1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 12, 2012 9:19 AM by RobD

DZ77GA-70K won't boot with USB3 external drive attached

Jaan Luts

Don't know if this is related to e-sata problem but the board won't boot with WD Passport 2TB USB3 drive attached. (Bios 0049)

It's giving a message that system encountered an unsuccesful post, do you want to enter the BIOS or try to boot?

When selecting boot it comes back with the same message and won't boot.

In BIOS the boot drive was still correct but WD drive showed as two separate drives: WD Passport drive and WD SES device!

When I disconnected the drive then the first boot ended with BSOD, on second attempt entered BIOS, saved the settings without changing anything and now it works again.

For information, the Marvell controller is disabled and Intel controller is set to RAID mode.

I've never encountered such a buggy Intel board, I've been using Intel boards for over 10 years because of their stability and quality but this one is a huge disappointment.

How do you release a BIOS like that Intel? e-Stata and USB3 drives attached make the board not bootable, unbelievable!

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K won't boot with USB3 external drive attached
          RobD

I can relate to you frustration! I too have used Intel exculsively because they didn't worry about overclock etc., just made the damn thing reliable which is the main requirement for me. Plain-Jane barebones no eyecandy rock solid does the job full stop!!

My old trusty Intel D875PBZ running a P4 extreme cpu with xp sp2 pro has been running non-stop 24 hrs a day for the last 10 years [it's a voice/fax office machine so must stay on] running photoshop, vegas 10, premier video capture plus a host of other apps with only the odd restart for updates, app install, cache clearing etc. and has never-missed-a-beat. Not one hang or bsod!

But, as I've said before elsewhere, I do cut a little slack because of the bus widths and hence trace densities coupled with the rf frequencies that they're trying to make them run at, is something of a design engineers nightmare!

The whole pcb is now one big shf radio, requiring rf design principles to be carefully considered. The copper traces are now not much more than waveguides for the signal to follow!

For an idea of what I'm talking about, just check out this Intel design guideline for usb2

That being said though, there does seem to be some issues here that are really grass roots problems that should have been picked up with only a modicum of RnD

I'll get off my box now and return to your problem - I have no idea!!   

But I can say that my DX79SR board suffers a hang at 5A with a usb hdd and wireless k/b dongle plugged into rear usb2 ports, and I too are sceptical about how the bios is configuring different devices at POST.