3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2012 12:49 PM by vbaderks

How to Identify the Bios on A DX79SI Motherboard Before Buying?

James Maher

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how to Identify the bios revision of the DX79SI Motherboard before purchasing?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: How to Identify the Bios on A DX79SI Motherboard Before Buying?
          vbaderks

The https://qdms.intel.com/Portal/SearchPCNDataBase.aspx provides an overview of all updates to the DX79SI motherboard. Every board has a AA code. AA code G28808-601 and higher have BIOS IX7910H.86A.0453.

The AA code is printed on the board, not sure if this code is also printed on the box. The latest revision of the DX79SI is G28808-602 (the Peripheral Controller Hub was updated from C0 to C1 stepping)

In most cases the BIOS on the board is outdated compared to BIOS version that can be downloaded from the Intel support site. You can use the readme of the BIOS to see what has been fixed in the latest revisions and if flashing your board to a newer revision makes sense.

• 2. Re: How to Identify the Bios on A DX79SI Motherboard Before Buying?
            James Maher

Thanks for the reply.  My problem is I bought motherboard online (AAG28808-600 - SIX7910H.86A.0281) back in March 2012 and CPU Core I7-3820 and have been buying the rest of the items over the following months.

Finally got all the parts to assemble the pc and then find out that the board was released with a bios that didn't yet support Core i7-3820 CPU!

Can't upgrade the Bios without a Core i7 3930k.  Rang Intel support and all the guy could say to me is "I understand your frustration", and basically he could do nothing for me. 

• 3. Re: How to Identify the Bios on A DX79SI Motherboard Before Buying?
              vbaderks

PCN 111436-00 documents that Intel switched to AAG28808-601 with the 0453 BIOS in April 2012:

https://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/.../PCN111436-00.pdf

Seems indeed to be a catch-22 situation. Some options would be:

A) Install temporarily a I7-3930K or I7-3960X to upgrade the BIOS, maybe some local computer shop can help you. This may the fastest option, but these CPUs may be hard to find.

B) Buy an used  I7-3930K. Flash the bios and resell it.

C) Send the board back to the online shop. The have sold you a combination that doesn't work and I assume the board is still in the warranty period.

1 of 1 people found this helpful