3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2012 2:50 AM by Alexander

DH77DF firmware 0095 upgrade: POST fails with Memory Error

cjson

The following system was (mostly) stable for me during the last month and a half:

DH77DF mobo @ firmware 0069

i5 2405S

2 x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G

I decided to try the 0095 firmware to address some video stability issues under X11 on Linux (screen periodically went black, sometimes transiently, sometimes irrecoverably). But before applying 0095, the system had no boot problems whatsoever.

BIOS settings were mostly at defaults; I did not tweak clock/voltage settings at all.

The 0095 upgrade process (via F7 BIOS Flash) reported success and the system rebooted itself at completion. But then it failed POST with a Memory Error (3 beeps + silence) and no video signal.

Things I've tried that didn't help:

- Unplugged CMOS battery overnight

- Booted with only one DIMM (or only the other DIMM)

- Attempted Recovery BIOS Update back to 0069 (system never got beyond the POST beeps. This was with the BIOS recovery jumper removed.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: DH77DF firmware 0095 upgrade: POST fails with Memory Error
          Victor_Intel

Hello Jason,

I understand that after a BIOS update your motherboard will not go thru POST and you will get the memory error beep tone ( 3 beeps ).

In regards to your question, the problem that you are experiencing seems related to a compatibility with the motherboard/ processor and the RAM memory when using the BIOS version 0095.

I recommend you to test with a different RAM memory module that has a different model or brand to check if you can boot the system up, then you can roll back the BIOS or update it to a newer version.

Regards.

PV

• 2. Re: DH77DF firmware 0095 upgrade: POST fails with Memory Error
            cjson

Hi PV,

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that a BIOS recovery will work even without RAM on the motherboard. I tried that, but once again the POST failure happened before the recovery started.

Do you know whether RAM-less BIOS recovery is a real feature of the firmware? I'm trying to verify that the RAM itself caused my POST failure and isn't just a red herring.

Thanks,

Jason

• 3. Re: DH77DF firmware 0095 upgrade: POST fails with Memory Error
              Alexander

Hi, cjson!

I've got exactly the same sitution with DQ77KB motherboard (0040 bios) with i7-3770t and two KVR1333D3S9/8G modules.

After interrupted bios update, the system hangs in POST with memory error (3 beeps and pause). No attempt to recover bios from usb-stick.

I'am going to try some other memory modules or change motherboard.

Apparently, the bios update procedure in Intel needs to be changed to be more reliable.

Wish you luck!

Alexander