Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20455 Discussions

Crash in igxext with DisplayLink drivers installed

idata
Employee

My configuration:

SAMSUNG NP700Z7C-S01US Laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

This is an Nvidia Optimus machine with Intel Ivy Bridge (HD4000) integrated graphics and an Nvidia 650M.

In order to support two external displays, I bought a Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI / DVI Adapter which uses the DisplayLink USB video chipset.

After installing the DisplayLink driver, I get two identical crash

messages after logging in to Windows:

Quote:

"igfxext Module has stopped working"

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: igfxext.exe

Application Version: 8.15.10.2618

Application Timestamp: 4f064ec0

Fault Module Name: StackHash_c834

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec4aa8e

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 00000000000c40f2

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: c834

Additional Information 2: c834bf9b688dbb068c29833c91733e5f

Additional Information 3: 54d4

Additional Information 4: 54d4d392faef445891ef0e9308df5716

I reported this problem on the DisplayLink forum: http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1756 Problem with DisplayLink Driver and Samsung Easy Settings Software

And received the following response:

Unfortunately this crash is in the Intel Graphics app. This app assumes that there are only the 2 Intel displays present on the PC, and crashes when it finds more displays connected. This needs to be fixed by Intel as we cannot work around this. They should not assume that there would only be the 2 Intel graphics cards connected to the PC.

We have raised this issue with Intel, but they have not been forthcoming with a fix.

So according to DisplayLink, the Intel driver has a bug which causes it to crash if there are additional displays connected. Is Intel planning a fix for this issue, or is there a work-around available?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

Systems using switchable graphics require the usage of a special driver to use the Intel(R) video controller and the third party one you have in your system.

That special driver is provided only by your computer manufacturer, therefore you should contact your system manufacturer directly for assistance on this matter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

Systems using switchable graphics require the usage of a special driver to use the Intel(R) video controller and the third party one you have in your system.

That special driver is provided only by your computer manufacturer, therefore you should contact your system manufacturer directly for assistance on this matter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Diego,

Please be specific with the "special driver" type we need to reach out to our manufacturers for. We are using after-market DisplayLink-powered docking stations to connect additional displays, e.g. Targus, so I doubt Samsung nor anyone else will offer something special.

Graphics drivers on Samsung's site just refer back to the out-of-box Intel driver. Please help.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeffrey

In a nutshell,, Intel provides, inthis case, Nvidia the Intel HD Graphics driver to combine with the Nvidia Optimus driver for use on Switchable Graphics based systems.

Please see the following FAQ for additional information.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm?wapkw=switchable+graphics http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm?wapkw=switchable+graphics

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert_U, and thanks for your response. I am having a similar issue (igfxext crashing with DisplayLink drivers installed), this time on a Lenovo machine.

However, I think there has been some confusion so far in this thread. The issue under discussion is NOT an issue with Switchable Graphics (for which I agree that the manufacturer needs to provide suitable drivers). My laptop does have switchable graphics, but that works just fine.

The incompatibility under discussion is instead seen when using an additional, *external* graphics card, connected via USB. This display should work at the same time as the Intel or discrete graphics adapter - on a separate monitor, of course - and mostly it does; the issue is that the "igfxext" process crashes repeatedly.

The support site for the USB graphics adapter has a http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1756 page about this issue indicating that it is Intel that needs to provide an updated driver to fix this issue. Is that true? If so, what can we do to help this issue get resolved?

0 Kudos