1 2 3 Previous Next 4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 3:20 PM by IT Center

Xeon with less speed OR Core 2 Duo Quad with higher speed?

amitsaxena96

I am confused between these choices:

Choice 1: Core 2 Quad Q9650+DQ45CB motherboard which runs as 3 GHz @ 800 MHz RAM

Choice 2: Xeon Quad Core E5410+SR 5000VSA 4DIMM which runs at 2.3 GHz @ 677 MHz.

Can you please suggest which of these will deliver the best performance: Choice1 or Choice 2?

If you suggest to go for XEON rather than Quad Core Core Duo, I hve further questions:

Choice A: Upgrade the Processor speed
      =====================================
      Xeon E5410 (2.3 MHz) or E5420 (2.5 MHz)? (the only differnce is Clock Speed. I want to know how much difference would it make at they have a price differece of 4000.

Choice B: Upgrade the RAM Amount

=====================================

SR 5000VSA 4DIMM (8 GB RAM) OR SR 5000VSA 8DIMM (16 GB RAM)? Agian, price difference of 4000 just because of extra 8 GB RAM Support.

I can only choose between upgrading either the mother board for increased RAM or the processor for increased Speed because of budget constraints. Please suggest what will be better?

I need to install Windows 2008 with Hyper-V on the machine. I'll run Windows 2008 as Host OS and 4 Hyper-V Virtual Servers (2003+2008) on that.

SINCE THESE ARE THE ONLY AVAIABLE MODLES IN MARKET, I DONT HAVE NY OTHER CHOICE FOR MOTHERBOARDS OR PROCESSORS.

I would highly appreciate if you may please spare some time to research for the same and let me know the reasons behind recommending a choice.

Very thankful for your time,

With Regards,

Amit Saxena

1 2 3 Previous Next