5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 7:30 AM by pentium

DZ77BH-55K USB 3.0 header not wroking properly

scooter

Greetings,

I have just installed a front panel USB 3.0 device (Biostar USB 3.0 front panel)  in my case that attaches to the USB 3.0 header on the Motherboard. When I booted, Windows told me that the device had been discovered and the drivers properly installed and it was ready for use after a restart. I did restart the machine. When I plugged a USB external HD into the new front port, the external HD did power up but no USB device showed up in My Computer even with refreshing and a long wait and multiple reboots.

I tried unplugging the header, rebooting, and then plugging the header back in again, but nothing changed. Also I am not sure if I am seeing anything related to this device in device manager either.

I am out of ideas. Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance!

• 2. Re: DZ77BH-55K USB 3.0 header not wroking properly
          scooter

Ah yes, I see that I am not alone. This mobo has been a real challenge. First one was defective on the PCIe slots and would not recognize a video card. Replacement was OK. But now this; harumpf.

It is interesting though that everyone seems to be getting some action on their front USB 3.0 but I am getting only power and no recognition of an external device at all.

Perhaps the best solution is going to be abandoning this apparently faulty 3.0 header and either getting a front panel USB 3.0 pass through to the back USB 3.0 ports or a PCIe card with its own 19 pin connector to use with the front panel USB 3.0 ports. Both are at newegg and amazon.

Has anyone done this?

• 3. Re: DZ77BH-55K USB 3.0 header not wroking properly
            SaltyDog

For the DH77EB and DZ77GA the fix is already implemented in the latest BIOS release: "Fixed issue with USB 3.0 front panel." Didn't checked other boards of this chipset family.

Man, this reminds on my decision approx. 6 years ago to buy a Sockel 775 board from Intel. However there was a stupid problem with some power indicator or hdd led which behaves strange. Bottom line is: I bought a Asus boards which still works under my desk.

Damn, I wanted to buy the DZ77BH due to its well-arranged Visual Bios and good fan control for my upcoming Ivy Bridge system. But I didn't want to spend money for this USB crap issues, all other boards with this features are less expensive than this Intel one.

• 4. Re: DZ77BH-55K USB 3.0 header not wroking properly
              scooter

I had contact with Intel support via their very good chat feature. My agent acknowledged that Intel is very aware of the problem. They told me: "correct, we don't have an ETA yet for this matter but we can confirm Intel(R) is working on a solution to solve it very soon"

So perhaps we will get lucky and a BIOS update will fix this. I will wait off on bailing out to using the rear USB 3.0 ports and wiring them to the front panel.

I will also put this info on the much longer previous thread: http://communities.intel.com/thread/29590  that addresses this issue and stop posting on this one.

• 5. Re: DZ77BH-55K USB 3.0 header not wroking properly
                pentium

SaltyDog wrote:

For the DH77EB and DZ77GA the fix is already implemented in the latest BIOS release: "Fixed issue with USB 3.0 front panel." Didn't checked other boards of this chipset family.

Man, this reminds on my decision approx. 6 years ago to buy a Sockel 775 board from Intel. However there was a stupid problem with some power indicator or hdd led which behaves strange. Bottom line is: I bought a Asus boards which still works under my desk.

Damn, I wanted to buy the DZ77BH due to its well-arranged Visual Bios and good fan control for my upcoming Ivy Bridge system. But I didn't want to spend money for this USB crap issues, all other boards with this features are less expensive than this Intel one.

You are propably talking about Bad Axe 2 motherboard. Intel fixed this issue with later version of BIOS-es and it was quick fix release. Bottom line is: I am still using this motherboard, it works flawlessly.