1 2 3 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 3:57 PM by sylvia_intel

Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K

Isaiah

I finally got all of my parts and completed the build and when I turned the computer on I heard 3 beeps (memory problem) and a 32 error code. I got the computer to boot by switching the memory around and by using only one at a time, but only with 2 of the 4 memory modules. They will only work in the "B" channel, on Dimm 4 and 2. I can have one in Dimm 4, one in Dimm 2, or one in both. As soon as I add a module to Dimm 1 and/or 3, I get the 3 beep memory problem error and the computer will not boot. I even bought another memory module from the store (different manufacturer) to be sure. I've updated the motherboard bios to the most current version (BHZ7710H.86A.0070.2012.0416.2117) but still have the same problem. The memory also showed up as 1333 MHz in the bios, but I was able to change it to 1600MHz with no problems.

Here's the specs:

Motherboard: DZ77BH-55K

CPU: Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 X 4GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 2GB PCI Express 2.0 X 16

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or are having the same problem, so we can find a solution. I really hope it's not a defective board, because I would hate to unplug everything, ship it back and wait for the new one to come.

• 1. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
          jim davis

Yep - I'm having problems also. Here is a post I put in a thread for the i5 3570k processor. Something is very fishy with the boards or the bios:

"I'm having a similar problem but with different hardware.

i5 3570k

DZ77BH-55K board

Started with 8 gigs Corsair memory [don't have number but it was 1600 2x4] . The new build would not boot with the memory in any configuration in the slots. Bad board? Returned it and got a new one. Same deal. Returned memory and got some Kingston HyperX KHX1600c9d3k2/8gx [2x4 gigs]. Fiddling around with it I get the computer to post with the sticks in the first two slots - it will not work in the 2nd and 4th slots [blue] which Intel says should be used. Update the bios from 0057 to 0070. The memory is running at 1333 1.5 volts. I enable the XMP profile and it changes to 1600 at 1.65 volts. I go buy a second set of the same memory and install it for a total of 16 gigs.

With this configuration the computer will boot and run most of the time. Sometimes I get the 3 beeps and have found that I must remove the stick in the 4th slot then the computer will boot. I can put the 4th stick back in and the same thing - boots most of the time but not always. When I set the bios to default the computer will not boot with 4 sticks in it at all period. This would be at the 1333 1.5 volts settings.

Right now I have the 4th stick of memory sitting in the box. Everthing seems to work fine with 12 gigs in the first three slots in XMP mode.

A guy on Intel chat told me the processor only supports 1333 1.5 volt memory but everything I have read says different...that it will support 1600 @ 1.65 volts.

What you all think? I think the bios is goofy. Looks good but has glitches. I've tried the all the memory in different slots so there's no problem with it. The returned board was acting the same way so I don't think it's a bad slot.

Jim"

I would like some answers also

Jim

• 2. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
            snoylekim

Same problem as you described with similar Crucial Memory ... Ballistix  8 gb DDR 3 1600  PC3 12800 CL 9, 1.5 V... first try, sticks in 1 and 3 ( blue , one for each channel)  .. POST code 41 .. no shutdown but POST/Boot Stops ..  Putting sticks in slots 3 and 4 (blue and black)  ..boots fine .. Memory reported as it should in BIOS and cpu-z .. I think POST 41 refers to a checksum error, but I'll let Intel decide that .. switched sticks , same thing .. grrr  ..needed to have the system up , so completed the build ..everything else was OK or self-inflicted

I'm OK for now , as I'm not going to 32G , and everything else works fine .. I'm not seeing any degradation on benchmarks by using channel 2, blue and black, either ..

Liking the board , but this has me worried ..  Might try a different brand of memory just for grins.. I really don't want to RMA the board, but ..

• 3. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
              Andrew

I've got the same problem you have posted here, but rest assured, I'm running an i7 3770 processor with the same memory, Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX, two kits for 16GB Ram.  I doubt its the i5 processor.  I  think it's something with the bios as well.  I have the latest version, 070 I believe.  At first, my computer would only boot with two memory modules in any slot.  If I put the other two modules in, then and only then would it boot with an XMP profile selected in the bios.  After I selected the XMP profile, then I could run the Kingston memory in all four slots and it has been booting up pretty reliably since.  The XMP profile runs them at 1.62v @1600.  

If I switch back to "automatic" mode which is 1.5v @ 1333 then I cannot boot my computer at all.  It says error 32 on the post code display.  If I switch it back to the XMP profile, then it may NOT boot at first, but then after two or three reset attemps, it will boot and recognize all the memory in all four slots.  All this without even removing any of the memory modules from any slot.  Its like "automatic" is not really "automatic." 

Reading this white paper kinda sheds light on how it works, somewhere in here I think is where the error really is and why it may boot with the modules in some slots but not in others:

Intel Extreme Memory Profile DDR3 Technology 

Andy

• 4. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                jim davis

It's good to see I'm not crazy. I do believe it's a bios problem. I hope Intel will get a look at some of these threads and get a new bios that works ok. I'm having a couple other problems also but won't bring them up here.

Jim

• 5. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                  phil_l

Hi

I'm running 4 sticks of Crucial Ballistic memory for 16GByte in total absolutely no issues with this board.

Memory by default will usually set itself up for 1333 at 1.5 volt for compatibility, and that applies for most if not all motherboards.  Good quality memory will run at 1.5 volt at 1600 but usually needs an XMP profile selected or manual changes.

If your memory needs a higher voltage than 1.5v it is usually an indication it isn't as good quality and you are essentially over-volting in order to over-clock it. Good quality memory will run at 1600 with 1.5v no problem and will be set to do so in the profile settings.

I found the best way to get 1600 in my case was to use the over clocking slider in the Visual Bios and moving that to 1600, rather than using an XMP profile which on my memory only offered 1800+.  Hidden profile settings that don't show up as an XMP profile are used to set up intermediate speeds.

To check what your memory is reporting it should run as, download CPU-Z, go to the About tab and save a report as a text file, in this list you will find an XMP timings table for each stick of DRAM which shows the voltage and settings the memory requires, for example mine shows (the MHz needs to be doubled to get the running MHz).

CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
                      XMP #1   6.0-6-6-18-32-2T @ 636 MHz (1.500 Volts)
                      XMP #2   7.0-7-7-21-37-2T @ 742 MHz (1.500 Volts)
                      XMP #3   8.0-8-8-24-42-2T @ 848 MHz (1.500 Volts)
                      XMP #4   9.0-9-9-27-48-2T @ 954 MHz (1.500 Volts)
                      XMP #5   10.0-10-10-30-53-2T @ 1060 MHz (1.500 Volts)

When I move the slider to 1600 it picks the closet settings with is XMP #3, but doesn't offer this an XMP profile in the BIOS.

Note you should reset the memory page settings to defaults, reboot back into the BIOS then make the adjustment, if you don't the BIOS seems to get confused.

Another pointer is static electricity is a killer to CPUs and memory and will give rise to all sorts of random problems like this and can damage channels in the memory controller on the CPU, mishandling the memory or the motherboard without the correct anti-static pre-cautious will give rise to these sorts of odd behaviours and malfunctions.  By static I don't mean visible static shocks, the damage is cause by static you can't feel, see or hear.  If components are damage in such a way they can't be fixed.

Regards

Phil

• 6. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                    jim davis

You kinda lost me there Phil. I'm relatively new to this.

I only have one XMP profile available in the bios but I understand what you mean about the slider.

Here is a part of my report - maybe you can tell me something from this:

DIMM #    1

SMBus address  0x50

Memory type  DDR3

Module format  UDIMM

Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)

Size   4096 MBytes

Max bandwidth  PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

Part number  KHX1600C9D3/4GX  

Serial number  471213F5

Manufacturing date Week 06/Year 12

Number of banks  8

Nominal Voltage  1.50 Volts

EPP   no

XMP   yes

XMP revision  1.2

JEDEC timings table  CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency

JEDEC #1  6.0-6-6-17-23 @ 457 MHz

JEDEC #2  7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz

JEDEC #3  8.0-8-8-22-30 @ 609 MHz

JEDEC #4  9.0-9-9-25-34 @ 685 MHz

XMP profile   XMP-1600

Specification  PC3-12800

Voltage level  1.650 Volts

Min Cycle time  1.250 ns (800 MHz)

Min tRP   11.25 ns

Min tRCD  11.25 ns

Min tWR   15.00 ns

Min tRAS  33.75 ns

Min tRC   45.00 ns

Min tRFC  160.00 ns

Min tRTP  7.50 ns

Min tRRD  6.00 ns

XMP timings table  CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)

XMP #1   6.0-6-6-18-24-0T @ 533 MHz (1.650 Volts)

XMP #2   7.0-7-7-21-28-0T @ 622 MHz (1.650 Volts)

XMP #3   8.0-8-8-24-32-0T @ 711 MHz (1.650 Volts)

XMP #4   9.0-9-9-27-36-0T @ 800 MHz (1.650 Volts)

Thanks,

jim

• 7. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                      phil_l

Hi

That print out shows you have the wrong memory.

The motherboard supports 1.5V or 1.35V memory, not 1.65V.  I think Ivy Bridge should support 1.65V but it is best avoid, with Sandy Bridge using 1.65V memory would void your warranty.

You need 1.5V (or less) DDR3 memory as that is all the motherboard is spec'd to support to the best of my knowledge.

Regards

Phil

• 8. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                        jim davis

Thank you. I will get some 1.5 v memory. Was looking at Crucial and Corsair.

Jim

• 9. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                          jim davis

I was able to return the Kingston memory and got some Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 1.5 volts [ 16 gigs 4x4].

It booted right up into the default bios settings at 1333. After setting to 1600 at first I was getting the three beep error - both when setting the XMP profile or just using the slider. Now I've tried it again later by setting the XMP profile and it's working perfect. Here's the report on the memory:

DIMM #    1

SMBus address  0x50

Memory type  DDR3

Module format  UDIMM

Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)

Size   4096 MBytes

Max bandwidth  PC3-10700H (667 MHz)

Part number  CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

Number of banks  8

Nominal Voltage  1.50 Volts

EPP   no

XMP   yes

XMP revision  1.2

JEDEC timings table  CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency

JEDEC #1  6.0-6-6-16-23 @ 444 MHz

JEDEC #2  7.0-7-7-19-27 @ 518 MHz

JEDEC #3  8.0-8-8-22-30 @ 592 MHz

JEDEC #4  9.0-9-9-24-34 @ 666 MHz

XMP profile   XMP-1600

Specification  PC3-12800

Voltage level  1.500 Volts

Min Cycle time  1.250 ns (800 MHz)

Min tRP   11.25 ns

Min tRCD  11.25 ns

Min tWR   15.00 ns

Min tRAS  30.00 ns

Min tRC   50.63 ns

Min tRFC  160.00 ns

Min tRTP  7.50 ns

Min tRRD  7.50 ns

Command Rate  2T

XMP timings table  CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)

XMP #1   6.0-6-6-16-27-2T @ 533 MHz (1.500 Volts)

XMP #2   9.0-9-9-24-41-2T @ 800 MHz (1.500 Volts)

As far as I can tell the settings are correct? If not please let me know. Thanks for your help and hopefully this discussion will help others.

jim

• 10. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                            jim davis

Got the 3 beeps error this morning starting computer. I'm just going to leave the memory run at 1333.

Jim

Are there other settings I need to change to make it run correctly at 1600??

• 11. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                              phil_l

Hi

There is probably not a lot of extra speed to be had from running at 1600MHz, it would make a bit of difference if you are using the CPU for graphics, but only then if playing games.

What I had to do to get my memory to run at 1600Mhz was going into Advanced and Performance then Memory, resetting the BIOS to defaults and saving changes, this might reset any other changes you have made so those might need remaking, then rebooting straight back into the BIOS, back to Advanced and Performance then Memory again and moving the overclock assistance slider to 1600Mhz and adjusting nothing else. Saving and rebooting and all has been fine ever since.  Once it was adjusted to 1600Mhz, any further adjustments were wrong after this, so to make any other adjustments correctly to the memory I had to repeat the reset to defaults and start again.  The BIOS is definitely buggy, for example any attempts at using the XMP profile, or making settings manually, even if they were all correct for 1600Mhz, caused it to fail to boot in my case, only moving the slide from defaults worked. Still waiting for a BIOS update and proper support for ATA security.  Intel have had to get Phoenix in to sort it all out, I wouldn't recommend buying an Intel motherboard after this one.

Regards

Phil

• 12. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                                jim davis

Thanks Phil - I'm going to leave it be for now. It's working real good at 1333.

Jim

• 13. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                                  Andrew

Well, I ended up abandoning the Kingston Memory and going with Crucial Balistics.  I can boot up with 16gb just fine in channel A but not anything in channel B.  With the Crucial memory I'm able to get 1600 @ 1.5v no problem running the bios defalt values.

I kept getting the beep errors when I first installed the memory in channle A then all of a sudden it started booting up from that.  If I keep tring the Crucial memory, I'm sure I'll get it to boot with both channels as it did before with the Kingston memory.  I can swap the memory modules that boot while in channel A with the other Crucial modules I have and it will boot up just fine.  So I know my memory is not the problem. 

It just seems to me that this BIOS remembers the last successful boot up sequence and settings and then sticks with that and if there is a change at all, it gives an error without actually checking for new memory.  I don't know how else to describe it other than that.  Sometimes when it fails to boot, I'll get a screen that says, "a change in bios profile has occured OR there is new hardware installed, would you like to go to settings OR boot from the last known settings?"

But, at least I can boot up successfully with 16GB at 1600 @ 1.5v with the Crucial memory and it just runs fabulous!  It just bugs me that I can't use all four memory slots at the same time without a bunch of hassle with the BIOS!!!!

Looks like Intel came out with a new Engine Management Driver for the Z77 Chipset on Monday for this board.

Way way too buggy indeed!

• 14. Re: Memory problems with new DZ77BH-55K
                                    dv8ed

Andrew: Thank you your steps worked for me with Kingston HyperX 16GB listed below but I reset like 4 to 5 times it kept on giving me memory error 32. Instead after the 4th or 5th reset I held the power button down until PC powered off then powered PC back on and it boots every single time now without any errors.

Definitely a BIOS issue Intel please fix!!! This PC is going out of state so I'm not sure if this will get corrected in the next BIOS update can't have customer troubleshooting this issue might have to downgrade memory to Kingston 8GB 1333.

Motherboard: DZ77BH-55K  Bios: BHZ7710H.86A.0070.2012.0416.2117

CPU: Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz

Memory: Kingston Technology HyperX 16 GB Kit (4x4 GB Modules) 16 Quad Channel Kit 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 640 2048MB GDDR3 Dual DVI, mHDMI Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2645-KR

1 2 3 Previous Next