1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2014 9:05 AM by ja. RSS

USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

shade1989 Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

I connected an external hard drive (Hitachi Touro Desk Pro 2TB USB 3.0) to my laptop (ASUS N76VZ-DS71) to backup data. Whenever I try to transfer files from my laptop to the hard drive, the hard drive disconnects and reconnects again, disrupting the files transfer. When I transfer files from the hard drive to the laptop, it doesn't give that problem. My laptop has 4x USB 3.0 ports and I've tried all of them with a USB 3.0 cable. I also updated the drivers for the Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (version 1.0.5.235) on my laptop and that didn't help. I un-installed the Intel USB 3.0 Host Controller and the files were transferring fine from the laptop to the hard drive with USB 2.0 speed. Lastly I re-installed the Intel USB 3.0 Host Controller and it gave me the same problem when transferring files. How can I fix this problem?

Additional Information:

Chipset: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller - 1E59

• 1. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue
    Diego_Intel Community Member

Hello,

Could you please confirm if the issue persists using the latest firmware version provided by the hard drive manufacturer?

Also, have you tested that drive into another computer with support for USB 3.0 using a chip from a different manufacturer?

And, have you tested the USB 3.0 ports in your system using another type of USB 3.0 storage device?

• 2. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

I contacted the hard drive manufacturer for the latest firmware and they said that they don't have any new releases for their external hard drives.

I haven't tried the hard drive on another computer yet because I don't have another one available with USB 3.0 ports for testing.

I also haven't tried another USB 3.0 device yet either, but I ordered a USB 3.0 flash drive that will be arriving in a couple of days.

Something I did do was boot the laptop in safe mode. Surprisingly this worked, meaning the file copied flawlessly with USB 3.0 speed. I tested it 3 times with a USB 3.0 cable by copying a 13.5GB file. I also copied it with a USB 2.0 cable and these were the results by time:

13.5GB file with USB 2.0: 5 minutes 54 seconds

13.5GB file with USB 3.0: 3 minutes 7 seconds (all 3 times)

I booted the laptop in normal mode again to try it, but it gives the same problem by disconnecting the hard drive within the first few seconds of transfer. I don't know what safe mode does differently compared to a normal bootup, but whatever it is worked. That's all the updates I have for now.

• 3. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

Another update:

I've tested a USB 3.0 flash drive along with a USB 2.0 flash drive and I can confirm that it reads and writes at USB 3.0 speeds without any problems (this is with a normal boot-up and not safe mode).

I also restored my laptop to factory settings and tried to copy a file to my external hard drive, but it gave the same problem. I then flashed the latest BIOS on my motherboard and I got the same results.

EDIT:

I've tested the external hard drive on another Windows 7 computer (HP laptop) with USB 3.0 and it disconnects just like my laptop. I would think by now that the external hard drive or USB 3.0 cable might be faulty, but my question is why does it work fine in safe mode and not on a normal boot?

• 4. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue
    Saad Ashraf Community Member

I've had the same issue. pls try the following.

download the "USB 3.0: Renesas Electronics* USB 3.0 Driver"

install the driver, it would install the renesas usb3.0 host controller utility

open the utility and check the box "disable usb 3.0 power management function

hope this helps

• 5. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

Thanks Saad Ashraf, it did work

I just wish I had received this response a little earlier (I'm not putting any blame on anyone), because I bought a self-powered USB 3.0 hub which also seemed to do the trick.

• 6. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue
    Mark Neuert Community Member

Thanks for the answer Saad, as I was having this exact problem with my ASUS UX31A (also uses the HM76 Chipset) whenever I tried to make a system image.

I just wish there was a solution out there that allowed me to use the speed of the USB 3.0 port, as it seems that this solution limits the speed to USB 2.0 (I get a pop-up message when I check the disable 3.0 power management function saying "this device can go faster"). Hopefully there will be an update to the chipset that allows for me to use the full speed of the USB 3.0 port without my system image creation process failing.

• 7. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

I am not exactly sure as to why that would be happening Mark, I have tried this solution on multiple systems, one ASUS laptop and my own ASROCK mobo based system. The only common thing between the 2 would have been the Intel controller for the USB 3.0 ports and my external Hard drive and the combination worked flawlessly after the fix. I would recommend a re install of your original drivers or an update and then reapply this fix and maybe it might help.

• 8. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

Hmm...I'll look into it (I'm though with installing drivers for today :s)

Maybe I'm not 100% sure it's going at USB 2 speeds. I'll write an image on my portable external first with the power management functions disabled, then do the same thing on a different external hard drive with its own power source and the USB power management functions back on, and do a compare (I think the write speeds of both hard drives are the same) and let you know.

Thanks for the reply!

• 9. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

I should also add that I also tried multiple hard drives at all the systems and the issue I was facing was with my particular hard drive more than anything else and that is why I was leaning towards an issue with power management of some kind as I had similar issues with such devices in the past. Go for a Hard Drive which draws power from a separate supply instead of USB just to determine if the issue is persistent. Also most usb 2.0 transfers are capped around at 30 Mb/s so anything above it would be USB 3.0 but your specific hardware might not be pushing it to a higher level perhaps.

• 10. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue

Hello again Saad,

My mistake. I just did a test where I made an image twice on a single external drive with its own power source; once with the USB 3 power management functions off, and one with them on. I posted the same time for both of them. Also, doing a rough calculation, I got about 90 Mb/s transfer rate (very rough - just took the size of the image and divided it by the approximate time it took Windows to complete the image backup...I don't know how much of that time was spent doing things other than transferring data, and I also don't know the other limitations of my hardware).

Again, thanks so much for your help!!

• 11. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue
    tolg777 Community Member

Hi Saad,

I tried your recommendation

"download the "USB 3.0: Renesas Electronics* USB 3.0 Driver"

install the driver, it would install the renesas usb3.0 host controller utility

open the utility and check the box "disable usb 3.0 power management function".

When I launched the Utility it said " USB 3.0 Host Controller not found". My PC is HP Pavillion HPE h8-1234, it runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, its processor is AMD FX(tm)-6120-Six-Core 3.5 GHz. It has two USB 3 ports marked SS.  I know that data transfer to my USB3 Sans Digital TR5UT+B is exceeding 500 mbit/sec, so I believe it is USB3. I did disable USB selective suspend setting in Power Management.

Please help!

Tony

• 12. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue
    nauman Community Member

Dear,

I'm using Intel DH87MC with ci7 4770 (Bought them four days ago). I'm having problem with USB 3.0. Whenever I try to copy data to external disk say WD 500 GB My Passport Essentials, I got the message destination is not found. It appears that drive automatically disconnects and then reconnects.

Can you pl help me with this problem. Same drive works fine on my HP Probook 4540s. Also same drive works fine on USB 2.0 on my system.

Regards,

Nauman

• 13. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue
    Diego_Intel Community Member

Nauman,

What is the operating system being used and USB driver versions being used?

Have you loaded all drivers provided by Western Digital for that device?

Is that WD drive, a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 device?

• 14. Re: USB 3.0 & external hard drive issue
    nauman Community Member

OS is Windows 7 x64.

USB Driver Version is 2.5.0.19

It is Western Digital drive. It is s USB 3.0 device with support for USB 2.0. Similarly I'm using WD 1TB My Passport Essentials. It is also USB 3.0 device with support for USB 2.0.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points