4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 12:32 AM by larz9220

Which Raid Controller to use?

larz9220

I was installing the RAID AHCI Drivers using the F6 Floppy method, however a few steps later during the installation it asked me to insert the Intel Matrix Storage disk, I was told I could get around this error by slipstreaming the driver into the installation CD I'm using.

However I don't know which to use. My laptop is Sony Vaio Z2, it has a HM67 Series 6 Chipset I believe. I'm using 2 SSD's in a Raid 0 configuration.

Which of the following raid Controllers should I use? I already tried integrating all of them at once as I was told Windows would pick the correct one automatically, but this did not work.http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/sony/82725d1345602201-sony-vaio-z2-raid-controller-use-041826.jpg

• 1. Re: Which Raid Controller to use?
          allan_intel

Hi,

You need this: "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"

Since you have a RAID created, the driver you need is for Raid, not AHCI.

See here to download it:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=21730&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29&lang=eng

It's either f6flpy-x64.zip or f6flpy-x86.zip depending on your operating system version.

Thanks

Allan

• 2. Re: Which Raid Controller to use?
            larz9220

I need both Raid AND AHCI, I am installing Windows XP and XP does not have native support for AHCI. Also as stated in my first post, I am installing on a Laptop, not a desktop or server.

Regardless I tried using your driver, it does not work. BSOD. It gave me the error code which implies the lack of AHCI support. STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Do you know what I can do about this?

Allan or someone else, please respond, I am desperately in need of help.

Please!

• 3. Re: Which Raid Controller to use?
              parsec

The link you posted requires users to log in, so is no help.

If your board has two SATA controllers, you should use the Intel.

RAID supports AHCI mode completely, so you have that with an Intel RAID driver.

The IRST driver suggested above is compatible with your HM67 chipset, the name used does not matter.

Main question, what is the SATA mode set to in the BIOS when you install Windows? Is it XP 32 bit or XP 64 bit?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Which Raid Controller to use?
                larz9220

First of all THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING

I've been ignored for like 3 months having to repost my last reply several times, and even after sending direct messages to Allan I have gotten no response at all.

Second, sorry about the link, I uploaded to an external site, is this one working?

http://zsoekaki.net/oekaki/pictures/846.jpg

I'm not sure if the link is relevant anymore tho.

SATA Controller is set to Enabled naturally, since this is necessary for the Raid Controller to work

I know disabling this and switching to IDE Mode will make me install Windows XP without using the SATA AHCI Raid Driver but it will also kill my Raid Setup, the laptop has 2 SSD's running in Raid 0 and I would like to keep it this way of course

It's XP 32-bit

I managed to install XP 32 easily on the previous year model of this laptop, and the one I'm trying to install on now has Drivers for it and all, and full support for Windows XP 32-bit, it's just I can't seem to get Win XP Installation to recognize the SSD's, something the previous model could easily which was also running 2 SSD's in Raid 0. Again I must emphasize, Win XP IS fully supported by my laptop, on the website there are drivers and everything needed, it's just the SATA AHCI Driver they provided did not work and Sony support asked me to search help here since it's a chipset issue.