1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 7:34 PM by Hongdi RSS

m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

need_help Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello!

I'm experiencing problems with BIOS upgrade in Windows on two different DZ68DB-based desktops.

PC config 1:

M/b rev: 103

CPU i5-2500K

DIMM1, DIMM2 with 1600 MHz, 4096 MB in each

one SATA HDD, DVD-RW, USB card reader (front panel)

Win 7 SP1

PC config 2:

M/b rev: 104

CPU i5-3570K

DIMM1, DIMM2 with 1600 MHz, 4096 MB in each

two SATA HDDs, DVD-RW, USB card reader (front panel)

Win XP SP3

no antivirus software (of any kind)

Current BIOS version on the both m/b is 0042.

After self-killing BIOS updates with F7 (both m/b when upgrading to 0040, required to restore the BIOS contents with hardware programmer), my preferred method is with Win Updater. But it still fails with the next steps:

• WinBiosUpdate reboots the machine;
  • m/b cuts off the power and stays so 10-20 seconds;
  • starts for a second and power cycles;
  • BIOS claims it didn't start normally last time and ask Y/N to enter and change some settings in BIOS;
  • in both cases (Y,N) ordinary Win start happens.
  • 1. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win
    aris1978 Community Member

Ι have tried the Windows BIOS update only once and it failed.Very unreliable. Don't use it again. I always use the F7 method to update the BIOS. It is always clean and successful.

• 2. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

Could you, please, CAREFULLY read about F7-update. As I wrote, F7 on older BIOS versions has self-erase "feature" (and you can easily find many discussions on that case). After such an "update" m/b can't start at all and required bios CHIP PROGRAMMING with HARDWARE programmer!

So, be careful with answers on Intel forums!

• 3. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

All I did was to post the way I perform the BIOS update and what results I had with both Windows update or F7 update. That's all .   As you can see your self the Windows Version has issues too. Other users had similar issues as well.

• 4. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win
    rseiler Community Member

Maybe you wrote about that somewhere, but not in this thread. What is your definition of an older BIOS?  All of them are older.

• 5. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

Older BIOSes - are versions before 0042 (corrected original message).

In bios v.0042 release notes stated, that 'F7 m/b killing bug' was fixed, but... I'm not sure now about F7 update process. Especially with still buggy winUpdate utility.

Of cause, I'm already know m/b restore procedure, but it's not attractive to face with died PC again. F7 is pregnant with fatal consequences till now.

• 6. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win
    yamcenutzer Community Member

The win update is less reliable than F7 is less reliable than recovery is less reliable than getting it done by intel themselves (Hardware programmer, as you say) is not very reliable.

Summary:

Intel BIOS upgrade process needs improvement in general.

In my collection of ca 20 Intel boards over the past 12 years the DZ68DB has set an all time low wrt BIOS features and reliability.

So did you do a 'Hardware programming' on your bricked boards (how?), or did you send them in to someone (who?)

After bricking my first DZ68DB with an attempt to upgrade from 032->40,  my current DZ68DB came with 032, and I waited until 042, which I did with F7, then again 043 (F7). The I found some issues and reapplied 043 with recovery method. Now it seems to work (for me).

• 7. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

yamcenutzer wrote:

The win update < reliable than F7 < recovery < Hardware programmer

It's very debatable and offtopic .

So did you do a 'Hardware programming' on your bricked boards (how?).

Yes, I did it myself with two self-killing boards (while try with F7 update because of WinUpd didn't work). There is detailed instruction from Intel itself how to workout SPI-flash programming (part of UEFI Development Kit).

After bricking my first DZ68DB with an attempt to upgrade from 032->40 and I waited until 042, which I did with F7, then again 043 (F7).

Such a strange 'brick'. How you can make F7 update if m/b bricked? In the case of a 'brick' you can't start hardware at all because of fatal firmware damage: bios startup code (boot block) erased and m/b can't start at all (even in repair mode, selected by jumper). No code to execute for CPU, only endless powercycling (in that case).

Rev. 103 m/b selfkilled while 0040 -> 0042 try and rev. 104 - from 0032 (factory firmware) -> 0042 (to get support for the Ivy Bridge CPU).

• 8. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

My Board is an AA#101 Board. It came with BIOS version 0014. First of all I tried to update to 0032 BIOS using the windows .exe method. Fail.  After that I tried the F7 Method and it was successful. Since then I update my BIOS using the F7 method (versions 0040,0042,0043) without any issues (except for the overclocking bug in the 0040 BIOS, which was BIOS related and not board related). In my opinion this is the cleanest and safest method to update the BIOS according to my experience of course. My system seems to perform fast and healthy. BIOS settings work, start-restart is fast, no issues with devices, overclocking works. I get the impression that my system is "healthy".

• 9. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

My Board is an AA#101

the F7 Method and it was successful

You have different revision, you havn't problems with it (except win_upd). And you wrote many pleasant for m/b manufacture .

Summarizing all you say, I have no reasons to rise up that discussion for that great product? Or even that I'm figure out my problems with erased bioses? You are lucky man, you haven't any problems with your m/b. Congratulations.

The main purpose of that discussion are: to stimulate intel engineers to rise up the quality of their firmware/software products; to get the info how to get over the described difficulty. I don't need success stories here, thanks (especially I have one with reprogramming flash chip).

• 10. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

I liked this board and what it had to offer, looks nice too, Intel was famous for its product stability etc.etc. At the end I do not regret it, I am satisfied with it and have read many (positive) user reviews before chosing it among others, price was OK too. But surely you have a point here. Intel should improve the Updates quality. I mean what we experienced with the 0040 BIOS update until the 0042 update was published was not quite pleasant. And there is even worse since the DZ68BC owners are still in trouble because their Board's latest update (0035) broke so many boards. Just unbeleivable. And still after almost 4 Months that the problem occured there in no update yet to fix the Problem.

All these complaints are written here because we like Intel and it's products and we want that everything is reliable and stable when we decide to try it. Isn't like that?

PS: Forgot to mention, that I always reset to BIOS defaults before updating  even if the changes I have applied are of no great importance (like Boot Order, primary GPU etc).

• 11. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

My first dz68db was AA101 and got bricked trying to apply 040.

My second one is AA104 , and on that I performed the updates as explained above.

If you think experience reports are off topic, I think your'e in the wrong forum.

In fact, you will almost only find experience reports from users here. This is after all a 'community' forum and NOT and INTEL SUPPORT FORUM. They sometimes do read and respond though.

• 12. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

Messages like  "Oh, I have _not_ such a problem in the same/other circumstances!", "Yes, world isn't perfect!", "So good the product we both bought, and the company that made it; we still love it all!", ...  - IS OFFTOPIC. I'm sure!!! Because they do NOT help, do NOT answer the question, do NOT give any idea. IT IS only informational NOISE. And the opportunity to rise the scores/rating on resources, rewarding participants activity in some form and _not_ distinguishing the messages quantity & quality. Please, reread the discussion in that perspective and tell me how many answers helps me to move ahead.

• 13. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win

OK, your attempt with win bios update failed. Bad Luck

Two people here have said, they used F7 or recovery to get to 042/043.

One person (me) has said, he doesn't trust win update.

All of us in this thread agree that 040 is bad, whichever method you use.

In fact it seems the consensus in this forum is that 040 BIOS is evil regardless of update method.

What else do you expect here?

This is a phenomenological aproach, not less, not more. You have to decide yourself which of the posts you want to consider to what degree yourself. Noone can/will probably help you directly.

Only Intel can answer specifically, but probably not here.

• 14. Re: m/b DZ68DB. Upgrade to BIOS 0043 still a problem in Win
    Hongdi Community Member

Hi, i had successful update my new DZ68DB bios to 0043 working nicely. thanks for the links and guidance in this post!

My Spec and details:

My board AA## - 104

Original Bios - .0032

To be used processor - intel i7 - 3770k 3rd gen

processor used for bios update - core i3-2100  sandy bridge 2nd gen

RAM - 8gb Team Elite performance ram

Initially the pc i installed with i7 processor end up tri-beeps shown undetected RAM. After google for solution online, found that there is something to do with the Bios which 3rd gen intel processor could only be compatible on bios 0040 onwards...such a dissapoint that the board is not 3rd gen intel compatible ready....

So i borrowed a sandy bridge i3 2nd gen from friend and start flashing the bios, first i installed window 7 to the pc. Then run the bios update with iexpress (.exe) method from bios 0032 to 0043. It ended successfully. Then during reboot, F2 into boot menu found that the Intel Management Engine (ME) didnt update to Version 8 (current version 7) . Then with bios update recovery method (pulling off the bios jumper on board with USB flashdisc plugged in) the ME updated to version 8 in mint!

Woala! Everthing completed and the core i7 3rd gen detected!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...