Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Am I safe to 'unpark' cores?

idata
Employee

I have a i7-3820 that I use with Windows 7.

The computer is used strictly for gaming where I want the best absolute performance at all times. Windows 7 will park cores, and unpark them as needed. A lot of gaming forums recommend 'unparking' cores for a slight bump in performance. Most people seem to use a mod to help them do it quickly and cleanly ( link to mod: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility Coder Bag: Disable CPU Core Parking Utility ).

My question:

Regardless of whether performance is increased, is there any harm that I am doing to my processor by unparking those cores? My understanding from all the reading I've done suggests that the parking of cores is mostly just a power saver - and that there is no risk to unparking the cores. But, I'd like to ask the people who truly matter in this respect ... ie. Intel.

So, any actual harm to unparking cores?

Thx in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn my friends at Intel.

I've got two gaming computers with the cores unparked now - and I want to make sure this isn't a BAD thing. Just need a wee bit of reassurance from you good folks .

So, bump!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That specific application is not validated by Intel. Doing that you could experience random behaviors that may not be good for the processor and it could suffer damage because of that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you.

As I don't see much in the way of improvement, I'll be safe and reverse the process.

Cheers and thx Luis.

0 Kudos