1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 1:36 PM by Eurometal RSS

Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

Starchild Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

I just upgraded to an Intel SSD 520 240 GB and I am experiencing a problem which never occurred with my previous HDD: a BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

My system specifications are as follows:

• Asus U20A Notebook
  • Intel Dual-Core ULV SU7300 1.3 GHz
  • Mobile Intel GS45 Express Chipset + ICH9M
  • 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM
  • Intel GMA X4500MHD Graphics

I have disabled Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM), Host Initiated Link Power Management (HIPM) and Link Power Management (LMP). The problem occurs sometimes with Microsoft's AHCI drivers, and everytime with Intel's Rapid Storage Technology 10.8.0.1003 drivers. No minidumps are created.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    hans_otto Community Member

Dear Starchild,

I have exactly the same problem on an HP 6930p. Intel support says (amongst others) that they have "not received any other reports from customer regarding this issue" and "The issue is most likely related to the power management in the system, not necessarily the SSD."

I don't really agree with this opinion, since the issue occured with standard settings.

Therefore, it would be good if you report the issue to Intel support. Hopefully, 2nd and 3rd level support will deal with the issue after enough complaints.

Thanks,

Hans

• 2. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

I have contacted Intel Support and they were not helpful.

• 3. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

I'm still testing, but so far, this problem seems to be resolved after upgrading to IRST 11.6.0.1030.

• 4. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    Ohad Community Member

Hi,

Unfortunately, I encountered the exact same issue, BSOD upon resuming from sleep.

I have the Intel SSD 520 series my machine is: Lenovo T430 (with IVB CPU).

with Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller - 1E03

Dear intel support, how many sightings of the issue you guys need to open a defect and work to release a fix?

Thanks in advance

Ohad

• 5. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    4fission Community Member

I have this problem as well.  In fact, I came to these forums to report this very issue.  This seems to happen with the latest version of the Intel RST drivers.  Once I uninstall the drivers and make sure I go back to Window's generic drivers, everything starts working fine again.

• 6. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

As I reported in my other thread...

Unfortunately, it appears that updating to the latest IRST corrupted my SSD, causing explorer.exe and other Windows components to crash constantly and requiring the SSD to be scanned before each boot to recover bad sectors. This was the last straw. I sold the SSD and purchased a Samsung 830 and I've never been happier.

• 7. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    Kent Community Member

I have the same issue. Upgraded an Asus U50a notebook with SSD 520 240 GB last night, now Windows 7 freezes upon resume from sleep. Did a clean os re-installation, checked drivers (using Microsoft AHCI), no change. Acts as if the ssd does not power on resume from sleep S3. After a reboot all is fine, and the Intel ssd toolbox does not find any problem.

• 8. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    david_m Community Member

Starchild,

I had the  problem with BSOD on resume from sleep after cloning my existing hard drive to an Intel 330 SSD.  This is in an Asus x83-vb laptop (manufactured January 2009) with the Intel Centrino platform.

To make the issue easier to troubleshoot, I then did a secure erase of the Intel 330 180 GB SSD and limited my subsequent experimentations to clean installs off my Win7 Pro 64 retail disk.  The clean installs also had the BSOD on resume problem.  I couldn't find a cure and RMA'd the Intel 330 back to Newegg.

The brand new replacement Intel 330 SSD wasn't any better.  By then, I'd read everything I could find on the web and tried all suggestions.  Use the MS drivers, get BSOD on resume.  Perform another clean install with the latest Intel RST drivers off an F6 disk, get BSOD on resume.  Perform another clean install with an older version of the Intel RSD drivers off an F6 disk, get BSOD on resume.  Update the chipset drivers, get BSOD on resume.  Update the nVidia graphics driver, get BSOD on resume.  Run /fixmbr while booted from the rescue disk, get BSOD on resume.  Tediously fix all of the attributes under diskpart, get BSOD on resume.  Etc. etc. for hours.  No joy.

The question at this point was whether my laptop is simply too old to use with any SSD.  I decided to pull the 64 GB [competitor's non-Sandforce] SSD out of my desktop.  Performed the "clean" operation under Diskpart and plugged it into the Asus laptop.  For the umpteenth time, ran a clean install of Win7Pro 64 off the MS retail disk using all defaults.  Result: perfect performance right from the conclusion of the install.  Resume from sleep: perfect.  Resume from hibernation: perfect.  Turn off hibernation and then resume from sleep: perfect.  This is with only the drivers that were installed by default by the MS disk which I purchased as soon as Win7 released in October 2009.  I was unable to trigger any BSODs at all, whereas the Intel 330 had BSOD'd on each and every resume.

Therefore, my Asus x83-vb laptop isn't incompatible with SSDs in general.  There does appear to be some incompatibility issue with the Intel 330 but not with the competitor's non-Sandforce.

I have to say that Newegg came through with a little prodding.  The Intel 330 had been sold at a steep discount ($102 for the 180GB) with the limitation that it would only be exchanged for the same product.  Customer service refused a return at first.  I stressed that two Intel 330 SSDs had failed to work properly despite hours lost of my time, and that the competitor's non-Sandforce had worked immediately without any handholding.  The result is that I can send the Intel 330 back for store credit.

So, I think Starchild reached the right conclusion by giving up.  And my suggestion to any lurkers seeking prepurchase advice is to avoid the Intel 330.  In fact, avoid any and all Sandforce based SSDs or any "bargain" SSD from any company.  I've lost at least $600 worth of my time (if not double that), making the Intel 330 false economy. 

Message was edited by: David McCarry to remove the name of a competitor's SSD

• 9. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    mutex Community Member

I have read many accounts similar to yours and all I can say is you guys must sure love your sleep mode!

It reminds me of the old joke:  A man goes in to see a doctor and says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." and the doctor says "Then don't do that!".

• 10. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    parsec Community Member

Generalizations are dangerous things, particularly when the number of potential combinations of various hardware and software is huge, and one's experience is limited to a tiny fraction of the possibilities.

For example, I've used several Intel 520 SSDs, of various capacities, in three different PCs. All as OS drives, with the 520 used normally, or in pairs as a RAID 0 volume. I always use the Intel IRST drivers, in AHCI or RAID mode. All those PCs wake from Sleep consistently just fine. I have never had a BSOD while using the 520's under any circumstances.

I must say that all these PCs are desktop's, and custom builds from parts. Laptops are different from desktops in more ways than the obvious ones. Their level of flexibility is much less, including the ability to adjust them for various configurations. Laptops, netbooks, etc, are designed as one unit, and changing even one part of their basic hardware such as the disk drive, will be a hit or miss gamble.

I'm sorry you have problems with the 330 or 520, and glad your m4 works fine. My point is, to conclude that all 330's or 520's are basically defective due to your experience with it is not correct.

• 11. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    uce@b-compservices.com Community Member

Thinkpad X230 with Intel 520 180GB SSD Windows 7 x64 Pro.  I fixed the issue of BSOD after suspend by installing the most recent Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver for Windows 7.  The driver initially installed was the driver included on the Windows 7 installation DVD and not the most recent driver for the controller provided by Intel.   This post Blue Screens when resuming from Standby/Suspend and Hibernate power states - ThinkPad T520, T520i and W520 pointed me to this driver http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014898.  I did not have to modify the registry after installing the driver.  I hope this posting saves someone time as I spent 6 hours and 3 rebuilds finding the resolution of this issue. 

• 12. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    david_m Community Member

This is my last post on this forum, updating my entry at #8 in this thread.

I mentioned in #8 that a competitor's SSD that I temporarily pulled from my desktop worked perfectly in my Asus x83-vb laptop.  I've since purchased a 256 GB version of the same SSD for permanent use.  It, too, was flawless from the get-go.  So, two out of two 180 GB Intel 330 SSDs had persistent BSOD issues and two out of two competing non-Sandforce drives didn't.

uce@b-compservices, I tried at least three different SATA drivers before I gave up on the 330.  The first was the MS driver off of the Win7 Pro 64bit install disk, the second was the latest IRST driver, and the third was an older IRST driver.  Also, possibly a fourth driver if the sp1 update for Win7 includes an updated driver.  No joy on all of them.

parsec, my post does not conclude that all 330s are basically defective.  There are too many five star reviews on Newegg for that.  Basically, my conclusion is that the most precious commodity in any person's life is their time.  Gambling the loss of several hours in the hopes of saving a few dollars is unwise.  Most often, the bet will be won, but the risk is not worth the potential reward.  The competitor's SSD that worked for me is actually a bit slower than most, but it is very highly regarded for reliability.  That's what I thought the Intel brand stood for.

mutex, no component should throw BSOD errors during normal operation.  I think it's unwise to assume that the problem can be entirely avoided by self-limiting how the computer is used.  Every attempt at a clean install of Win7 on two out of two Intel 330 SSDs resulted in an error that I detailed in post # 2 of this thread:  http://communities.intel.com/message/177184#177184

That is a major screw-up, and one that I think would have caused many frustrations down the road.

• 13. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    mutex Community Member

I understand your frustration and if I went through everything you have I would of course feel the same.  I can't help but think that perhaps the problem here is one of incompatibility between some computers and sandforce controllers.  I remain truly curious though about whether these type problems can be avoided by simply turning sleep/hibernation off.  Given how fast computers should boot up with SSDs this doesn't strike me personally as that big a hardship.  Of course, if this is a workaround Intel and Sandforce should acknowledge it.  There is no excuse for these companies remaining so silent on these subjects.

• 14. Re: Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep
    Andy Community Member

I have a recently purchased Lenovo T430s ... latest BIOS and latest firmware on Intel 520 SSD.  I can consistently reproduce the BSOD  STOP 0xF4 crash by simply putting the laptop into sleep mode and then waking it up.  It will crash 100% of the time when waking from sleep.   Hibernate works perfectly, only sleep causes the error.  A replacement Intel 520 SSD gave the identical BSOD.

A replacement samsung 830 drive works perfectly without any problem waking from sleep.

BTW, I tested using a disk image from the Intel 520 and restored that image to the Samsung drive - so this was a true test of the identical Windows 7 64 bit installation with all the identical settings and drivers.  Consistently crashes when waking from sleep with Intel SSD -- and consistently wakes from sleep without any errors with the Samsung SSD.

NOTE: Since this is a Lenovo branded Intel 520, the firmware is from Lenovo's web page (LF1i) .... I have no way of knowing if Lenovo is supplying the same firmware that Intel is giving out as latest.  Whether I use the Lenovo firmware update or the one I downloaded from Intel, both tell me I am currently at the latest version.   I can only speak to the drive provided by Lenovo and the latest firmware provided by Lenovo

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points