11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 1:16 AM by Stijn Vancoillie

DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues

justin strunk

Built a new system a couple of months ago, here are the specs:

Intel I7 3770k ivy bridge with corsair h100 cooler (originally used stock intel cooler)

Intel DZ77GA-70k extreme board

32GB of 1600 DDR3 Corsair Venegenace RAM (tested with memtest OK)

PC Power&Cooling MKII silencer 950 (1000w) PSU

(2)x EVGA Geforce GTX680 2GB in SLI

(1) Samsung 830 256GB SSD

(2)x Western Digital 1TB HDD

Coolermaster Cosmos II case, LG bluray sata burner, HP ZR30w monitor on displayport

Originally, I had installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on the machine... ran flawless, no issues on current NVidia 301.xx WHQL driver. I originally ran at stock processor speed, and eventually overclocked using the autotuner in the bios to 40/45 (4.0ghz main/4.5ghz turbo). Ran rock solid, voltage was fine, temps were perfect even per core.

It wasn't until I tried updating to 304.79 were I ran into the SLI bootup bug which causes the machine to bootloop (a combination of those drivers and the 004x Intel bios for this board were the cause of it)

Since then, I've wiped that partition and installed Windows 8 Pro RTM (final build) which of course also did the same thing with those NVidia drivers, 304.79 as they did in Win7.

Now that Nvidia has released the 306.02 betas yesterday officially, the drivers work correctly with Win8 Pro RTM (for the most part).

However, it still appears since Adobe Flash is integrated into Win8 now for IE10, there is an occasional IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO (NVLDDMKM.DLL) BSOD visiting any specific flash-based page (such as youtube or adobe flashes page itself)

Of course, that's a NVidia issue, so I've reported it to NVidia as a bug.

Now, for the intel issues with this board and windows 8:

My system ran fine in Win7 either overclocked or not. However, if I overclock in Windows 8, it will continuously crash with random reasons, majority of them related to CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUTS errors (reffering to a issue with CPU cycles/reports). This will mainly happen within the first few minutes of starting a cpu/gpu intensive game.

Once I set the machine back to stock CPU speeds, the error goes away and they run without any BSOD.

So there's obviously a BIOS issue with overclocking in Win8 that doesn't occur in Win7, or its that Win8 is more resource sensitive to overclocking. I haven't been able to determine that yet.

There was also an occasional random "USBPORT.SYS" BSOD and a occasional "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO" BSOD. Now, the usbport.sys error has not occurred since installing NVidia's new 306.02 beta drivers yesterday. So it may have been conflicting resources between usb and the gpu's without the drivers. I'll assume that has been resolved. The random "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO" may have also been attriobuted to overclocking or flash problem (though these specific occurences did not reference NVLDDMKM.DLL driver. Though it seems remained, and has yet to occur after setting back CPU to stock settings.

Another issue appears to be with shutting down Windows 8... sometimes it hangs at a restart/shutdown, sometimes it doesn't. IT appears to be doing it less since I used the "powercfg -h off" from the commandline. Not sure if its directly tied to hibernation, but it seems to shutdown correctly more often, but still has an occasional issue. No problems shutting down or restarting in Win7 with this systemboard, possibly AHCI or chipset drivers require updating?

And lastly, it was a interesting time trying to get Windows 8 to install correctly with UEFI conflicts between boot devices. It takes some patience and tinkering to get it to boot to the installer, and then recognize the correct drive to install on. Not always, I've reinstalled it several times to test different things, but sometimes UEFI seemed to have problems with the installer.

I know there's not much intel can do about overclocking issues, except I believe its the bios causing conflicts with windows 8 when overclocked, not overclocking issues themselves (my temps were fine, no issues previously with same settings as in windows 7), but there's obviously some other kinks that need to be worked out as they occur whether overclocking is on or not.

just my 2 cents and bug report to provide to the intel support team !http://communities.intel.com/images/emoticons/happy.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=happy|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=http://communities.intel.com/images/emoticons/happy.gif!

I'd recommend anyone else having newly-found issues with Windows 8 RTM (final build) to post them here as well.

EDIT: It appears ALL the  mentioned crashes may have been related to overclocking. However, even the slightest overclock causes them. So overclocking on this board within Windows 8 appears to be not functional and buggy. Tested settings again on Win7 partition, no issues.

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
          rbmorse

My system is similar to yours except I have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance memory and a single ATI HD5870 video card.

I did the Windows 8 installation as an upgrade from Windows 7 ultimate. It has been completely nonimal.  No problems to report.

I decided to try the upgrade mostly just to see how well it works since I suspect that's the route most people will take.  Although I was prepared to wipe and do a clean re-install afterwards, that simply doesn't seem to be necessary. Total memory commit and resource consumption are at or below what I saw from Windows 7 on the same machine.

Because the upgrade install doesn't change the disk mode, I'm still using MBR disks.  That's OK for right now as the biggest spinner I own in a 1TB Caviar Black and I don't have an operational reason to move to EFI, yet. I suspect life could get interesting when it comes time to make that change.

I'm still on the fence about the new UI (the "Win" key actually has a useful purpose at last!), but below the UI it seems pretty solid, so far.

I have no interest in overclocking so I haven't done any playing on that front.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
            justin strunk

Well, I've noticed all random BSOD issues with "nvldmmkm.dll" and "usbport.sys" and "watchdog_timeout" have stopped occuring once I set my CPU back to stock speed/settings (the stock was 35/39). Of course, I used the autotune feature in visual bios... voltage was still well within spec, temps were very cool.

Now, as I said, I ran the machine for a month or so with Windows 7 64-bit at the overclcked settings... never a single issue. Not one crash, BSOD, freeze, etc, and i did some hardcore gaming

As soon as that was wiped and Win 8 PRO RTM was installed... boom! all of those random issues until it was set back to default CPU settings.

So I do have Win7 64 on another partition now... and no issues if i turn the clock speeds back up. As soon as I reboot into windows 8, issues until i reset the clock speeds.And it doesn't matter what clock speed i set it at using auto-tune feature... even a marginal increase of, les say 36/40 will cause the issues in win8.

so it's not a issue of instability... its an issue with the intel board and Windows 8 having a incompatibility for overclocking, period. This is most definetely an issue either the software vendor or hardware vendor is going to need to resolve, but thats the problem... who does the issue lay with? Is it a problem with intels board itself or a BIOS revision/bug when reporting to Windows 8? Or is it that Windows 8 either has a bug or that the resources/kernel/services is now more sensitive to overclocking than Windows 7 was?

That has to be determined.

Im just hoping intel is reading this and acknowledge the board has some compatibility issues with Windows 8 RTM and are working on them. Doing whast I can to report stuff so they know what to look for. It's not that I need help with my problem directly, its that what Im reporting is likely a universal problem with this performance board and OS. That being said, this is no fault of either intel or microsoft... Windows 8 doesn't officially ship until Oct 26, so there's still well over two months before launch to fix said issues, but would just like to see them all resolved by launch time

Of course, there are still the shutdown/restart hangs and UEFI installer problems, but those are not related to the clock speed and such, just either driver issues or BIOS issues that need to be addressed later down the road.

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
              vbaderks

Hi,

I am running Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM fine on my Intel DZ68BC with a i2600K. After installing Win8 I installed the following drivers:

- Intel chipset update (INF_allOS_9.3.0.1021_PV): only installed a .inf for the smbus controller

- Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (RST), STOR_Win7_XP_11.2.0.1006

- Motorola bluetooth driver (from Intel download site): resolved warnings in the event log after wake from sleep.

- Intel Proset network drivers 17.2

- AMD video driver for my HD 6700. (not related to the motherboard of course)

Before installing the RST driver I had one or twice problems during a restart. After installing 11.2 not seen any problems, so I can recommend that update.

You could create a restore point and try if any of the driver updates solve your problem. For the Z77 chip set there is also a USB driver from the Intel download page. Alternatively you could as experiment also disable the usb3 ports in the BIOS to see if that resolves something.

If you have a CPU with an onboard GPU, using that as try-out may help to discover if the video driver is the problem or the motherboard.

• 4. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                justin strunk

I did install as many avaiable win8 drivers out for the dz77ga-70k as possible that are out now... the intel pro network drivers did resolve a issue with the network card randomly dropping (but that same issue was also in wn7 and was resolved by drive update)

Unfortunately, no chipset drivers are out yet directly for this board and win8.

• 5. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                  Yuriy Smirnov

I have windows 8 x64 RTM 9200 build installed as UEFI at GUID disk, intel dz77ga-70k (bios 0049), intel i7-3770k, 8gb RAM, nvidia gtx670 o.c.

When my system is fully booted, the LED on my motherboard shows me "40", but it should be "00".
                  also i have an issue with m.b.  it sometimes hangs randomly when reloading or shutting down OS.

• 6. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                    vbaderks

Did you already updated the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (RST) to STOR_Win7_XP_11.2.0.1006? This might solve the problem you see during reloading and shutting down of the OS.

• 7. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                      Yuriy Smirnov

vbaderks wrote:

Did you already updated the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (RST) to STOR_Win7_XP_11.2.0.1006? This might solve the problem you see during reloading and shutting down of the OS.

Sure. All new drivers and software had been installed.

• 8. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                        Prakash

--UPDATED:

I found the problem was I had Hyper-V role installed (for development purposes) and that causes Intel Turbo Boost to be disabled.  Shame that it doesn't work with turbo boost.  I'll send an email to Microsoft to see what they say.  Once I disabled the hyper-v role in Windows 8 (which is default disabled when installing win8) then turbo boost/overclocking works fine again.

--------------------------

I'm unable to overclock at all.  Here is my specs:

board: dz77ga-70k

cpu: i3770k

memory: 32gb corsair dominator 1600 mhz (uses xmp profile).

So I go into BIOS and go to advanced configuration> processor

Use the slider to set the overclock to 4.5 ghz (turbo boost multiplier).  I've tried this with the host clock multipler too and no go.

While the settings are saved fine once you go into Windows 8 (rtm) and check with CPU-Z software it shows the core speed at ~3492.00 Mhz , multiplier at x35 and bus speed 99.8mhz.  It never goes to the x45 multiplier that is set in the bios no matter how cpu intensive you run the computer - even using prime95 to test.

Note I've tried in Windows 7 and it works perfect and I get the 4.5ghz overclock.

• 9. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                          Michael Cullen

I'm having a similar issue, although I'm not lucky enough to get any BSODs or events logged; mine simply powers off as soon as I launch any game (I assume due to the fact that the CPU throttles up). Ironically, I actually had the issue fixed previously, but after a re-install it's back again and this time I can't seem to shift it.

I'm running a Gigabyte P8P67-M Pro with Core i5 2500k, 8 gig of Corsair Vengeance (seems to be a common theme...) and a GTS 450; usually I can handle a 4.5Ghz overclock with no issues, but even dropping the multiplier back down to 38 doesn't help on Windows 8.

I've also tried disabling Dynamic Tick support, to no avail. I'm not usually one to post on these sort of threads, being more of a lurker, but this seems like a pretty serious issue tbh.

• 10. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                            blahblahblaaah

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this problem. Before any BSOD occurs, machine check errors will show up in Even log, then after a while, the system will BSOD. I had Vcore at default, I only increased PLL Voltage to v1.90, never had a BSOD for two months @ 4.5Ghz, no machine check error logged either... that until I updated the BIOS to 0061 from 0053. Because 0061 still disables addon RAID controller support, I downgraded back to 0053, then BSOD came back with same settings as before the BIOS update.

• 11. Re: DZ77GA-70K: Windows 8 Pro RTM issues
                              Stijn Vancoillie

hello justin strunk,

did u already fix the problem with restart/shutdown with win8 in combination with this board???

i had the same problem before, but now i'm running win7 without any problems...

i have bios 60, not yet upgraded to 61...

my specs :

intel core i7 3770 with zalman cnps9900max

intel dz77ga-70k

16gb ddr3 corsair vengeance lp 1600 mhz

asus geforce gtx670 4gb

ssd corsair 240gb

wd hd 2tb