4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2012 8:57 AM by dan-nyc

Confusion of PCI version mentioned in "Technical product specification" error in manuals?

dan-nyc

the following are mentions of PCI versions in motherboard manuals for specific motherboards. the manuals initially say that the following motherboards support PCI 2.2 but then go on to say they support PCI 2.3!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEDIA SERIES:

model#           page / version   page / version

DZ77BH-55K    p12 / v2.2*      p54 / v2.3**

DZ68DB          p12 / v2.2*      p47 / v2.3**

DP67BA         p12 / v2.2*      p45 / v2.3**

DH67CL         p12 / v2.2*      p47 / v2.3**

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTREME SERIES:

model#             page / version     page / version

DZ77RE-75K      p12 /v2.2*         p56 /v2.3**

DZ77GA-70K      p14 /v2.2*         p58 /v2.3**

DX79SI              p12 /v2.2*         p53 /v2.3**

DX79TO             p12 /v2.2*         p50 /v2.3**

DZ68ZV             p12 /v2.2*         p51 /v2.3**

DZ68BC            p12 /v2.2*         p56 /v2.3**

DP67BG           p10 /v2.2*         p47 /v2.3**

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p = page number in "Technical product specification" followed by PCI version mentioned.

* Support for PCI Local Bus Specification Revision 2.2

** Conventional PCI (rev 2.3 compliant) bus: three Conventional PCI bus add-in card connectors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the manuals seem rather ambiguous. i need to be certain that the boards actually support a PCI 2.2 (5-volt) card.  PCI 2.2 supports 5 volt signalling, PCI 2.3 doesn't.  

can somebody clear up the confusion in the manuals? either the board is PCI 2.2 or PCI 2.3 . it can't be both.

• 1. Re: Confusion of PCI version mentioned in "Technical product specification" error in manuals?
          nails

You wrote, "PCI 2.2 supports 5 volt signalling, PCI 2.3 doesn't".

Actually, PCI 2.3 does. It deleted the +5v ONLY keyed add-in cards. This was a year 2002 specification change. After that change, the move was towards lower voltage and dual 3.3V/5V operation.  

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Confusion of PCI version mentioned in "Technical product specification" error in manuals?
            dan-nyc

"Revision 2.3 makes a significant step in migrating the PCI bus from the original 5.0 volt signaling to a 3.3 volt signaling bus."

source:

PCI-SIG - Conventional PCI 2.3

so it's not both. the actual motherboard connector does support 3.3 & 5 volt card keys (the physical connection) but it is electrically incompatible with 5 volt only cards. if the card is a universal card that supports both 5 and 3.3 volt signalling, a PCI 2.3 bus is compatible but if the card is 5 volt signalling only, it needs a PCI 2.2 bus or else it won't work at all.

here's a sound on sound article talking about how the issue effects people like me that use PCI 2.2 sound cards to make music. my sw1000xg is not something i can go without:

PCI Soundcard Compatibility Issues

it would do alot of help to many people in my situation if motherboard manufacturers would make it clear what type of PCI bus a motherboard has. put the info right on the overview page. for example: "Two PCI 2.2 Conventional bus connectors" instead of "Two PCI Conventional bus connectors". i've been doing hours of research on current intel boards and the manuals don't even make clear what PCI bus version a motherboard has because on one page it may say 2.2 and on another it says 2.3. there's no clarity and it's frustrating. this is an important specification.

• 3. Re: Confusion of PCI version mentioned in "Technical product specification" error in manuals?
              potsdam

Looking over this PCI-SIG press release, it states that the version 2.3 PCI specification still supports 5 volt signaling:

Support for 5 volt signaling is retained in PCI v2.3 for backward compatibility with 5 volt-keyed add-in cards, but it is expected to be eliminated in future versions of this specification, making PCI v2.3 the last PCI specification with support for 5 volt signaling.

PCI-SIG was trying to curb manufacturers from making new 5 volt add in cards in preparation for the 3.3 volt PCI slot variants down the line. Hence the language about 5 volt cards being non-compliant. However when PCI Express proved to be a much better solution, the transition to PCI-X and the need for the lower power 3.3 volt PCI slots never really materialized in the consumer sector. Aside from some older Macintoshes, I haven't seen anything but the 5 volt keyed PCI slot used in desktop boards.

• 4. Re: Confusion of PCI version mentioned in "Technical product specification" error in manuals?
                dan-nyc

nails & potsdam, thank you both. you have enlightened me.  i wasn't really paying close attention to the language.

" 2.3 No Longer Supports 5 Volt only Keyed Add-in Cards"  doesn't mean 5 volt cards won't work in a PCI 2.3 motherboard connector, it just means that if a manufacturer wants to produce a pci 2.3 compliant card, it has to have the 3.3 volt key to be in spec. so it has to do with the card, not the actual motherboard connector and motherboard PCI signalling. for some reason, it sounded to me like the slot didn't support the 2.2 cards.

now pertaining the the motherboard slot /connector where the card plugs into:

"Support for 5 volt signaling is retained in PCI v2.3 for backward compatibility with 5 volt-keyed add-in cards, but it is expected to be eliminated in future versions of this specification, making PCI v2.3 the last PCI specification with support for 5 volt signaling."

which means, if my PCI 2.1 or 2.2 card fits in a PCI motherboard connector, it has to work. my 5 volt only signalling card won't even physically fit into a slot that is only 3.3 volt signalling. "PCI 3.0 Removed support for the 5.0 volt keyed system board connector". PCI 3.0 slot is incompatible because 5 volt only keyed/signaled card can't/wont fit.

so according to this knowledge,  all the new MOBO models i specified in my original post do support cards that are 5 volt keyed only and 5 volt signalling only. a PCI 2.1 or 2.2 card will function properly in a PCI 2.3 motherboard slot.

for those on the net pulling their hair out, the SW1000XG PCI 2.1 card will work in a PCI 2.3 motherboard connector slot for the reasons mentioned above. if the SW1000XG fits into a PCI slot, it is both physically (the key) and electrically (signalling) compatible.

P.S, the only question left is why those intel manuals initially say those motherboards i mentioned are PCI 2.2 on one page and then PCI 2.3 on another?