3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2012 5:22 PM by Major_A RSS

Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo

Vladimir

Hello .. Im building a new pc for work ..

Im buying this motherboard  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H  , I already have 2 sticks of 4 GB  each one  they are:

Corsair       CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600MHZ 1.5V XMP RAM CAS9

and I want ( or at least my idea is ..)  to install  other 2 sticks of 8 GB each one

Corsair    CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600MHZ 1.5V XMP RAM CAS10

both  memorys are    1600 mhz , both are :1.5V the only difference is that  one is ¨CAS9¨ and the other ¨CAS10¨

my idea is to put them this way ,in order to make them work in dual channel (?) : 4-8-4-8  =24gb of ram ?

my doubt  mixing  4 and 8 gb sticks .. I would get  dual channel ? or is  not good,,its a waste of money,  and better get another  couple of 4gb  to make 4-4-4-4  ..  ?  any help would be very  appreciated!

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo
          Major_A

Yes, they'll work.  The faster RAM (CAS9) will default to the slower RAM (CAS10).  If you have both color coded memory slots occupied it will run in dual channel.

• 2. Re: Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo
            Vladimir

Thank you Major A! ..   so  if I  fill all the slots : 4-8-4-8  ,it would deliver me 24gb of ram ..

ok  Im  sure now  ,  correct me if Im wrong , but I was afraid that  if I fill them whit 4gb for the first slot  this would  downgrade or lower the 8gb performance ....

and yeap   giga z77 dh3   it has  blue-white-blue-white slots

• 3. Re: Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo
              Major_A

It will work.  Typing this on a computer running 2 different sets of DDR2 800 (2x1GB Elpida and 2x2GB A-Data).  Working just fine and has been for a while now.  Did something similar with my old C2Q 9550 machine, had 2 different OCZ kits running fine.  The only tid bit of advice to help ensure stability is to run the slower kit in the slot 1 and 3.  Then the faster stuff in slot 2 and 4.

Here's a screenshot of my mismatched RAM in CPU-Z.

RAM_CPU_Z.PNG