1 2 3 4 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2012 6:28 AM by Sammy J RSS

DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage

prospero424 Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Yesterday I updated to the new 0083 BIOS (from 0070) and immediately I noticed problems on the first fresh boot.  First off, as others have reported the power light just blinks all of the time as if the system were asleep.  Secondly, after the first successful boot it would subsequently get stuck in a POST loop upon being powered on. The system would power up, it would begin POST, but would then not even get to the presentation of the access hotkeys (F2 to enter BIOS, F7 to update BIOS, etc.).  Yes, I did load the system defaults from within both the visual BIOS and the classic BIOS immediately after updating the BIOS, so lingering settings couldn't have been the problem.

I was eventually able to get back to the point where I could flash from a USB stick back to version 0070 by using the back-to-BIOS button on the rear panel of the mobo and just waiting through 6 or 7 reboot loops until it finally let me get into the BIOS update utility.  I flashed it back to 0070, loaded defaults again, but it still does the same thing now!!!  After at least 50 unsuccessful boot attempts, I can now get it to boot roughly half of the time if I remove one of my DIMMs and leave it in single channel mode.  Maybe half...

Memory is Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX.  CPU is Core i5-3750K. And no, I never do any overclocking. This machine is a workstation.  It is for work.

If this were the beginning of my troubles, I wouldn't be so upset.  But this is the fifth MAJOR problem I have had with this board since purchase.  The first set of Corsair modules I purchased would not POST on this board (three beeps) even though they worked in every other system I tried them in and they passed memory integrity checks.  The second set is the Kingston DIMMs mentioned above, and I had to manually set them to 1600Mhz if I wanted them to run them faster than 1333.  Again: they worked fine in the other boards (Asus, Gigabyte) I tried them on.  Then I found out that the front panel USB 3.0 header just doesn't work on ANY of these boards. At all. Lovely.  Worked diligently with Intel support to arrange to have my board shipped back to them so their engineers could take a look at it, going OUT OF MY WAY to work with their support staff, doing an amount of troubleshooting that no rational entity could possibly expect an end user to do.  This was tens of hours of work in troubleshooting and eliminating possible causes.  And after that I finally got them to agree  to cross-ship me a replacement only to then be ignored for almost a FULL MONTH before they randomly contacted me out of the blue saying "oh hey, you ready to ship us that board now".  You can imagine my response.  Polite but seething.

And now this.

So I went out and bought a third model of DIMMs that my buddy had used without trouble (Samsung Green DDR3L1600 Model MV-3V4G3D/US) today, and lo and behold I insert them and everything seems to work fine with the reverted 0070 BIOS.

So yeah, BEWARE.  BIOS version 0083 demonstrably damaged my system memory to the point where the system would not boot. I would strongly suggest avoiding this version.  I'm sick to death of dealing with Intel support, but this is so outrageous that I'm going to have to contact them and demand some sort of action.  I have literally lost hundreds of dollars dealing with their piece of junk product and thousands of dollars worth of my time.

I've said it before in heated moments of frustration, but I really mean it: I will NOT be buying any more Intel Desktop boards, and I will NOT be recommending them.  This product never should have been allowed to go to market with this pathetic level of DRAM validation and product testing, and support should have provided me with a replacement without requiring me to jump through hoops - hoops that they then yanked out of the way as I tried to jump through them!  It's beyond ridiculous. I just want a refund for this motherboard so I can purchase from another manufacturer, but that's not going to happen.  So angry with this. No excuse for it whatsoever.

Caveat Emptor!

• 1. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    Shaun Community Member

Hey I have the same board, and trust me I know your frustration! I literally joined this site right now to reply to you. I figured out how to fix the blinking power button:

1) Turn off the computer, and turn the power supply switch off/unplug the power supply from the wall.

2) Wait about 10 seconds then press the power button on your case, hold for about 5 seconds then release

3) turn power supply switch back on/plug power supply back into wall.

4) Power system back on like normal.

This worked for me, now my power light isn't blinking!

• 2. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    prospero424 Community Member

Thanks, Shaun!  I'm very hesitant to upgrade back to 0083 for fear of further damage, but if I do I'll give that a shot.

• 3. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    Shaun Community Member

I spoke too soon, I shutdown the computer, and when I powered it back up, I got the blinking!

Intel really needs to fix these issues, My Front Panel USB 3.0 doesn't work either, USB 2.0 or 3.0 devices get power, but never show up in device manager!

I've also always said Intel desktop boards are great, but they dropped the ball on this board, it's been out for like 6 months now, and only 2 bios updates, yet this board has a ton of issues. I hope tech support passes all these issues we are having to the engineers so they can fix them.

• 4. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    phil_l Community Member

Hi

My power light isn't flashing now from standby, I presume if I reboot it will start flashing again.

As for fan settings, it seems any change I make to the fan settings (changes to temperature settings for cooling) in the Visual BIOS cause my fans to run full speed all the time thereafter, this bug was reported by myself and a few others with BIOS version 70.  I have to go into the Classic BIOS and reset to defaults to get fans back to normal, I can then make the same settings to fans in the Classic BIOS and it works as expected, so a bug in the Visual BIOS.  Also the memory overclocking assistant, which I need to use to get my memory to run at 1600Mhz still has the bug where when you slide it to 1600Mhz and back down again it doesn't revert to 1333MHz, again.  Then on sliding back up, it remains at 1600Mhz but all the timings change again!

I can't see the point of the Visual BIOS eye candy, one it doesn't seem to work as well as BIOS of old, and secondly Intel would be better off spending the time just getting the BIOS bug free without having to worry about fancy graphics.

Hopefully now Intel has conceded back in June they are struggling with BIOS firmware and have outsource to Pheonix, things will get better.  Certainly the last Intel board I buy, there is no advantage in going with Intel at all.

Regards

Phil

• 5. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    Shaun Community Member

I never use the Visual Bios, just classic bios, as like you I had a few issues.

• 6. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    RobD Community Member

"I can't see the point of the Visual BIOS eye candy, one it doesn't seem to work as well as BIOS of old, and secondly Intel would be better off spending the time just getting the BIOS bug free without having to worry about fancy graphics."

Here, Here!!!! My thoughts exactly!! Gigabyte have their 3d bios and its a slow, clunky waste of eeprom space!

Pleeeeese Intel, forget the eye candy, stick with plain jane keyboard driven only bios!!

I can drive a bios much faster with a keyboard than a mouse!! I will never use a mouse to drive a bios!

• 7. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    Michael Smith Community Member

I have two of the DZ77BH-55K boards.

I was only minutes away from updating the bios from version 070 to 083, after reading your post I have decided against it.

These are the issues I have running BIOS version 070.

1.  I have a wireless keyboard and mouse in Visual BIOS the keyboard doesn't work and the mouse cursor jumps madly about the screen.

2.  I run an OCZ SSD, every time the PC comes out of sleep it locks up.

3. The USB 3.0 front panel connectors don't work and bring up an over current warning.

4. If I connect a USB 2 device to the USB 3.0 back panel socket with a lead longer than  2 metres, I receive an error message "Unknown Device"

There are more minor issues.

I was hoping that BIOS version 080 would address these and not cause more problems.

I have previously run a DP45SG and a DG45ID, two boards that Intel should hang their head in shame about. They never worked properly and actually got worse with each BIOS update.

For mine, Visual BIOS at this time is an unnesessary gimmick, Intel need to concentrate on getting their boards working before release them otherwise dissatified customers will choose other more reliable board manufacturers.

I to have spent many hours trying to fix problems with past boards created by Intel. If Intel do not bite the bullet and fix the issues with this board (at least listen to what customers are saying and respond with some useful help) I will get rid of the DZ77BH-55K boards and never buy another Intel board. : -(

• 8. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    jim davis Community Member

I updated to the new bios successfully without any problems so far.

Have not checked yet to see if has solved any of the glitches I'm having with the board.

Jim

• 9. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    Michael Smith Community Member

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, may not be all bad. I still don't know if I am game to upgrade the BIOS. Like to hear of more success stories first.

Can I ask what glitches you had and what  OS and RAM you run.  Do you run a SSD?

I run Windows 7, Home Premium 32 bit with 4Gb Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 and 128Gb OCZ Vertex 3 Max iops

Michael

• 10. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    jim davis Community Member

I do have a Sandisk Extreme SSD as my primary HD. Intel 3570k i5 processor. 500 gig WD 6 gb HD for the secondary drive. 16 gigs Corsair ram [1600 - don't have the part # handy]. EVGA gtx570 graphics card.

One big glitch has been getting the ram to run at 1600. I have 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance but previously tried some Kingston 1600. When I populate all 4 slots with ram and set it to 1600 sometimes the machine will boot and sometimes not. I get the 3 beep error and the only thing I can do then is remove the ram from the 4th slot. It has done this with two boards - I returned the first one, thought it was bad. It also did it with the Kingston memory, so It's not the memory or a bad board. Tried some different settings, profiles etc. I finally just left the Corsair memory to run at default 1333 and have no problems.

My other glitch is that the rear usb 3.0 ports will not redetect a Seagate Go-Flex 3.0 external drive that I have. When connected to the front ports it works just fine. It starts and shuts down every time every time along with the computer. When plugged in to any of the rear 3.0 ports I get an error message in the device manager that it cannot be started. If I'm not mistaken the front ports are controlled by the Renesas controller and the rear by the Intel controller so this may be a controller issue. It's frustrating. I've tried reinstalling drivers etc to no avail.

The bios just acts funny. A lot of times I get the message saying that bios changes have been detected and do I want to try booting with previous setting or go into bios y/n? This can happen even when nothing at all has been changed.

Jim

• 11. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    RobD Community Member

jim davis wrote:

One big glitch has been getting the ram to run at 1600. I have 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance but previously tried some Kingston 1600. When I populate all 4 slots with ram and set it to 1600 sometimes the machine will boot and sometimes not. I get the 3 beep error and the only thing I can do then is remove the ram from the 4th slot.
    Jim

When you say 'slot 4' do you mean the slot furtherest from the cpu, or the one labelled as dimm 4 in the manual which is 3rd from cpu?

• 13. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    RobD Community Member

Ok, that's interesting. I wonder if it's because some memory is less tolerant to signal timing v. trace length differences. At these frequencies it's something that has to be given carefull consideration when designing the pcb layout and even the dimm pcb layout.

Differences in propagation delay is not your friend here and is the very reason that many buses have moved from parallel to serial.

• 14. Re: DZ77BH-55K update to BIOS version BHZ7710H.86A.0083 caused major damage
    Shaun Community Member

visual bios is fine, and on my "old" gigabyte board it worked great. I just wish intel would start fixing the issues, USB 3.0 header being a huge issue!

Hopefully they release a new bios soon to fix the flashing power light, and USB 3.0 header/front panel.

I've tried calling intel, talking to tech support, but really they try to make me troubleshoot stuff, which I've already done. I wish I could just say, listen the only way this can be fixed is with a bios update, it's not the consumer that screwed up, it's intel, tell the engineers theses issues, and have someone fix it.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points