2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 11:02 PM by panamavibes

Intel DX58SO with Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G module

panamavibes

DXAll of a sudden my PC with Intel i7-920 & Intel DX58SO crapped out, it started giving me a black screen without even a BSOD. Just like that without warning and it would remain turned on with the fan running but no sign of life.

A couple of months ago one of the OCZ 2G modules (I had 3 for a total of 6GB) crapped out so I removed it but now I think the remaining ones became bad or so I hope as that is cheaper to replace. As I indicated I just get a black screen, then it was during startup it would not even go to the BIOS splash, just the fans and a black screen.

I removed the two remaining (2x2G) OCZ Technology modules and replaced it with a SINGLE 4GB module (Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G). I managed to get into the BIOS and configured tCL/RCD/RP to 9, in other words 9-9-9 and set the memory voltage to 1.5V. It is a 1333 MHz PC3-10600 memory.

So now the module is in the 1st slot and is recognized in the BIOS as 4GB. However, after configuring this memory in the BIOS I selected SAVE & EXIT but the computer won't start. So I can only get as far as the BIOS. After "restart" I get a message indicating there were several unsuccessful BIOS POST attempts so I press Y to go into the BIOS but after that the same problem.

My motherboard (Intel DX58SO) has the latest BIOS and in the Performance under Memory settings I see several settings I don't know what value to use. These are timing values in cycles for which I set CL, RP & RCD to 9 cycles which is what the memory documentation says but what about the other settings???

I had these values for the other settings for the OCZ modules that went bad:

RFC 59

RRD 4

WR 8

WTR 4

RTP 4

RC 26

FAW 16

That was for a PC3-10666 module set at 7-7-7 but now I have a single PC3-10600 module. How do I know which values to put in those settings? I am under the impression that the computer won't boot beyond BIOS because of that.

Then I selected AUTOMATIC MEMORY CONFIGURATION and it booted into Linux but all of a sudden after about 15 minutes the screen went black and it wouldn't restart. I had to power off and restart but still gives problems. I don't think it is a CPU problem, and I am beginning to think this isn't a memory problem either.

• 1. Re: Intel DX58SO with Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G module
          panamavibes

I tried the MemTest suite in Linux and it worked fine for about 15 minutes without errors. When I returned the screen was black. However, now after start up (prior to BIOS) sometimes I get a screen with a lot of dots (like Morse code) or garbled video.

Now, when I start I don't even get the BIOS screen but beep, beep, pause, beep, beep which makes me presume that the video card is damaged (GTX285). So I think either the video card is damaged or the motherboard is damaged and doesn't detect the video and/or memory. Both are expensive to replace, what can I do to pinpoint the problem?

• 2. Re: Intel DX58SO with Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G module
            panamavibes

I used the BIOS memory training feature and now it doesn't fail to boot due to memory. However, now the system loses video (black screen) between 2-20 minutes of use, simply goes away and never comes back unless I reset the system.