8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 1:41 AM by splautz

Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?

John2000

Hi,

I have a computer consisting of an Intel 3570K CPU (HD4000 IGP) and an ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard, running Windows 7 (64 bit).

When logging in to Windows 7, the display should fade in gradually. But on my computer the screen flickers during this fade in phase and the fading is not completely gradual. Once the fade in phase has passed, the graphics works ok however. The flickering looks like one or more line horizontal lines jumping around at different vertical positions. Those lines have a different brightness than the rest of the screen. The same problem exists when logging out of Windows 7, when the display should fade out. The problem occurs at every login and logoff. When testing this on a different computer using a discrete NVidia graphics card I do not experience the same problem.

I'm using the latest Intel Graphics driver (8.15.10.2761). All drivers for the ASUS motherboard are also the latest ones. And all Windows 7 64-bit updates are installed.

So I just wonder if this is a known problem with the HD4000 IGP and Intel drivers? And is there anyone else that have noticed the same problem?

Best Regards,

John

• 1. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
          phil_l

Hi

I'm using a 3770K processor.  I've never consciously noticed before but yes getting the same flicker I think you describe, but only on my Dell 24" monitor on the display port, my older DVI montior (connected via HDMI) doesn't do it.

It is probably just one of those things, given the will of Microsoft or Intel it can be fixed but is probably a low priority.

Regards

Phil

• 2. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
            John2000

Hi Phil,

Thanks for confirming this. As a matter of fact I'm also using a Dell monitor via DVI. More precisely a Dell U2412M. Is that the same monitor you are using?

Also, I do not get the same problem when using that monitor via DVI on my old computer, which has an NVidia discrete graphics card. So I suspect the problem is due to the Intel HD4000 IGP or the drivers for it. Perhaps it only occurs when using the HD4000 with the DVI port, since you say the problem could not be reproduced when you used the HDMI port?

Best Regards,

John

• 3. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
              phil_l

Hi

Yes I'm using a U2412M, this is on the display port connector.  An older 1280x1024 monitor running via an HDMI to DVI adapter doesn't appear to do it.

Probably some issue with the resolution and V-Sync causing some tearing.

Regards

Phil

• 4. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
                John2000

Hi,

I just tested this using the 3570K / HD4000 connected to my TV via HDMI, and saw the same problem there. So the problem is not only visible when using the DVI port. And it's likely not due to the Dell U2412M monitor, since the problem occurs when using my TV as well.

Also, I agree that it kind of looks like it might be some kind of screen tearing problem.

Since it's very easy to notice and reproduce (it happens each time during login/logoff), I really hope Intel can fix it in their drivers soon.

Best Regards,

John

• 5. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
                  splautz

You aren't alone.   I see this same problem but mine is through an HDMI port and the monitor isn't Dell.   I have a 3770K on an Intel motherboard, so it's likely a driver problem or perhaps the firmware on our motherboard bioses.    But I'm also getting occasional flashing red/orange single pixel horizontal lines appearing on my Windows desktop.  They tend to come and go and are hardly noticable, but they do happen enough for me to determine there's some kind of issue there.  I wonder if anyone else noticed the same?   I've only seen it on the Windows desktop and usually most noticable in gray or black backgrounds.

• 6. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
                    Khermush

Hi there everyone. I do have the same problem as well, but i'm using a 3570k alongside a discrete asus hd7870 and connecting the monitor to the card. The monitor is an LG IPS226V (not very good) and since i've tested the monitor with other machines, I know something else is at fault. what I think is that the Intel graphics I installed at first (I made a mistake, since I didn't need that at all) is interfering with the current AMD drives and make the screen flicker during  log on\off. I will try re-installing windows and other things and post the result.

• 7. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
                      Khermush

Status Update: I replaced my HD 7870 with an HD 6570 to see if the discrete GPU is faulty. It didn't seem to have any effect on the problem. Will test the HD 7870 on another system to make sure there's nothing wrong with the main GPU.

• 8. Re: Intel 3570K / HD4000 - Screen flicker during login/logout in Windows 7?
                        splautz

Status Update on the red lines I occasionally seen:  They seem to be related to the HDMI-DVI converter cable I am using.  I was unable to reproduce the issue when using a straight-though HDMI cable to the same monitor, so it doesn't look like the issue is with the 3770k processor or motherboard after all.   Now to find a cable or adapter that actually works reliably so I can use the DVI port on my monitor.  I'd hate to have to spend $60 on a Monster.

I didn't see any evidence that the fading issue was cable related however.