13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2012 11:13 PM by panamavibes RSS

Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

panamavibes Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

xI have the following configuration since Dec. 2009:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO with  BIOS SOX5810J.86A.4196.2009.0715.*

CPU: Intel i7-920 (2.67GHz) no overclocking

RAM: 3x OCZ3P1333LV2G DDR3 1333  (total 6GB)

Video: nVidia GeForce GTX285 (1GB memory) on PCIe x16 slot

Hard Disks: 2x Western Digital 1TB each (internal) + 1x 750 GB Hitachy (eSATA)

Optical Drives: 2x ATAPI DVD Rewritters

Fans: CPU + Video card fan + Case fans (aux, rear, side, bottom)

PSU: Cooler Master 620W

Every now and then It gave me a BIOS boot warning indicating it failed to boot but not often. After 1+ year of operations (originally had Vista Home Premium x64 upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium x64) it started giving sudden BSODs. After a few months with the problem I decided it was time for a fresh start so I reformatted my drives and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits plus all its updates.

Within a week of the fresh install (I am still migrating data) it started shutting down every now and then, a few times BSODs but other times simply a black screen followed by an auto-reboot. This got very annoying and I have been trying to solve the issue without much success.

I ran the MemTest86 (Linux version, tests all 6GB) several times and gave no errors. Once it gave errors all over the place but I believe that was some sort of glitch because I simply reset the test right away and let it run for hours without errors being reported.

Almost always during POST I see it shows the Marvell BIOS message "Adapter 1 Port 2" followed by the BA 94 BA POST code and then it goes black and then again the same procedure. In other words always does it twice.

Now that it is giving more problems I noticed that:

• Sometimes when I turn it on in the morning (first boot of the day) it keeps on cycling through the boot sequence without ever booting into Linux or Windows.
  • A few times it got as far as loading Windows and then rebooting. Apparently if I leave it turned off but connected to mains for some 15 minutes or more without starting it, then it boots the system without problems and then works for hours (as many as 10) without issues.
  • Sometimes it goes through the POST and at the end rather than booting Windows it stays brain dead with fans running at full speed. No video or hard disk activity.

I have been tempted to upgrade the BIOS from 4196 (2009) to 5599 (2012) but I don't see anything in the release notes that points specifically to a problem I have. Some resemble but are not quite the same.

I ran various utilities and here are their reports:

************** CPU-Z Suite (Latest) **************

Memory:

• A triple memory channel where all 3 memory DIMMs are the same part number: OCZ3P1333LV2G
  • All 3 DIMMs have exactly the same voltage: 1.350V  (<-- Specs say 1.65V and MOBO BIOS set for 1.66V memory voltage)
  • All 3 DIMMs have exactly the same operational settings
  • tCL: 7  tRCD: 7  tRP: 7   tRAS 20  tRFC: 59 CR: 2T (<-- as suggested by manufacturer 7-7-7-20 @ 2T)

Mainboard:

• Intel DX58SO  chipset X58 rev 13
  • Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev 00
  • LPCIO: NS  PC8374L
  • BIOS SOX5810J.86A.4196.2009.0715.1958  (15 July 2009)
  • Graphics I/F  PCI-Express x16

CPU:

• CPU  i7-920 Max TDP: 130W (is this the power consumption?)
  • Core voltage: 0.879V
  • Multiplier x12

***************** Open Hardware Monitor *************************

Bus speed: 133 MHz

CPU Cores 1600MHz

CPU Core Temperatures 1..4: ranging from 68 to 94 Celsius but on average 73 Celsius

Hard Disk temperatures (1TB each): 52 Celsius

eSATA Hard Disk temperature (750GB): 54 Celsius

******************** Motherboard BIOS Voltage Readings *******************

V12.0     12.000 V

V5.0         4.869 V

V3.3         3.17 V

V1.1         1.054 V

Vrcp         1.078 V

Voltage Regulator temp: 61 C

Memory Voltage:  1.350 V

Motherboard ambient temperature: 59 C

Aux Fan Speed: 0900

Front Fan Speed: 0960

Rear Fan Speed: 0960

CPU Fan Speed: 3120

I checked all over the BIOS settings and don't see any place where I can change the fan speed settings. Do note that the temperature on my room is usually 31 Celsius (I live in the tropics) even with a ceiling fan.

I would also like to know what is the wattage (power consumption) I can expect for this motherboard without CPU (CPU is about 130W) with those drives connected. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong with this? Having had many PCs over the years this is my first Intel motherboard and the only one that ever gave me problems. I am going desperate with this instability.

• 1. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems
    Yanos Community Member

Well I dont know what help I might be but I did have a few questions that might help for diagnosis:

For your two Western Digital Drives:  What kind are they?  are they the Caviar Blue or Green or Black?  and are these the Boot drives?

For the drive that is an E-Sata, is this drive in an external enclosure?  and what is the major function of this drive?

You said something about booting to Windows or Linux.  Does this mean you are on a dual-boot system?  and if so, which drives host the windows file system and linux file system?

Some observations:  While you may notice there is a Bios update, also notice that there are a total of 13 updates beyond the bios version you have.  I dont know if you have gone through all the release notes of these 13 Bios updates but when there are that many updates I would just update the Bios to the latest version anyway, and since you have no overclocking profile there really is not much stopping you from trying it.

You can have some control over the fans in the Bios version you have,  It has moved in newer versions of the bios, but in your version it is here:  Advanced>Fan Control Configuration Menu.  But I dont know how this will help your current problem as I dont think heat is the problem here.  I will admit your temps seem a bit high but are still within spec.

The problem you are describing tells me one of 4 possibilities - either one or more of your hardrives are dieing, bad boot sector on the motherboard, miscelaneous issues with the bios, or your memory not getting enough voltage.  Another note about your memory:  Your processor is set to use a max. memory frequency of 1067, so since you're not overclocking, chances are that is what your memory frequency is at.  In my experience, Memory should be getting 1.5v.  If it is getting more, see if you can dail it down, because memory at 1067 mHz does not need 1.66V.

I would try these steps:  1- update your bios.  With that many updates past your current version, that just might fix your problem.  If nothing else, it will give your bios a much more user friendly look, as the current Bios from intel is a lot better & more understandable than the one I see from the Bios Glossary listed for this board from your 2009 version.  2- set the memory voltage to 1.5 manually in the Bios and see if this helps, one reason for 'random' BSOD's can very well be that the voltage for a specific piece of hardware goes below a usable value and craps out, sending the rest of the system in a panic and *crash*.  3- If issues are still showing up, try pulling off that Hitachi that is in the e-sata port.  This step is very contingent to your answer to my previous questions though, so dont count this one yet untill you tell me what kind of drives your WD's are. 4- unplug your computer from the wall and then pop out that coin-cell battery & count to 60, then put it back in & boot up. sometimes a CMOS reset helps.  5- more drastically & dont do this untill you've tried 1 thru 4, get a few sticks of memory that are 'within specs' of the processor (search compatable memory on the intel site) and throw those in place of your current OCZ memory & see if this garners any difference in your daily use.

If all of these steps still do not give you results, it might be time for an RMA of your motherboard.  I believe it is still within the timeframe but I cannot be sure.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

@Yanos:

The two Western Digital internal drives (1TB each) are of the black kind. The 1st is the boot drive with Windows and applications and user data. The 2nd is purely for periodical backup (Windows Backup tool) don't know if the Acronis 11 that came with the MOBO CD was trial or full OEM.

I run mainly Windows. I had installed Linux in 2009 on this machine but never got it to boot without compromising my MBR (once it screwed my whole system so I am very reluctant to install GRUB). I have no floppy and haven't been able to make it boot from USB so it is there but mainly with old user data from my Linux hardcore days...

The external eSATA Hitachi disk currently contains backup data for migration/travel purposes and to have just in case the computer gets stolen. It also contains the Linux partitions I haven't managed to get booting. Originally this disk was on 95% of the time but since I reformatted my system the idea is that the eSATA disk will no longer be needed full time, just when I need to backup.  BTW this eSATA disk is in an external enclosure (La Cie).

You are the 2nd to indicate the voltage on the memory seems a bit on the low side. Will try that on the BIOS.

Will most likely do the BIOS update. I did look at all the update history between July 2009 and the latest version, just didn't see anything that identified my problem. But for the sake of having the latest (hopefully without frying my mobo) I will most likely update this week.

Originally when I contacted Intel last week, the service rep told me that my power supply (620W) was way too little. The original PC manufacturer tells me 620W is okay and 700+ would be an overkill. I used the power calculator at www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and it came to about 650W so I don't know who to believe in that area.

• 3. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

Well bad news...spent almost 3 hours struggling to boot the darn PC so i took these actions...

Following the advises I raised the memory voltage to 1.74 on the motherboard settings in hopes that it would raise it from the 1.5 reported up to 1.65V (spec). The system simply felt more unstable,mix it with several windows updates that didnt go well. Running Open Hardware Monitor simply resulted in an immediate BSOD with either SERVICE REQUEST or IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

I reverted back to the 1.66V memory setting that reported 1.5V actual voltage and attempted to revert to a previous restore point but all i got was more BSODs.

Tried to boot into Ubuntu linux 12.04 and no luck either, it would give me kernel errors during boot and would then crap out, so no LInux either something that wasn{t a problem before.

Tired of all this intel hell I decided to follow the advise of updating the >BIOS to the 5299 BIOS version that is the latest for this motherboard. I used the F7 boot key to let the BIOS to do the flash update rather than taking chances on an unstable Windows flashing.

I selected the BIOS image from my USB stick and it told me I was going to upgrade from my 2009 version 4xxx to the latest 5x99. I chose yes. I got several messages about "preparing image for xxxx"  and all reported [done] as status. Then it went on to flashing several sections and all reported [done].

After that it ended with a message indicating that the BIOS flash update was successful and that I needed to reboot. I checked several times to see that there were only good messages. I rebooted the system and now all I get is a motherboard that gives three (3) long beeps. No screen activity, NOTHING.

The motherboard of my $2400 system is gone. I don´t think i will ever buy an Intel motherboard again. My Mobo is lost and I suppose there is no way to flash it again given that it only beeps.

• 4. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems
    Yanos Community Member

I had a similar problem like this once.  The remedy was to turn the powersupply off and completely disconnect the computer from the power cord & wait for the 'stand-by' LED on the board to go dark, then after plugging it back in & trying to reboot it came up without issue.

The 3 beeps you are getting indicate that the board either has no memory or there is a problem with the installed memory.  Which I guess is still a possible issue given you've been getting so many BSOD's.  Again i must mention that the reason anyone would get BSOD's is because of a hardware issue or a problem with drivers relating to hardware.

Dont count your motherboard as toast untill you are sure it isn't the memory.  You can also try pulling the memory out completely and just re-seating it into the slots.  Sometimes this helps too.

• 5. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

I had already tried the total disconnection from mains but the problem persisted. So I decided to heed to the 3 beeps as a memory issue. My system has 3 identical OCZ Platinum 2GB sticks as I noted.

I found out I could put the system in single channel mode by leaving only ONE DIMM in channel C. The first one I tried was the one that was there originally, same 3 beep death... the 2nd one booted the system so I assume my 1st DIMM is dead. At least with this boot I was able to check the BIOS settings and confirm that my motherboard BIOS firmware has indeed been upgraded to the latest version. So, one problem less. I currently have it running Win 7 Ultimate with just 2G for a while to see if something happens.

I have to check my 3rd DIMM and I hope it is not damaged. I just don´t know if I can buy a single DIMM to match these two that I bought in a triple channel pack.

• 6. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

OK so one of my PC3-10666 modules is kaputt. Unfortunately in the local market I can only find PC3-10600 memory and not even at CAS 7ms but 9ms

Apparently to match them without sacrificing performance I will have to order them abroad not happy about that. I think I will start looking for a comparable fast memory (7-7-7) but with lower (1.5V) voltage. For now I will try to run my system on 4GB, I just hope that these two good modules can still work together.

• 7. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems
    Boyet Community Member

Looking at the settings of your memory modules it seems that the timing is not as specified by OCZ. Here's the spec. So instead of 7-7-7-20 you should have a setting of 9-9-9-20. The voltage as suggested in the manufacturer's forum will range from 1.6 to 1.65V. You should make the adjustment manually.

• 8. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

@Boyet, wow I hadn't noticed that myself! these were configured as 7-7-7-20 since 2009 when I bought my system, never gave me a problem until this past 9 months ending up in one of them going belly up. These are 1333MHz but the Intel rep. tells me that while the MOBO supports even 1600MHz, the i7-920 processor only supports the DDR3 800 & 1066 memories. So I wonder if my 1333 MHz memories were an overkill by the company that sold me the system.

Now as for OCZ, I noticed earlier today that these memories have "Lifetime Warranty" although they are now an End of Life Product, I wrote to them to see if that "Lifetime Warranty" is just a marketing lie or if they are really going to live up to that.

• 9. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems
    Boyet Community Member

Panama Vibes wrote:

@Boyet, wow I hadn't noticed that myself! these were configured as 7-7-7-20 since 2009 when I bought my system, never gave me a problem until this past 9 months ending up in one of them going belly up. These are 1333MHz but the Intel rep. tells me that while the MOBO supports even 1600MHz, the i7-920 processor only supports the DDR3 800 & 1066 memories. So I wonder if my 1333 MHz memories were an overkill by the company that sold me the system.

Now as for OCZ, I noticed earlier today that these memories have "Lifetime Warranty" although they are now an End of Life Product, I wrote to them to see if that "Lifetime Warranty" is just a marketing lie or if they are really going to live up to that.

You're right. There is a mismatch between your processor and your memory modules. Anyway, if you can have the replacement from OCZ perhaps you can apply the specified timing to test if it produces a stable operation of your system. Or you can test now with the other two remaining modules installed.

• 10. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

At this very moment I am running the system with the two good modules, i.e. 4GB memory and it seems quite stable, it boots fast rather than several boot repetitions and no BSODs, all of this with 7-7-7-20.

I already contacted OCZ and they approved the RMA so I am awaiting instructions as to whether I should return just the damaged one or all three given that those memories are already End Of Life. In any case thumbs up for them!

When my system had 6GB I was getting a Windows 5.9 index dictated by the hard disks as all other scores (including memory) ranged from 7.4 to 7.8 or so.  With 2GB the index dropped to 5.5 (below the hard disk bottleneck) and with 4GB it went up to its former self: 5.9.

Anyway the 6GB should come in handy as I often have about 30 tabs open in the browser, have 1-3 open Visual Studio 2010, Outlook and if not Flight Simulator X.

• 11. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems
    Boyet Community Member

Panama Vibes wrote:

At this very moment I am running the system with the two good modules, i.e. 4GB memory and it seems quite stable, it boots fast rather than several boot repetitions and no BSODs, all of this with 7-7-7-20.

I already contacted OCZ and they approved the RMA so I am awaiting instructions as to whether I should return just the damaged one or all three given that those memories are already End Of Life. In any case thumbs up for them!

When my system had 6GB I was getting a Windows 5.9 index dictated by the hard disks as all other scores (including memory) ranged from 7.4 to 7.8 or so.  With 2GB the index dropped to 5.5 (below the hard disk bottleneck) and with 4GB it went up to its former self: 5.9.

Anyway the 6GB should come in handy as I often have about 30 tabs open in the browser, have 1-3 open Visual Studio 2010, Outlook and if not Flight Simulator X.

Well your system is now back to normal. Re: Windows 5.9 index you can improve this by using ssd.

• 12. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

So far so good! as it turns out these OCZ memories are no longer produced, in fact OCZ no longer produces memory modules. Their RMA department is proposing giving me a refund by check but the problem is I bought a system as a whole and the price of the memories was not detailed in the bill. So maybe I don't get anything at all and will have to buy another triplet. Had I known I was going to end up with 4GB and I would have gone for the less problematic 32-bit version of the OS.

• 13. Re: Intel DX58SO boot and sudden death problems

System turned unstable again, even worse rather than blue screens of death (signalling memory issues) the screen was suddently turning BLACK but the fans remained on, motherboard lights on and HDD lights flashing for a while even when I had run the system from a LIVE CD (Linux) and both HDD disconnected.

I replaced the two remaining OCZ 2GB modules for a SINGLE Kingston 4GB module which worked fine for a a week or so prior to giving the black screens.

I changed the video card for a much economic GT210 (30W) but the problem persists... reapplied the thermoconducting gel on the CPU HSF but same problem... On a few lucky instances I have managed to run for 3+ hours but that is VERY RARE. This happens regardless of whether I run the system at room temperature (28-31 Celsius) or an airconditioned room at 24-25 Celsius with open case and an extra human-tailored fan on blowing extra air at the CPU.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points