Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

Virtual Machines Load Balancing Team in Hyper-V, Event ID 28 VMSMP

idata
Employee

When I have adapters configured in a Team as Virtual Machine Load Balancing, I recieve tons of warnings in the application log. Event ID 28, Source VMSMP, Port ***** was prevented from using MAC address ***** because it is pinned to port *****. I am running the latest drivers from the intel site.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Nick,

I was in touch with one of our virtualization experts, but he wasn't able to give me any ideas based on the information here. Please let us know a bit more about your setup. Here are some questions that will help us figure out what is happening.

Which version of Hyper-V or WIndows Server are you running?

What are the Ethernet devices that are in your system and in your team?

What are the driver versions of the Ethernet devices?

Your post indicates that you are using the Intel Virtual Machine Load Balancing team type. If that is not correct, let me know. Also, what is the driver version being used by the team?

Have you changed any of the default configurations on any of the Ethernet devices or teams? If yes, what configuration changes did you make?

Please explain your Hyper-V switch configuration.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are running Server 2008 R2.

It has two "Intel(R) Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapters".

The version on the driver tab of the NIC shows 11.17.27.0

The Team Type is Virtual Machine Load Balancing.

The version that shows on the driver tab when I am on the properties of a team is 9.8.42.0

On the link speed tab it shows a PROSet version of 17.1.55.0

I have disabled TCP Offloading and Receive Side Scaling.

I have enabled Virtual Machine Queues.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the information. Can you share how you configured your Hyper-V switch/NICs?

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We have two Hyper-V switches configured. Each of them are configured with two NIC's in a Virtual Machine Load Balancing Team.

0 Kudos