13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 8:46 AM by Shaun

DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?

phil_l

Hi

It seems the DZ77BH-55K isn't getting updated like other motherboards.  There is an issue (I'm sure there are others) where the BIOS doesn't allow setting a hard drive password.  Over a month ago now the DZ77GA-70K received a BIOS update with the release notes saying fixes added for hard-drive passwords, this board has received another BIOS update today for other issues, so why isn't the DZ77BH-55K receiving timely updates?

Currently I've bought an Intel motherboard to use with an Intel 520 SSD in order to take advantage of securing my data, not only has the Intel 520 been mis-sold as having 256bit encryption, but only 128Bit encryption, I can't take advantage of any encryption as the Intel motherboard I have doesn't allow setting a hard-drive password.  It is around 2 months now I've been waiting for Intel to sort this BIOS out.

Please can someone from Intel flag this up and find out why the DZ77BH-55K isn't being updated with BIOS fixes.

Regards

Phil

• 1. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
          Victor_Intel

Hello Phil,

I understand that you are inquiring about a newer BIOS release.

I can confirm that Intel(R) is releasing newer updates a soon as fixes are found and the testing process is over.

Regards.

PV

• 2. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
            phil_l

Hi

Can you confirm an update is being worked on now?

There are issues with the current BIOS that need addressing, the Extreme version of this board has had 2 BIOS updates since the DZ77BH had it's last update.  Just seems odd given the boards similarities and sharing similar problems that the media series board has been left languishing.

Regards

Phil

• 3. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
              Zebiggie

It's about time they brought out a new BIOS; the 0070 did not sit well on my board and I had to reflush to the old 0057.

• 4. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                Dogwood

Yes, 0070 had a serious problem on my board also. This was discussed in this thread:

http://communities.intel.com/message/156414

So I had to revert using the jumper; a messy process that always scares me. Yes, a new BIOS would be welcome.

HOWEVER....I'd rather wait longer and get a BIOS that actually fixes these problems, rather than get another buggy BIOS sooner. What I'd like from Intel -- and by the way, what I haven't gotten -- is some indication that they know about problems like the one in that thread I linked, so we've got some hope they're getting fixed.

General comment: I've been entirely happy with Intel hardware, but their software support has been less than robust.

• 5. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                  phil_l

Hi

A new BIOS, version 83 has been posted now for this board, unfortunately the release notes don't seem to show much has been done:

• Modified processor family setup item.
                  • Changed “UEFI Boot” BIOS option default to disable.
                  • Added High Precision Event Timers BIOS option.
                  • Changed USB wakeup option from S4 to S3.

Intel, where is the ATA password security fix so we can secure our Intel SSDs?????????

I've not tried this BIOS yet so perhaps more fixes than made the release notes have been included.

BIOS is here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3441&DwnldID=21636&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

Regards

Phil

• 6. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                    Dogwood

If anyone installs this, please post results! Thanks!

• 7. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                      Zebiggie

I installed it; didn't work. F2 is not working!

• 8. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                        robertjal

I tried it, it did not fix my most pressing issues. I'll test the IGP issues later but xmp1600 still does not work. I still cannot run my ram at 1600MHz.

• 9. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                          phil_l

Hi

How are you changing the RAM speed?  Are you selecting the XMP profile from the drop down list?  What I would try is resetting the BIOS to defaults (because it is buggy you have to do this), then reboot back into the BIOS, rather than select the XMP profile, use the Overclocking slider and move that to 1600, this was the only thing that worked for me.

Regards

Phil

• 10. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                            phil_l

Hi

Okay, I've put the new BIOS on, it is still a bit buggy.

The good: Despite no mention in the release notes we do now have the options for setting a Hard drive password, thank you Intel, about time

The bad: I almost had a heart attack as on setting a master and user hard-drive password, on rebooting I had a blank monitor, with just a tiny oblong of pixels in the top left hand side.  I assumed what I was seeing was graphics corruption and it was actually a prompt for me to enter the password, so I entered the hard-drive password blind and it booted into windows, thank goodness.  On further investigation, it appears that when boot graphics optimisation is enabled, the hard-drive prompt is corrupted into a tiny block of pixels at the top left edge.

The fans!!  Again we have fans running full speed all the time on this BIOS, the only way I can get them running normally is to use the Classic BIOS and do a reset BIOS defaults there in the classic menu.  If I try and adjust the fans in the Visual BIOS I just end up with them running full speed again.

Other than that so far so good.

Regards

Phil

• 11. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                              robertjal

Hi Phil,

thanks for the tip. I tried that but no luck. In the classic bios i found an overclock option, not sure if that was there before. I also tried using that but the timing and voltages it sets are weird, 1.65v and cas etc of 8. My ram is 1.5v 10 etc. I don't know where it's getting it's data from but obviously not the xmp profile.

I have not tried the igp yet, given that this bios has no improvements over the old one I will not waste time on that. I have a dedicated gpu which works without issues.

Robert.

• 12. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                                phil_l

Hi

Another annoying bug with the new BIOS (83) is that the power light is flashing when the computer is on, a bug I've seen mentioned with other BIOS's, now introduced to this one.

Regards

Phil

• 13. Re: DZ77BH-55K Why no BIOS updates?
                                  Shaun
                                  1 of 1 people found this helpful