Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Bad CPU ?

idata
Employee

Hello,

I was hoping to get somebodys better opinion of experience than my own. I have this Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU being used with an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard. My motherboard will not stay powered on upon pressing the switch on either using the case switch or the switch that is designed on the actual motherboard. I have broken the system entirely down using 1 memory module, power supply and CPU connected to the motherboard.

The motherboard will power on and stay on without the CPU in the socket 'weird', but If I install the CPU back in the socket the motherboard no longer stays powered on. The mother board instead powers on/off within a second or 2 and continues to remain powered off as long the CPU is installed in the socket. That leads me to really believe the power supply is not the real issue and CPU more the actual problem. The CPU was manufactured 2006 and I purchased it new October of 2009. Any professional opinions appreciated. Thank You.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Since your system does not boot up with the processor installed, it seems to be a defective processor, in order to confirm this theory, I would suggest testing this processor on another known working and compatible motherboard to see if it causes the same behavior.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Adolfo_Intel....

Yes I since have tested the CPU with entirely another motherboard, memory and power supply etc.. and the exact same behavior power issue occurs which I already explained. I contacted Intel warranty department and they have set up an RMA so I can return the defective CPU and they are to ship me another = equivalent same working CPU..

Also I would mention I previously had RMA my motherboard back to ASUS twice when I believed it was my motherboard failing before I considered my CPU was actually the real problem. ASUS tested my motherboard and returned it to me of course said it worked fine and they were actually right. I was stubborn and thought they actually never fixed my motherboard..Just letting ya all know CPUs can go bad and make you think it is your motherboard gone bad... What a learning experience this was for me.

This case has now been resolved and hope this experience may help another..

0 Kudos