ago, now this capability seems to be gone... To me its a show stopper and forces me to wait for next generation of chipsets, with a hope that full disk encryption will get support in desktop environments...

• 1. Re: does any Intel mainboard support full disk encryption?
          phil_l

Hi

Yes using full disk encryption of the Intel 520 SSD with a DZ77BH-55K board, it took a couple of months for Intel to fix the BIOS to support it correctly though.

Regards

Phil

• 2. Re: does any Intel mainboard support full disk encryption?
            Tomek

Thank you, is there any micro atx mainboard that supports FDE ? I'm interested especially in DQ77MK - can someone confirm successful use of full disk encryption with this mainboard? Also technical specification of  DZ77BH-55K doesn't contain information about ATA password (just user and supervisor password) - how did you set you full disk encryption in BIOS?

• 3. Re: does any Intel mainboard support full disk encryption?
              phil_l

Hi

The technical specification for the DZ77BH-55K does indeed make no mention of hard-drive passwords.  The original BIOS had the option only in the Classic BIOS screen and only then when SATA mode was set to IDE.  Someone had tried setting a hard-drive password on this flawed BIOS but it broke their motherboard and they had to have it exchanged.  This is Intel quality control that many of us have learnt to live with!

With BIOS verson 83 the Master and User hard-drive passwords correctly appeared in the Visual BIOS interface.  Again, as an indication to Intel's poor quality control, no mention of this fix was made in the release notes, so it was only by chancing the newer BIOS I found it had been fixed.

I think most of Intel's newer boards should have ATA security options now, but as you have found, finding the information from Intel and product specifications is useless, the only way to know for sure is user's helping other user's if you happen to find someone who has tried it and know that it works.  My next motherboard isn't going to be one from Intel.

Regards

Phil