1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 11:35 AM by

Is VPRO compatible with Novell's Zen 10

Hi,

2 questions, is the VPRO technology exclusive to the CPU or can it be incorperated on an Intel network card?

Is Vpro compatible with Novell's Zen 10?

• 1. mrGIDIZJAApbLVF
          Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.
          • 2. Re: Is VPRO compatible with Novell's Zen 10

Hi Joe, there were two parts to your question

1. is the VPRO technology exclusive to the CPU or can it be incorporated on an Intel network card?

Actually this technology is embedded into the chipset and LAN controller, it takes the full infrastructure of the chipset, it is NOT supported in external NIC cards.

2.  Is vPro compatible with Novell's Zen 10?

That is a broad based question - technically vPro is agnostic to any operating system with some limitations depending on which Management appliance you are talking about. there are multiple features that run on the Management Engine (ME) these components create "vPro" technology - Most people refer to vPro as active Management technology  iAMT(r) - while iAMT(r) is agnostic to the Operating system there are some "in band" (operating system running) features that require a device driver in the O/S to talk to the ME, so while we can remotely Provision thru a bare metal model (no operating system on the system) and can do Non O/S related use cases (power cycle, shut down, power up, read event viewers, hardware inventory), there are some elements, such as updating the ME  FW thru the Operating system that will not work without the device driver. We have not tested a driver for Novell's Zen 10.