10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 10:18 PM by Carlos

DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working

grey271

I built a system 10 months ago with:

- DZ68BC board

- i7-2700K CPU

- Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory

The BIOS is at version 0037.

I've been having small problems right from the start and I'd like to get to the bottom of it, since (a) it's getting worse and (b) I'm still under limited warranty. For starters, I want to figure out the likely culprit for the faults - the CPU, the board, the OS, ...

So here is what goes wrong:

1. it takes a long time until OS boot starts. Without boot optimizations enabled, it takes ca. 10 seconds until the BIOS splash screen comes up, then another 10 seconds until the bootloader starts. With all boot optimizations, it is still > 10 seconds. Is that normal?

2. the F2 and F10 keys (to enter BIOS setup / select boot medium) only work half the time, and then only if I keep them pressed for ca. 5 seconds. Again: is this normal?

3. After installing the drivers for the board from CD, windows7 no longer shuts down properly, It logs out, starts to shut down, and at some point the screen starts to flicker with random blocks of color. The only way to shut the system down is to press the power button for a few seconds.

4. Occasionally, the screen flicker above (a.k.a. CSOD, the Colorful Screen Of Death) starts while the OS is running. OS in this case is either Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04. The system is completely unresponsive (in case of Ubuntu, I cannot reach it by ssh or ping) and needs to be shut down via the power button.

Clearly, 3 and 4 are not normal. What concerns me is that 1 and 2 clearly point to a problem with the board, while 3 and 4 indicate a graphics problem, which in this case means a faulty CPU (since I don't have a graphics card).

I don't overclock.

Any ideas on what I can do to find the point of failure?

• 1. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
          snk

1. I'd say that's normal, happens to me as well. With general boot optimizations enabled its alot faster though (but then F2 & co don't work anymore at all).

2. It's the same for me, too. Have to hammer F2 to enter the setup.

3. I'm running the latest board drivers from the Intel homepage, but I never had any problems like that before (I think after the OS installation I used the ones from the CD).

4. Since you mentioned 1600Mhz memory, I have issues running my memory at anything but 1333Mhz with this board and the 0037 bios. Try running a memory stresstest, like Prime95. At 1600, I get errors after a few minutes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
            Major_A

This isn't issue specific but it might explain some of your problems.

Still no fixed BIOS for DZ68BC

• 3. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
              grey271

snk wrote:

1. I'd say that's normal, happens to me as well. With general boot optimizations enabled its a lot faster though (but then F2 & co don't work anymore at all).

Is that a common "feature" of the newer intel boards? On my previous system (ASUS P5L board, E6400 CPU) this took at most 3 seconds. 

4. Since you mentioned 1600Mhz memory, I have issues running my memory at anything but 1333Mhz with this board and the 0037 bios. Try running a memory stresstest, like Prime95. At 1600, I get errors after a few minutes.

It's already set to 1333Mhz in the BIOS

• 4. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
                rseiler

How much does disabling the Marvell controller, assuming you're not using it, help with #1?  That's one of the first things I did, and as I recall it reduced the Intel splash screen time by several seconds to what it is now, which is blink-and-you-miss-it (part of why it's so difficult to use F2/F10). Note that I'm not on 003x BIOS.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
                  grey271

rseiler wrote:

How much does disabling the Marvell controller, assuming you're not using it, help with #1?

It helps a lot. It's still not blink-and-you-miss-it, but it's a lot faster. It also seems to help with #2 in that I've been able to get into BIOS setup for a few times in a row now, although that might also be caused by me pounding on the F2 key instead of pressing once and hoping that it will work the way it should.

• 6. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
                    Shaun

are you using the ONBOARD video?

the flicker and colourful screen aren't normal, sounds like a video card issue.

If you're using onboard video I would ask for an exchange on the mobo.

For boot optimization there should be 3 options:

General

USB

Video

if you enable general, USB should still work to enter the bios.

• 7. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
                      grey271

Shaun wrote:

if you enable general, USB should still work to enter the bios.

No - after enabling general optimization, the only way to get into BIOS setup is the back to BIOS button. F2 no longer works.

Also, I don't have a video card. I agree that the screen flicker is a video problem, but why does that mean that the fault is with the board? The video capabilities are part of the CPU, so how do I know that the board and not the CPU is faulty?

• 8. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
                        Shaun

That's weird, on my DZ77BH i can still use F2 with general optimization enabled.

I highly doubt the cpu is bad, usually if a CPU is bad the computer will BSOD/random reboots. Sounds a lot to me like a bad mobo. Try running prime95 to test your RAM

• 9. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
                          ritchieg

Consider the PSU (Power Supply). I know it does not sound like a PSU problem but I also had screens with horizontal bars of colours suddenly appear at random when the O/S was running (but not when shutting down) and I had to hold the power button to power off the system. Changed the PSU totally to a different brand and have had months now without this. Same board DZ68BC and also happened with on-board video.

I had this issue with a Silverstone 1200 Watt PSU. Changed to a spare Codegen 1000 Watt unit and straight away this issue and other issues went away. Wanted a better brand unit than a Codegen for this board so have put in an Antec 1200 Watt PSU and the system is stable just like with the Codgen.

I have not experienced your other specific issues.

One other issue I have experienced though is when the Windows 7 boot screen starts and the Windows logo starts to appear and fly in, that the system will freeze at this point and it will take a few boot attempts to boot the O/S past this stage again. Once past this point the system will boot fully and normally. This again has not happened for months now also but it did just happen this morning. It was happening with some more frequency when it was a bigger issue but what seemed to make the difference was upgrading to one of the recent BIOS updates. The fact that it happened today but not for a while makes me hopeful that there is still some problem in the BIOS regarding this and that this will be resolved in future updates. One reason I am hopeful of this is because when you look at the release notes for the BIOS updates for this board there is a documentation that addresses a hang at system boot logo with a certain processor (or something along those lines). My experience with Intel boards are sometimes when there are issues like this they are documented in a few BIOS update releases until they are fully fixed.

Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: DZ68BC - slow to start OS boot, F2 and F10 not working
                            Carlos

Im have the same issue with this darn board alos. The bios keeps disabling my RAID setting everytime I reboot.. and it also resets the UEFI setting .. This board is full of problems

Carlos