0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 9:48 AM by vtailor

Using Linuxes that cooperate to run the 3650 graphics chip

vtailor

I have all kinds of Linuxes running on separate partitions of my DN2800 desktop board, including a partition devoted to MeeGo. One thing I have found out is that available benchmarks (e. g., the Peacekeeper) are in a narrow range, with or without specific pvr powervr graphics, with or without one or another adaptation-pc kernel. You can tell me that MeeGo has superior 3d graphics, but any other Linux using the adaptation-pc kernel and a custom-compiled 'fbdev-drv.so' for graphics produces a satisfactory lumpy-looking desktop using the 3650, with no noticeable penalty in performance. In fact, data indicates that the swrast dri driver for fbdev_drv.so is using the adaptation-pc provided /dev/dri to render directly.

As for tthe entertainment aspect of the 3650, google-chrome has a most recent beta with a hidden surprise: It can be used as a high-definition video player by pointing it at a suitable ogg or mpeg4 file on your system (e. g., URL: /home/tux/Videos/BugsBunny.ogg). All you need to make this happen is Xine and the xine-plugin; or mplayer and the mplayer-plugin; or totem and the totem-plugin. Have one of these installed, and the ffmpegsumo.so chrome browser library comes into play, with at least 720p full screen, full-speed video, and synchronized audio. And it does this without using an accelerator chip. So long as Google continues to provide this surprise generosity, ANY dual-cpu atom in the 1.6 and better cpu speed can be made to reproduce high-definition videos at 50% or less cpu utilization.

I'll tell you from running tests that it is not worth the trouble to install any Linux that tries to use the emgd junk available from Intel. It is most certainly a good idea to get MeeGo and adapt it, or copy its video system and kernel to another Linux.