3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2012 5:22 PM by Major_A RSS

Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo

Hello .. Im building a new pc for work ..

Im buying this motherboard  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H  , I already have 2 sticks of 4 GB  each one  they are:

Corsair       CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600MHZ 1.5V XMP RAM CAS9

and I want ( or at least my idea is ..)  to install  other 2 sticks of 8 GB each one

Corsair    CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600MHZ 1.5V XMP RAM CAS10

both  memorys are    1600 mhz , both are :1.5V the only difference is that  one is ¨CAS9¨ and the other ¨CAS10¨

my idea is to put them this way ,in order to make them work in dual channel (?) : 4-8-4-8  =24gb of ram ?

my doubt  mixing  4 and 8 gb sticks .. I would get  dual channel ? or is  not good,,its a waste of money,  and better get another  couple of 4gb  to make 4-4-4-4  ..  ?  any help would be very  appreciated!

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo

Yes, they'll work.  The faster RAM (CAS9) will default to the slower RAM (CAS10).  If you have both color coded memory slots occupied it will run in dual channel.

• 2. Re: Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo

Thank you Major A! ..   so  if I  fill all the slots : 4-8-4-8  ,it would deliver me 24gb of ram ..

ok  Im  sure now  ,  correct me if Im wrong , but I was afraid that  if I fill them whit 4gb for the first slot  this would  downgrade or lower the 8gb performance ....

and yeap   giga z77 dh3   it has  blue-white-blue-white slots

• 3. Re: Help with doubt ,RAM & GA-Z77-D3H mobo

It will work.  Typing this on a computer running 2 different sets of DDR2 800 (2x1GB Elpida and 2x2GB A-Data).  Working just fine and has been for a while now.  Did something similar with my old C2Q 9550 machine, had 2 different OCZ kits running fine.  The only tid bit of advice to help ensure stability is to run the slower kit in the slot 1 and 3.  Then the faster stuff in slot 2 and 4.

Here's a screenshot of my mismatched RAM in CPU-Z.