3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 7:22 AM by tmccraw

Intel HD3000 Access Violation on glReadPixels() with GL_STENCIL_INDEX

tmccraw

Greetings,

I am a software engineer who recently upgraded to a new laptop.  In the process I discovered that one of our widely distributed applications does not function properly with my new hardware.  I have a strong suspicion that it is a driver issue.  My configuration is as follows:

Dell Latitude E6520

Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)

Intel HD 3000

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2827

Driver Date: 8/9/2012

With this configuration glReadPixels() causes an access violation when reading the full width of the stencil buffer (GL_STENCIL_INDEX).  Full-width reads of the color buffer (GL_RGBA) operate as expected, and do not experience an access violation.  This code executes as expected with no violation in a variety of other hardware configurations, including when executed using the NVIDIA NVS 4200M in the same machine.

The 'sbuffer' buffer below is generally 768 * 1024 bytes, with glPixelStorei() set to a pack alignment of one.  I increased the size tenfold for these examples to put to rest any concerns of insufficiently sized buffers on our end:

With a 768x1024 window, the following code crashes:

glReadPixels( 0, 0, 768, 1024, GL_STENCIL_INDEX, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, static_cast<GLvoid*>( sbuffer ) );

When reducing only the height the code still crashes:

glReadPixels( 0, 0, 768, 1023, GL_STENCIL_INDEX, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, static_cast<GLvoid*>( sbuffer ) );

However, when reducing only the width, the code does not crash:

glReadPixels( 0, 0, 767, 1024, GL_STENCIL_INDEX, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, static_cast<GLvoid*>( sbuffer ) );

Any assistance or information on how we can help escalate the issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!