1 2 3 Previous Next 107 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 6:37 PM by doom_laur

BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology

doom_laur

Hello! I just installed the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage technology and my PC doesn't boot anymore. I have an MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) motherboard, an SSD ADATA S510 120GB and a HDD Samsung Spinpoint F3. I have Windows 7 64-bit installed on the SSD. The SATA mode is set to AHCI. I have the latest firmware installed for my SSD. Everything worked perfectly until I installed the Intel RST drivers, because before I used the Windows drivers. What should I do now??? I don't want to reinstall Windows.

• 1. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
          doom_laur

I could finally boot by selecting the "last known good configuration". However, the "Intel RST service is not running" and I think now it works using the Windows drivers. Should I uninstall Intel RST? Does it give me better performance than the Windows default drivers?

• 2. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
            doom_laur

I can't believe noone had this problem. I need help urgently! Please?

• 3. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
              nails

To install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, the system BIOS must include the SATA RAID option ROM and you must enable RAID in the BIOS. You can be running the SATA contoller in RAID mode and AHCI at the same time, just set the SATA controller to RAID and install both the RAID and AHCI drivers. You can also run single drives off the RAID controller while the controller is set to RAID. I would recommend you enable RAID on the controller before installing the operating system. You can install the latest IRST version driver for your motherboard at the beginning of the Windows 7 installation on a single drive.

You should also be aware of compatibility problems with Samsung F3 hard drives and some Intel chipsets that require a firmware update to the Samsung drive. Patch program only works with models HD323HJ / HD502HJ / HD503HI / HD103SJ / HD105SI..

• 4. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                doom_laur

Thanks for the answer!

I don't plan to use RAID but just to use the two drives on AHCI mode, with Windows installed on the SSD. I contacted Intel live chat and during that I remembered that at the beginning Intel RST worked for me, then when I reinstalled Windows the last time it didn't anymore. The last time I did was after i bought my new ADATA SSD, so I contacted ADATA and the technician said that he'll test the SSD to see if it has any problem with Intel RST. Now I'm waiting for the results of the test and a possible solution. Thank you again!

• 5. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                  corvid

Doom_laur,

I just found this post while searching for the answer to the problem I’m having. It’s a similar situation. I’m rebuilding a laptop that previously had a RAID caching setup with Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I don’t have a lot of reference for any of this but here’s what I have figured out so far.

It seems that Nails is correct in that Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers can’t be installed unless your controller is set to RAID mode. You can change to RAID mode without reinstalling windows by following the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976. Note, I ran into additional problems trying to get into RAID mode because there was still a previous RAID configuration on the controller that I had to clear out. If anyone needs more details on that I can make a longer post.

You can continue to run your disks as independent disks, the controller just needs to be in RAID mode. However, everything I’ve read suggests that if you don’t plan on using any RAID features you are probably better off leaving everything in AHCI mode and not using Intel Rapid Storage Technology. IRST won’t really help your performance if you are already running the OS off an SSD. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                    doom_laur

Thank you for the answer! But you see, i have SATA mode set to AHCI, and Intel RST is installing AHCI drivers, which should work. It's not like it would have only RAID drivers, so it has to work. My girlfriend with a gaming desktop and a gaming laptop has both set on AHCI and is running Intel RST on both of them just fine.

Anyway, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using RAID while leaving my disks independent? Thanks a lot!

• 7. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                      RobD

I don't think there's any difference in performance between ahci and non-raid raid and in fact, the two are pretty much the same thing, though non-raid raid still requires rst or at least the F6 driver.

The only disadvantage I can think of, of running non-raid raid, is that boot time is slowed up a tad by the appearance of the raid bios.

And your quite right, installing rst should not have killed your boot. It's as though the installer decided that there must be a raid volume to boot and confused the system.

But...hmmm....must try this myself and see what happens 

btw, I take it that you installed rst from the desktop [.exe] or did you go the device manager > update driver route?

• 8. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                        doom_laur

Thank you!   Yes I installed RST from the desktop, version 10.8.0.1003, downloaded from here: Download Center

I was careful when I installed it, and it showed that it installed the AHCI drivers, and not the RAID drivers, so everything should be ok.

I contacted Intel and the guy didn't know anymore how to help me, but I could remember that some time ago Intel RST worked but when I bought my SSD and tried to install Windows it gave me BSODs and then I figured out it was RST. So in order to solve that I contacted ADATA (the manufacturer of my SSD). I have a motherboard MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) but he borrowed the B3 (it also has another bios version of course) and with exactly my OS, my SSD with my firmware (the latest one) and that motherboard (which is close to my version) he didn't find anything wrong. Everything worked smoothly.

"You should also be aware of compatibility problems with Samsung F3 hard drives and some Intel chipsets that require a firmware update to the Samsung drive. Patch program only works with models HD323HJ / HD502HJ / HD503HI / HD103SJ / HD105SI.."

I can remember that under the same configuration but without the SSD it worked good. And I have the HD103SJ. However, Samsung stopped manufacturing HDDs and there's another support page, but in the old Samsung page I can remember that there was only a utility to allow me to configure very advanced settings of the HDD, which I have on a bootable CD, but nothing related to firmware upgrade.

• 9. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                          RobD

Ok, tried this as per OP and it works fine.

My 'current' setup is a single 2tb on the intel controller in ahci mode.

Win 7 x64 installed.

DX79SR board with intel and marvell controllers.

Below pics show the progess in device manager at each step.

The first pic shows all the devices in device manager with the win setup drivers, with the intel driver dialog along side so you can see the version after fresh install of OS.

All the ports for both the intel and marvell controllers show as ata devices. These all get rolled up into two entries, one for the Intel and one for the marvell.

ahci intel.jpg

The below pic is the same but showing the current drivers for the marvell controller, which is the 'Standard AHCI....' entry at the bottom of the list in device manager.

There is also a Marvell 91xx config device [out of frame] that will also roll over into system devices when the marvell software is installed.

ahci marvell.jpg

Next pic shows the change of status in device manager for the intel controller after having run the rst installer, but before doing a restart.

A new heading 'Storage controllers' has been created and the intel controller moved into it.

ahci after rst install.jpg

Next pic shows the messages I get after the restart with another restart requested.

ahci after 1st restart.jpg

Next pic shows the state of device manager after the 2nd restart with half the ata devices having been rolled up.

ahci after 2nd restart.jpg

Last pic is after having run the marvell installer. All ata devices have been rolled up, the marvell controller also moved to Storage controllers and the marvell 91xx config device moved to system devices.

I did momentarily get a 'driver not found' message for the config device, but this is normal. It shortly after that updates the driver unless you have hdd's connected to the marvell controller, in which case it updates after the restart.

ahci after marvell installer.jpg

• 10. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                            doom_laur

I'm glad that it works for you

I also have a Marvell 88SE9128 but I have it disabled from the BIOS.

I forgot to mention that a few days ago I reinstalled Windows for personal reasons and I tried again the Intel RST drivers and i had the same BSOD. The problem is that I can't even see what BSOD I have because it disappears in less than 1 second, and then Windows doesn't boot in normal mode, nor in safe mode. The only way to boot is to select Last Known Good Configuration. If I'm doing that and I'm trying to find the error with software like Blue Screen View, it doesn't appear the last BSOD, so the Last Known Good Configuration mode is deleting the BSOD logs.

As for my Device Manager, I took some photos as well. I see nothing wrong except that IDE controller???

device_manager_1.jpg

And another one:

device_manager_2.jpg

• 11. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                              RobD

Ok that ide entry is weird! Maybe it's an abberation of having it disabled in bios?

But if that's true, then the intel controller with it's ata ports should get rolled up to a single entry in storage controllers, or the rst installer has made a meal of it!

Your sure you've got the right installer?

Try enabling marvell and see if the ide entry changes state.

• 12. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                                doom_laur

I tried to activate the controller in bios and set it to AHCI (note that i don't have anything connected to the controller).

After that, when I started Windows it automatically installed some drivers and the result was this:

device_manager_3.jpg

I tried to install the Driver from the MSI website, from here: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-GD65--G3-.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2064

That made no difference, I also restarted and made no difference. The only way I made it work was to click Update Driver -> Browse my computer for driver software, and then to go to Program files and select the marvel folder, and it installed the driver. Anyway, the result was this:

device_manager_4.jpg

The controller didn't make any difference, except that it slows with 3 seconds my boot sequence because of the initialization of the controller.

Oh and maybe I forgot to mention, when I'm clicking Last Known Good Configuration, Intel RST is still installed but in the task bar it appears "Intel RST service is not running". So the drivers are not running, but the program itself is installed.

P.S.: I want a meal too

• 13. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                                  RobD

P.S.: I want a meal too

And the computer has desended from a meal to a dogs breakfast!!

After all that, the only entry thats correct is the marvell config.

Try getting the F6 drivers and updating with them.

They do get the driver wrong at times on webs  - Gigabyte and Terratec to name a couple of offenders

• 14. Re: BSOD after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology
                                    doom_laur

Is there anything I can do except continuing to send emails to ADATA?

1 2 3 Previous Next