12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 11:26 AM by henrik_intel

DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2

orsag

Hi there,

I would like to ask whether you are planning to add support for the Intel Xeon E3-1265Lv2 to the board Intel DQ77KB (if it is possible at all, ofc). The board supports Intel Xeon E3-1260L and the new Ivy Bridge Core iX CPUs too, hence I do not see the reason why should not be the Xeon supported too.

• 1. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
          Rod

The Xeon E3-1265LV2 and other 3rd Gen ivy bridge E3 XEON CPU's are most likely compatible with the DQ77KB as they are now appearing on the list for some earlier (pre Gen 3) release motherboards. For example see here Intel® Server Board S1200KP

Please also Note: that although they list the E3-1220L (not what your asking about but I mention for other readers) as needing an additional GPU card (as it has no on-board GPU) the DQ77KB motherboard listing says it has a One PCI Express* 3.0 x16 bus add-in card connector but the pictures actually show it only has the smaller 1 x PCI-e x8 slot and there are only 1 or 2 GPU cards in the world that can fit that slot size without a special PCI-E adapter or by hacking and cutting down the GPU card edge connector itself on a normal x16 card. So unless you want a headless (using the E3-1220L without video) PC unit then BUYER BEWARE!

• 2. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
            orsag

Thanx for your answer. However, your link is reporting to another board - Intel Server Board S1200KP. I am merely interested in the DQ77KB. In the compatibility list found here: http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DQ77kb, there is not the Xeon E3-1265v2 listed, yet.

• 3. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
              Tolga

I have just ordered an E3-1245v2 for my ASUS P8C WS. But I will also test compability with my DH77DF for you guys. If it works with DH77DF, it should also work with DQ77KB. Stay tuned, it should either arrive tomorrow or monday.

• 4. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                Tolga

I've just tested the E3-1245v2 with my DH77DF (latest BIOS 0095) and it just worked well. There is no reason, why a Q77 board shouldn't support Ivy Xeons, when H77 chipsets do. So, you can safely upgrade your CPU. Still, you do it on your own risk!

20120811_185329.jpg

• 5. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                  aluminum

Yes, would an exact match work?

I bought the xeon because it was easier to find, the nearly identical 45W 3770T only come OEM packaged from places I've never shopped before, even with shipping this was still cheaper shipped retail boxed.

According to the bios release notes all retail DQ77KB should have version 0038 or later:

q77_xeon.jpg

Has anyone tried xeon + ecc on any of the recent 1155 boards? I know its "not supported blah blah" but if the all the dimm traces are there and the bios isn't too neutered it may be possible. I would see if it boots and run memtest for kicks but unbuffered ddr3 ecc so-dimms are very rare unlike their desktop brothers.

(BTW, If I made a dollar every time something "not supported" worked just fine or even better than "the standard", I could retire)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                    orsag

Thank you very much. I have purchased the board and CPU. Have you, by any chance, measured the power consumption of your setup? Which power supply do you use for the board?

• 7. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                      Rod

@Aluminium

Very nice...Good reason to by E3-1265LV2 over the i7-3770T too plus bonus ECC support...AND yes I would love (may even support with #some# small cash sponsorship in return for pics and a report) to know if you or anyone else is successful in purchasing (suitable 8GB ECC UDIMM SO-DIMMS e.g. amp inc - Memory Products: DDR3 - 204 Pin Unbuffered ECC SODIMM) and testing this #feature# on the DQ77KB. It is such a great motherboard layout.

I have the Server Board S1200KP and earlier DQ67EP, both which are nowhere near as great as the DQ77KB specs but the SK1200KP (and SK1200KPR) does support normal full size 8GB ECC UDIMMS (and a few other options see list below).  BUT those ECC UDIMMS are rather expensive (more than double to quadruple the cost) compared to normal NON-ECC DIMMS.  I am waiting on my E3-1265LV2 and expensive ECC UDIMMS to arrive.

I (and I suspect many others besides you and I) would love to somehow be able to mix the benefits of these two motherboards together.

# ECC RAM (Not on DQ77KB)

# vPro(on DQ77KB with proper CPU) / AMT 7.0 (not implemented on S1200KP/R even though C200 chipset and a suitable CPU support AMT 7.0)

# Mini-ITX (BOTH) (Thin Mini-ITX with DC 12-19V is a very nice bonus on the DQ77KB)

# DUAL 1G Ethernet (on BOTH)

# USB 3.0 (4 on DQ77KB and NONE on S1200KP)

# mini PCI-E (1 or 2 half or full would be great) (Not on S1200KP)

# PCI-E x4 (DQ77KB) to x16 (S1200KP) expansion slot with bifurcation (passive port splitting supported on S1200KP by C206 chipset which allows this type of expansion ARC1-PELY423-C7 not sure about DQ77KB)

# Video->Display Port/eDP (DQ77KB) / HDMI Port(DQ77KB) / DVI(S1200KP) / LVDS (DQ77KB)

• 8. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                        aluminum

Filip Orsag wrote:

Thank you very much. I have purchased the board and CPU. Have you, by any chance, measured the power consumption of your setup? Which power supply do you use for the board?

Not yet, its not completely built, but it will end up being a fanless router for me.

For now using an older 90W laptop adapter, but it is warm even with nothing plugged in aka "dumb brick" and constantly wastes electricity. I found a cheap new-style 130W slim adapter similar to ones at work that run cool, will hook it to a killawatt once its finished. (overkill, but it was cheap and most psus are best at 20~50% load anyways)

I would imagine while idle its very low power as ivy bridge has been good for that and I don't see how it could use much more than ~50W with all cores maxed given the cpu thermal rating.

• 9. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                          aluminum

Rod wrote:

@Aluminium

Very nice...Good reason to by E3-1265LV2 over the i7-3770T too plus bonus ECC support...AND yes I would love (may even support with #some# small cash sponsorship in return for pics and a report) to know if you or anyone else is successful in purchasing (suitable 8GB ECC UDIMM SO-DIMMS e.g. amp inc - Memory Products: DDR3 - 204 Pin Unbuffered ECC SODIMM) and testing this #feature# on the DQ77KB. It is such a great motherboard layout.

I have the Server Board S1200KP and earlier DQ67EP, both which are nowhere near as great as the DQ77KB specs but the SK1200KP (and SK1200KPR) does support normal full size 8GB ECC UDIMMS (and a few other options see list below).  BUT those ECC UDIMMS are rather expensive (more than double to quadruple the cost) compared to normal NON-ECC DIMMS.  I am waiting on my E3-1265LV2 and expensive ECC UDIMMS to arrive.

I (and I suspect many others besides you and I) would love to somehow be able to mix the benefits of these two motherboards together.

# ECC RAM (Not on DQ77KB)

# vPro(on DQ77KB with proper CPU) / AMT 7.0 (not implemented on S1200KP/R even though C200 chipset and a suitable CPU support AMT 7.0)

# Mini-ITX (BOTH) (Thin Mini-ITX with DC 12-19V is a very nice bonus on the DQ77KB)

# DUAL 1G Ethernet (on BOTH)

# USB 3.0 (4 on DQ77KB and NONE on S1200KP)

# mini PCI-E (1 or 2 half or full would be great) (Not on S1200KP)

# PCI-E x4 (DQ77KB) to x16 (S1200KP) expansion slot with bifurcation (passive port splitting supported on S1200KP by C206 chipset which allows this type of expansion ARC1-PELY423-C7 not sure about DQ77KB)

# Video->Display Port/eDP (DQ77KB) / HDMI Port(DQ77KB) / DVI(S1200KP) / LVDS (DQ77KB)

I think you are going to compromise too much get even more slots out of an itx + custom riser and it wouldn't be thin anymore. Maybe look at the DQ77MK which would be almost the same footprint or volume in a smaller case. Sounds like you are using more for 'server' stuff like me and don't need the AIO pc features like thin profile or lvds etc, but just guessing. Being able to use super common and cheap 19V adapters is awesome though. (BTW, pdf says does not work with 12V)

But I am dying to try out ecc on the desktop vpro chipsets. Right now I'm more looking for an excuse to build another computer with regular size ecc udimms, can't justify it with the itx.

One 8GB ecc so-dimm is over $200 (if you can find it) thats crazy! I could buy the DQ77MK and 32GB of standard size ecc for under $500, throw in a xeon and you have a very capable mini server platform. If the ram doesn't work, it wouldn't be as hard for me to return/resale/reuse in another system.

If it works it would be amazing, and I bet more would jump on the "boardwagon"

Many server 1155 boards from the usual vendors seem to be missing a lot of useful features, and right now months after ivy bridge launch there is still only one shipping C216 board that does not appeal to me at all. (asus p8c ws: no AMT, no VT-d are they serious?!)

• 10. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                            henrik_intel

@aliminum

Just saw this post and I'm about to buy this particular mobo / cpu combo for a small all-purpose server.

Have you tried the vPro/AMT KVM thingy that is supposed to give you full out-of-band management.

I can't find a confirmation that the E3-1265LV2 together with the DQ77KB will actually provide the KVM functionality.

Perhaps I'm lucky enough that you can confirm this?

TIA,

Henrik

• 11. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                              Rod

@Henrik

I have both those items (E3-1265LV2 together with the DQ77KB) in my possession and can confirm the remote KVM works BUT the caveat is you cannot use remote KVM over the Internet unless you have a special AMT server setup which is both complex to do and defeats the main purpose of having a remote KVM for a small server using this technology anyway.  So the AMT KVM tech cannot really be used as a way to support a server at home or in a small business unless you can have another server setup as a proxy to gain access to this one.  It is all tied up with security versus the functionality we all want and is a shame really.

I would point you too the relevant AMT documentation but it is a nightmare to decipher and find this stuff on the Intel site as there are some many old tools and editions of the AMT software that almost every time I go searching I end up doing my head in and regret even starting.  So I will leave that JOY to you...merry Xmas!

Rod.

• 12. Re: DQ77KB and Xeon E3-1265LV2
                                henrik_intel

@Rod

Great! Well... Not so great... :-)

Thank you very much for your answer and heads-up on the strange proxy requirement.

I will try and have a look at this later.

/Henrik