3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 11:01 AM by Greeno

First time PC builder : Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K Queries !!

intbaba

Hi friends since I am a first time PC builder I have a few queries :

Motherboard : Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K

SSD : Intel 520 series 180 GB

1. Is it possible to update the firmware of the mobo without installing OS + Processor +Ram via usb flash drive or can i just install the processor and ram and then update the bios? [Basically I am trying not to attach/install anything to the mobo before updating the firmware]
      2. What is high current USB 2.0 exactly? Can I charge my mp3 player/PS3 Controller etc with it? Is the high current USB 2.0 used to charge usb devices even when the PC is off? On my case front there are 2 USb 2.0 ports, should I connect them to normal USB 2.0 or high current?
      3. Since I am gonna install a graphics card as well shall i connect my monitor to my graphics card or the mobo HDMI?
      4. The Intel SSD connects to which 6gb/s port blue or grey and sata 0 or sata 1 ? Also is there any official Intel SSD tweaking guide for win 7 as there is so much different stuff on the net its very confusing.
      5. Finally are there any drivers or utilities I need to install before I do anything on a fresh Win 7 Install?

Thanks

• 1. Re: First time PC builder : Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K Queries !!
          Greeno

Afternoon mate.

1. Yes, download the .BIO from Intel's download center --> http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21571/eng/GA0049.BIO and boot your system. Press "F7" as the system is booting for the BIOS update program/utility. With the .BIO file on a USB stick (preferably formatted as FAT32) you can press Enter on the .BIO file and it will update it for you.

2. Yes, the Hi-Current USB is for exactly that.. it charges devices essentially... I'll see if I can get a better description for you though.

3. Graphics card. The "on-chip" VGA will likely be disabled with the presence of your 'discreet' card.

4. As you look down on the board from above, it's the 'back' blue port for port 0. Plug it in there. When you have Windows on, install the Intel SSD Toolbox (again, available from the Download Center) and this will update your drives firmware and you can run the Tweak/Tune-up utility and it will disable SuperFetch and things like that to optimise performance.

5. You need all of your system drivers mate, as well as Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 if you do not have it. Plus Windows Updates. Download Center <-- this is the link for your Windows 7 drivers.

You need :-

INF / Chipset
          Management Engine
          USB 3.0
          Audio
          LAN
          Graphics
          (Wireless/Bluetooth module if you've installed it)

at the VERY least.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: First time PC builder : Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K Queries !!
            intbaba

Thanx alot buddy !!

The Info you provided cleared alot of things for me. Still :

1. Can I update the bios by just connecting power supply and monitor to hdmi + keyboard ?

2. High current USB 2.0...can I connect it to front panel usb of the case ( recommended ?) Does it charge stuff even if pc is off?

3. what about virtu ability? is it any good?

4. What about enabling ahci in bios or something?

• 3. Re: First time PC builder : Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K Queries !!
              Greeno

Apologies for the late response...

For some reason, on multiple browsers - It wouldn't let me respond.

1) Yes... Mobo + CPU + PSU + RAM -- then you just need keyboard and on-board HDMI as you've suggested.
              2) Probably. Yes, it charges when the PC is off, though I believe you can probably set it to charge when on too in the BIOS.  Though, to be honest, I wouldn't hook up the front and I would just install ASUS's AiCharger .. (google it, it's excellent)

3) Never used it to be honest.

4 AHCI is the default setting these days and you don't require drivers for it for later versions of Windows.