12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 9:04 AM by Johannes

Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux

Tolga

Hi!

In the past, I've tried several times to boot linux in UEFI mode. I have tried Ubuntu x64 (both, official release 12.04 and latest nightly build), Arch Linux x64 (latest unofficial 2012.06 Archboot ISO R3) and Fedora 17 x64. I'm using an Intenso USB Stick as the installation media. In legacy boot mode (untick "UEFI boot" or simply choose the device without "UEFI" prefix in F10 boot menu), it runs absolutely smoothly and without any problems. If I boot it up in UEFI mode, I get the GRUB2 boot menu with all the correct entries. When I choose one and try to boot it, I get a black screen (it freezes; no further boot). I'm also able to boot UEFI Shell from that GRUB2 menu (which is working perfectly!). Did someone else had any success? (My hardware specs are in my profile).

Greetings,

Tolga

• 1. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
          Dan_Intel

Hello,

Based on the fact that Linux* is not a supported Operating System for this motherboard, our recommendation is forwarding your inquiry to your Linux* distribution support group for further assistance on your original inquiry:

Desktop Boards — Supported operating systems

• 2. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
            Martin S.

Hi, I have the same problem at DZ77RE-75K. UEFI booting is badly broken at Intel Series 7 motherboards. Even boot of the RHEL fails. There is some Linux kernel patch which should provide workaround for certain boards, but it didn't help me. I'm able to boot Linux properly on Asus or Dell systems from the same SSD, where Intel board fails.

• 3. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
              Tolga

Thank you Dan for your response!

Intel has been one of the main Linux supporters - they provide the best graphics drivers (xf86-video-intel), which are Open Source and very actively supported and developed (by Intel employees). Eventhough the DZ77GA-70k may not officially support Linux, it supports UEFI. And if UEFI would be implemented correctly without any faults, there wouldn't be any problems to boot Linux - every other Intel 7 Series Mainboards from other manufacturers are working very well - they don't provide support for Linux aswell. So, I don't expect Linux support directly, but I except a flawless UEFI (which should give us Linux-support in turn). UEFI is an advertised feature.

According to "Johannes" in "DH77DF adon PCIe TV cards", Linux booted up in UEFI mode in an earlier BIOS version on the DH77DF:

I also tried to upgrade to latest bios, but this has the bad effect that linux isn't booting anymore, at least in UEFI mode (which was no problem with the original first bios version).

Something broke it in later BIOS updates. So, the problem might be very easy to identify, when you just compare the two BIOS versions.

Also, the problem is not distribution-specific, but it's Linux-wide. So, the best place to ask would be bugzilla.kernel.org. However, it is very hard and time-consuming to track down BIOS-specific errors and they probably can't (remotely) help me without having the hardware.

Is there any hope for us, when Intel C216 chipset based Intel server boards hit the market? Those boards will provide Linux support and they aren't much different from our Desktop motherboards in architechture (besides additional ECC support and support for Intel AMT). Any chance, that Linux-specific UEFI fixes would find their way to the consumer boards?

Thank you for your time,

Tolga

• 4. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                Royce Remer

I can confirm that the improved UEFI support in Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 3 allows booting without legacy BIOS:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.10/alpha-3/

This would appear to be due to 12.10's default usage of efilinux, which you could backport into an older kernel from here if you so choose:

Index of /pub/linux/utils/boot/efilinux

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                  Tolga

Are you sure, that you booted in UEFI mode? Did you use an optical drive (DVD) or a USB media? I wasn't able to boot from a USB media, which was created with the Live USB Creator and booted in UEFI mode (via F10 menu -> choosing the 'UEFI' prefix). I was also using the latest Quantal Alpha 3. I will try it asap, gonna report in 10 minutes.

• 6. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                    Tolga

Well, I have just tried it again: it doesn't work for me with the USB Live media. However, GRUB2 was showing up - maybe something's wrong there? How did you create the Live media?

• 7. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                      Royce Remer

You may have a different issue then. If you can't get an alternate TTY during boot to get some more info, then you'll need to tweak your kernel boot options. A quick-and-dirty alternative is to unplug peripherals (PCI cards, SATA drives, etc.) and try again. I created the Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 3 bootable USB stick with usb-creator-gtk, and confirmed again that I booted with the UEFI target from the boot menu (and not the first legacy-boot USB option). Here's the output of dmidecode from the the live target booted in this mode:

dmidecode.txt - Google Docs

Hope this helps you out, and good luck!

------------unrelated tidbit-------------

"Reply to original post" works in Chromium 20.0.1132.47 Ubuntu 12.10, but just "Reply" does not. It does, however, work in Mozilla Firefox 15.0

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                        playst

I had highlighted to my idiotic Intel tech support Lyn (I think she only know how to push problem away and read off word for word info on the Intel website) about the serious UEFI and PCIe issue on their 7 series mother wayback in June and she said I am the only person with such problem. How nice.

• 9. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                          Tolga

Thank You! I've looked into your dmi textfile and found out, that you're still using the release BIOS 0021. UEFI boot to Linux got broken after that afaik. I will still try to boot my PC without any peripherals, but I don't expect it to boot. I'm currently running the latest BIOS 0049.

• 10. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                            Royce Remer

Aha, good find - I didn't consider that there could have been a regression in UEFI support. Looking through the release notes, it seems likely that BIOS revision 0045 is the likely culprit. If I weren't happy with the way things were working now, I'd upgrade to 0039, then 0045 and confirm for you. Alas, I don't have much faith in the flashing utility to *downgrade* BIOS once it had been upgraded. The specific lines from the release notes I noticed:

• Fixed issue where operating system installation fails with UEFI.
                            • Fixed issue with UEFI OS boot option under RAID mode with no input device connected.

This is all from here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21571/eng/GA_0049_ReleaseNotes.pdf

• 11. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                              Tolga

Well, I had other problems with earlier BIOS versions - BIOS versions prior to 0045 don't let you boot Windows 7 x64 in UEFI mode; there also problems with fan speed control. I had tried booting Ubuntu 12.04 (not 12.10 Alpha 3) with BIOS version 0035 - it did not work back then. I'm not going to downgrade, because this will bring back older problems and may brick the BIOS (I don't know for sure).

Messing around and waiting for about two-and-a-half months, I'm gonna RMA this board and ask my dealer to exchange it with an ASUS P8C WS (2 x Intel NIC) or Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H (1 x Intel NIC, 1 x Atheros). There are way too many problems with this board - whether it may be the BIOS or the hardware.

• 12. Re: Latest BIOS 0049 for DZ77GA-70k - still can't boot Linux
                                Johannes

After more testing with the DH77DF i can definitly say that EFI booting from USB stick with the lastest Firmware 0095 is broken. Firmware 0095 only boots in legacy Bios mode from USB stick.

EFI booting from USB stick was 100% working in firmware 0069 for the DH77DF!!