1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 4:46 AM by manuelh

DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable

afcn

Hello

Running a DZ77GA-70K with BIOS version 0049 for roughly a week now. POST fails from time to time when the system is powered on (system will reboot and I get the prompt to enter the menu). Once in the BIOS GUI, I can basically change things at random, e.g.

- disable secondary SATA, save and exit and the system will boot just fine and run stable

- change memory speed from default to 1600 (using the XMP profile), save and exit and system runs again

- change memory speed back from 1600 to 1333, using the defaults, system will boot until the next POST failure

So I'm puzzled what could cause this. Is there a way to check the BIOS event log? I see the option to have it cleared in the GUI, but none to actually get it displayed. The manual mentioned the log, but no way to check it.

Troubleshooting done so far:

- exchanged RAM with another system, no effect

System details:

- Intel Core i7 3770K (not overclocked)

- Corsair Vengeance LP, 4x4GB, DDR3-1600, CL9

- primary SATA for SSD/disks, secondary SATA for DVD

- ASUS HD 7950 DirectCU II TOP 3GB, PCI-E x16 3.0, Intel graphics disabled

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
          blahblahblaaah

You must disabled secondary or disconnect the device from secondary SATA controller in order to allow Intel SATA controller to boot. Intel SATA controller, in RAID mode particularly, will freeze during boot if there's any 3rd party SATA controller enabled. It has been reported in this community, however, I spoke to tech support via live chat, they said they don't care and probably won't fix it.

• 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
            afcn

This Motherboard starts driving me crazy:

- power-on the system, POST fails and the system restarts (no chance to get the log displayed... and as the system reboots automatically, the nice POST code on the motherboard is useless, too).

- enter BIOS and change anything (really, anything, e.g. turn-off logging or change fan settings)

- save and restart and the system boots and runs rock solid

- wait a couple of days and the issues start over again

Anyway, I'll wait for the next BIOS and see if that fixes this. Otherwise I throw out this piece of rubbish and buy from another manufacturer. Never had such issues in years.

PS: yes, I exchanged RAM, CPU, all SATA devices etc. etc. with another system. No change in behaviour, except the other system (ASUS...) never ever has a POST failure.

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
              blahblahblaaah

I will stay away from Intel board next time. I never had any problem with Asus, and this board has TONS of problem with addon RAID/HBA controller card. And Intel doesn't give a crap about their customer.

• 4. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                springbok

I switched to Intel boards and CPUs many years ago to avoid the very incompatibility issues that now have me totally PO'd with my DZ77GA-70K and Intel as a whole. I wish I'd discovered this forum before I put out $600+ to replace a perfectly working system with a piece of crap that does not support add-on cards and devices that worked perfectly in my Intel DP55KG. Oh, and how does one contact Intel? Their hours overlap my working day except for less than two hours. Online chat, even when green, says no-one is available. "Still need assistance" lets you fill in a form to start email contact, then stops after making the selections with a message that says support for the DZ77GA-70K is available back on the same screen you started from. Intel gives new meaning to 'giving one the run around'. I don't have the patience to pay long distance to sit on the phone.

What similar boards from other manufacturers are DZ77GA-70K users switching to?

• 5. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                  Jason

What happens if you do not enter BIOS to make a change, does the board get stuck in a boot loop?

• 6. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                    blahblahblaaah

I tried Intel support via online chat and here's what I got from them:

Daniel: There are no intentions from Intel(R) to create a fix for this issue since Intel(R) motherboards are not designed to be compatible with RAID controllers,

I'm looking at Asus P8Z77-V PRO. The only difference is P8Z77-V PRO has no onboard eSATA (eSATA backplate adapter is included however), and only has one gigabit LAN port. There's one spec'd similar to this one from Gigabyte, GA-Z77X-UD5H, but I personally don't like Gigabyte very much.

• 7. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                      springbok

I fail to see why Intel can't support other manufacturer's RAID cards. I doubt this is a hardware issue, more likely 'marketing' policy, or they've lost control of the BIOS by farming out the programming to China. If that's not the case, Intel _should_ have enough in-house BIOS programming experience to be able to come up with a BIOS that can handle most other manufacturer's cards. I should know, I have 43+ years as a programmer from hardware interfaces to applications.

The irony is that both of my non-working adapters are SATA, non-RAID. One is PCI and worked in my DP55KG and the Intel board before that, the other is a brand new PCIe x4 card. I bought the DZ77GA-70K for its advanced features like 6GB/s SATA, USB 3.0, etc., but did not expect to find basic add-on cards to be a major show-stopper. I am saving up for a EVGA GeForce GTX69, which needs the DZ77GA-70K's electrical connectivity, but no way can I risk spending $1,000 on the chance that it _might_ work with the DZ77GA-70K. Easier to lose the $$ I put out on the DZ77GA-70K and replace this junk board, as painful as that will be.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will be researching them thoroughly and not going on blind faith this time.

• 8. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                        blahblahblaaah

springbok, there's a new bios, 053 for DZ77GA-70K today, have you tested it? see if it solved the problem?

• 9. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                          afcn

Jason,

yes, it will continue in the loop:

- power-on, POST failure, a short power-cycle (I hear the clicks from the power supply)

- ask if I want to enter the BIOS to adjust settings, if I select no (or enter the BIOS without saving), it just starts over again

- if I do change & save, system will quickly power-cycle and boot normally

by the way, my issue is not related to any RAID adapters, as I am not using them. Did anyone figure out how to get the POST log displayed?!

@Springbok I fully share your frustrations with support, being unable to contact any human being. Of course, I could try to get an RMA for the board with the dealer, but I do not really want to proof that I exchange everything and then wait weeks for a new board just to be back facing the same issue again...

Let's see what the new BIOS version brings. I'll upgrade later today.

• 10. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                            Filip

Hi guys,

just to say that I have updated the BIOS and I'm not using any expansion cards. Only a 500 GB HDD and an optical drive, together with a single stick of 4 GB DDR3 memory.

The problem persists on

Intel® Desktop Board DZ77BH-55K

as well. I don't think this has anything to do with RAID since I'm not using that configuration.

Rest of specifications:

i5-3570k (not clocked)

Corsair TX650v2

Had big hopes for this rig, already opted for a new graphics card, an SSD as well as another stick of DDR3, but I doubt it. If this problem doesn't get solved, I'm definitely buying another motherboard since it's obviously a faulty BIOS or something with the motherboard itself.

And when I remember I decided to get an Intel motherboard because they were marketed as STABLE.

• 11. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                              Jason

Did anyone figure out how to get the POST log displayed?!

In the BIOS there should be the menu:

Advanced > Event Log Configuration Menu > View Event Log.

Edit: I reread the documentation, that was true for older versions... I grabbed the wrong link at first.

• 12. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                                afcn

I don't see that menu in the graphical BIOS. If I want to switch to the classical one, I just see a grey screen.

By the way, flashing fails with the known "updating Intel Management Engine [failed!]"... trying to do it with F7 produces just a grey screen and the system hangs (could it be possible, that only the intel integrated graphics card is supported?!). I see, I made just an excellent choice when buying my first Intel board in a decade :-/

Working in the industry as well, I'm puzzled how this product could make it through QA... :-(

• 13. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                                  Jason

What is the BIOS version you are working with? Here is where I found the BIOS menus.

• 14. Re: DZ77GA-70K (0049): POST fails sometimes, unknown cause, system otherwise stable
                                    afcn

Now running 0053; resetting to default values before flashing did the trick.

But no chance to see any "Event Log" in the Visual Bios. I double-checked just now, looking at the BIOS glossary you linked. Either I'm blind or it's not there on my system... Any chance to post a screen shot?

1 2 Previous Next