6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 12:43 PM by RobD RSS

IS IT MY INEXPERIENCE OR A DEFECTIVE BOARD?

casajsf Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

POST and W7 Install Problems with board DZ77GA-70K

Minimal Configuration: DZ77GA-70K; i7 3770K; Corsair 4x8GB, 1600MHz; OCZ Vertex 4 64GB; Vertex 4 256GB; Plextor PX-LB950SA-26; Seasonic SS-760KM.

1.    POST will not start with 32GB of memory (3 short beeps). Any combination of 2 of my 4 modules allows POST to proceed. Will the system recognize 32 GB when Windows 7 Professional is successfully installed, or is the board defective?

2.    I tried to upgrade my BIOS using a a USB thumb drive and instructions for F7 BIOS Flash Update. USB boot was enabled. There was no BIOS  response to my F7 activation. I am assuming that no operating system is required for this approach to work. What must I do?

3.    I decided to install Windows 7 with the board's native BIOS and boot from the Microsoft 64-bit DVD. Installation proceeded smoothly until "Installing Updates" was completed. There was no interaction required to format the 64GB SSD. I assume it occurred. Virtually no time was spent in "Completing Installation" and then a "Restart" was announced. Nothing happened except that the board reverted to State 12 on the POST code LED display and remained there.

What does anyone suggest I do now? How do I get the operating system to overwrite the SSD. I do not want to partition it. Do I have to erase the SSD on another computer since I do not have a working Operating System?

Thank you for any help you provide. Joe

• 1. Re: IS IT MY INEXPERIENCE OR A DEFECTIVE BOARD?
    Tolga Community Member

Are you able to get into BIOS? There should be a chance to get the BIOS version; it should be a pretty long string. Please post that string here. Looks like you're on a very old BIOS version and you should definitely try flashing the latest BIOS. You might need another keyboard - I had no issues with my Microsoft SideWinder X4. And you should press F7 over and over until the board gives you 'clicking' sounds. Thats definitely the next step you should take. Good luck !

• 2. Re: IS IT MY INEXPERIENCE OR A DEFECTIVE BOARD?
    casajsf Community Member

Thank you Tolga for your quick response and email. I have followed your suggestions with no success.

My BIOS version is: GAZ7711H.86A.0021.2012.0222.2054

and I want to replace this version 21 with version 49.  My version is certainly old.

I have placed the thumb drive in a USB 2.0 port rather than in a USB 3.0 port because the only reference in BIOS to bootable devices is "USB Disk 2.0 PMAP". This reference does not change if I relocate the thumb drive in 2.0 or 3.0 ports with restart. I also have selected "Boot USB Devices First" and I have placed "USB Disk 2.0 PMAP" at the top of the boot order. I have enabled USB Legacy and USB Ports 0 through 12 since I have 12 external USB connectors between my board and the case. Ports 13 through 18 have been disabled.

When the initial boot screen with skull appears I have to prompt with F10 to display the F2-F7-F10 options. I then press F7 repeatedly and nothing happens. If I press F10 I get a BIOS screen.

By the way, I am using an old Kinesis Keyboard which I love and am waiting for an operating system to install an alternate wireless keyboard. Can you offer any more suggestion? I am certainly open to them. Joe

• 3. Re: IS IT MY INEXPERIENCE OR A DEFECTIVE BOARD?
    Tolga Community Member

Well, your BIOS seems to be very old - that's not good. I'm pretty sure, that almost all of your problems will be gone, if you update your BIOS to the latest version. So, there are basically 3 ways of updating. Either via F7 method (try formatting another USB thumbdrive with FAT32 filesystem and just copy over the .BIO file and try another wired keyboard), via IFlash (first, you should create a DOS USB Stick and copy over "IFlash.exe" and the .BIO file; if it doesn't boot, you should try creating a DOS CD - I have no experiences about that, you have to Google, sorry) or via Express Flash on Windows 7 / XP. If you're unable to update your BIOS with the F7-method or the IFlash-method, try installing Windows XP and try Express Flash. What Express Flash does is, that it extracts the update files and then automatically reboots your mainboard in flash-mode to update your BIOS.

I wish you best luck !

Here's a video to create a DOS USB-Stick -> Make DOS Bootable USB Stick - YouTube.

• 4. Re: IS IT MY INEXPERIENCE OR A DEFECTIVE BOARD?
    RobD Community Member

If you use F7 mode, the flash drive must be fat file system only [fat12, 16, 32] and plugged to a usb2 port.

You only need the .bio file on the drive for F7 mode.

You do not need to boot the usb drive for F7 mode.

If your pressing F10 to see other prompts, then bios will no longer recognise any other F key press which is why F7 is ignored and you end up with the F10 boot menu.

You should be able to get to F7 flash by simply continuosly pressing F7 at power on until you hear a system beep or Post has finished and bios is moving on to other option roms e,g, raid utility.

It would appear that the F2 F7 F10 prompts are set to disable in bios, though this only stops them being displayed on the screen, bios will still recognise any F key press [but only the first one pressed! ].

So you could also press F2 repeatedly to get bios, then go to the boot menu or wherever the 'enable/disable prompts' are in your bios and re-enable them.

Be carefull of flashing from the desktop or by bootable drive and iflash.exe, they can have their pifalls!

F7 and only .bio file is safest.

• 5. Re: IS IT MY INEXPERIENCE OR A DEFECTIVE BOARD?
    casajsf Community Member

Thanks for your response Tolga and RobD.

You were right on all counts. I purchased an inexpensive keyboard with standard mouse and attached them to my two USB 2.0 external ports. I then had to move the thumb drive to a USB 3.0 port. Upon BIOS entry and a single F2 action I was able to select "USB DISK 2.0 PMAP" and launch the GA0049.bio file to update my BIOS.

I then installed my remaining 16GB of memory but experienced the same 3-beep memory error allert that I previously referred to. So I again returned to 16GB memory in DIMMs 1 and 2.

Windows 7 installed flawlessly. I then launched "Intel Express Installer" and all software installed except for "Consumer IR Driver" and "Pro Network Connections". The former Driver failed and the latter hung up. When I relaunched Intel Express Installer the application failed to initialize successfully with error E0441203, and I was instructed to check online later for a solution. I am not yet on line and wonder if I have a problem.

After one instance of 3 beeps I successfully added 8GB of memory to DIMM 3 for a total of 24GB. The system will not accept the remaining 8GB in DIMM 4. Do you have any suggestions? Is there advantage in retaining dual channel memory with an even number of modules?

Scott Mueller in his 19th Edition of  "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" recommends RAID mode for the Drive Configuration even if RAID will not be used. He claims that in this mode I will have full AHCI functionality and easy RAID migration. Do you recommend that I do this with my board?

Thank you for any assistance. Joe

• 6. Re: IS IT MY INEXPERIENCE OR A DEFECTIVE BOARD?
    RobD Community Member

With regard ir driver fail, if there's no cir device plugged to the header then the driver will not install.

With regard lan driver hang, I experienced the same issue on DX79SR board, but the driver did not hang, it just took an insanely long time - 5+ mins to install.

I then discovered on subsequent installs of win 7 x64, that if I first installed all windows updates then the lan driver installed in 30 secs.

Same was true for the usb3 drivers - without win updates, very long time to install with huge slowdown in win boot time. With updates installed - lightning fast driver install and no boot time slowdown.

With regard AHCI V raid, I would expect that there is very little if any difference between AHCI and non-raid raid [raid mode with unconfigured drives] as both modes support ncq.

If the choice in bios is only ide or raid, then for sure, choose raid.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points