Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

HD 4000 - no PCM audio after resuming from standby

idata
Employee

Consider the following scenario:

- Driver version 2761 is installed (with Display Audio Driver: 6.14.0.3090)

- HDMI is connected to AMP with full audio capabilities (PCM/Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA)

- In Windows Media Center, play content with Dolby Digital audio

- Then switch to content with 2 channel PCM audio

- Put the computer in standby mode

- Resume (wake) from standby mode

There now is a high chance (~50%) that 2 channel PCM does not work anymore. You will not here Media Center navigation sounds and you will not be able to play PCM content. Also the standard Windows sounds are not heard (like Explorer navigation "clicks").

To restore PCM playback, I have found the following to work:

- Play content with Dolby Digital audio. After that, 2 channel PCM works again

- Shortly disconnect HDMI cable

Some more information:

- Tested on Intel Core i5 3570K on an Asus P8Z77-M motherboard

- Clean Windows 7 64 bit installation using just Windows Media Center and no other player or codecs

- The amplifier and TV stay switched on during the test

In the release notes of driver version 2761 it says:

"Resolved issue where sound may not be heard after waking the computer from Sleep state."

Might this issue be related to my problem?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

You will also loose audio if you switch between full screen and normal window a few times.

This will happen when you use Windows Media Center to play a stereo track, and the audio is output as 2 channel PCM over HDMI. It especially happens if you first play Dolby Digital content, like a DVD with Windows Media Center.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This still happens consistently.

Could someone please confirm this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

does the issue happen with any other media player like VLC?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I haven't tried VLC. I will do this, and report the result shortly.

I will also try the standard Windows MediaPlayer and Mirillis Splash. The test will be the same: play some Dolby 5.1 and then stereo, followed by standby/resume cycle.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After some more testing I can say that it only happens with Windows Media Center and not with other players.

I have found that PCM audio (including standard Windows sounds) can also be restored by stopping/starting Windows Media Center, in addition to the "remedies" in my original post.

As I have never had this problem with nVidia or AMD, I assume it is a driver bug or incompatibility.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When switching between different refresh rates in XBMC, sometimes PCM stereo also stops working. You will not hear the GUI navigations sounds anymore. If you then start DVD playback, audio is activated again.

Is there an Intel representative who can say if this issue is under attention?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please give this some more attention...

I've got a sub-optimal solution: under playback devices, change the default bitdepth and samplerate to 16 bit, 32000 Hz. Only with that combination will the PCM audio keep going.

How te reproduce:

- connect HDMI capable amplifier

- start Windows Media Center (full screen!)

- start Dolby Digital 5.1 playback (e.g. DVD)

- press stop

- now start some music track

- while playing, switch Media Center from full screen to windowed mode

- now you will hear no more sound

The same happens after the PC resumes from sleep (which was the original problem)

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback on this matter. I will forward this information to our research team in order to verify the issue and provide an answer to this matter.

Additionally, could you please attach the graphics report generated by the Intel® Graphics and Media control panel and the dxdiag report?

For information on how to get the report, please check this article:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009476.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009476.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

The generic drivers give exactly the same results as the test drivers. I moved to the test drivers because of a fixed video problem. The Intel Display Audio driver is dated june 16th 2012,

I have also tested on Windows 8. There an extra problem is added: when you play some content in Windows Media Center, and then stop the playback and wait for some time (5-30 mins), the HDMI sound output stops. When you then navigate through Media Center you won't hear the navigation sounds anymore. It can be "revived" by playing dolby digital content.

I'm guessing both problems are related, as they both have to do with Windows Media Center, PCM and dolby digital.

If there's anything more I can test, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hello Heiermachen,

We are still researching on this matter, thank you for your patient and understanding.

Is it possible to provide make and model of the AMP? I appreciate this information for further research.

Thanks

Allan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Allan, it's good to hear that you're still investigating this. Btw my name is Hans

The AMP is a Yamaha RX-V467.

As a test, I have also tried with another PC which has a separate video card (nVidia). There I don't experience any audio problem. Just thought I should let you know.

Regards,

Hans

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The audio problems with Media Center and with XBMC still exists in driver version xxxx.3071.

This driver package has an updated audio driver so I was kind of hoping it got solved.

0 Kudos