Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

How Does Intel HD Graphics Allocate Memory?

idata
Employee

I have Intel HD 3000 Graphics and no dedicated GPU in my computer. I have 12GB of memory. My minimum graphics memory is 32MB, and my maximum graphics memory is ~1.7GB. When I try to play games on high settings they lag and are unplayable, so I must play on low settings. The graphics memory in use is never greater than ~260MB and my used physical memory stays below 50%. Why doesn't it even come close to using the maximum graphics memory of ~1.7GB?

My guess at an answer is that additional graphics memory won't help in this particular scenario because the limiting factor is the Intel GPU itself. If this is true, is the up to ~1.7GB graphics memory only used when running multiple applications? If not, when would more of the ~1.7GB be used?

Thanks in advance for your response.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Marcos_U_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The graphics memory is not only used when running multiple applications. It is only used when the software you are using requires it.

In most cases, the computer manufacturer has already configured the system to use the maximum amount of graphics memory that is possible for your particular computer model. Sometimes you can change these values through BIOS level.

Check with your computer manufacturer if there are tips on increasing the amount of graphics memory for your computer model.

If you are interested in additional information see graphics memory frequently asked questions:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029090.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029090.htm

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alright. Well I'm just curious then, why an application (such as a laggy video game) would not benefit from using a larger amount of the graphics memory (i.e why it would use only 260MB when 1.7 GB are available). Is the application just not optimized to run on this hardware?

0 Kudos
Marcos_U_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The reason an application uses a certain amount of graphics memory instead of the total amount of 1.7 GB is because your computer manufacturer has already configured the system to use the maximum amount of graphics memory that is possible for your particular computer model. Furthermore, the amount of video memory depends on your computer manufacturer, and not the application.

Regard

Michael

0 Kudos