1 2 3 Previous Next 4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 10:01 AM by

DQ45CB - CPU & case fan speed (QST)

Hi there,

I recently upgrade my stock cpu fan with an Arctic Cooling  Freezer 7 Pro ( http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_42&mID=72) and two case fans Arctic Fan 9 PWM ( http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_47_65&mID=109 ).  The behavior of the mainboard is a little bit strange to me so I will describe it here in case anyone has more information to bring some light into this.

As you can see on the Arctic Cooling website you can daisy chain those fans which I did. The result was the fans were running pretty quiet and the fan speed was reported around 650 RPM. I tried to put some load on the system (prime95) and the cpu temeprature went up but the fans were still spinning at the same rate. No matter what I tried in terms of load I couldn't make them spin faster. The core temperature reported was around 60 C (using CoreTemp utility).  I'm not sure if this a normal behavior or not on this mainboard. On the older boards I used the speed of fans was increasing with the load. Then I tried something else. I left on the CPU fan socket connected only the Freezer 7 Pro and connect the other two PWM fans on the 3 pins headers from the mainboard (front & rear ). The result was the CPU fan is running now around 900 RPM and sits there no matter what load I add to it. The core temperature is the same , around 60C. The interesting thing happened with the case fans which now are spinning between 900 - 1700 RPM and changing the speed every 1 or 2 seconds. So basically they spin up and then down every second or two which is annoying and generate a lot of noise too. Do you think there is an incompatibility of some sort between those fans and the mainboard ? They are brand new and I test them on a different system (Asus mainboard) and they perform normal there. Also I went into BIOS and I was playing with the Fan Control settings which for me didn't change anything as far as I can see in the reporting fan speeds . I went also into the Maintenance mode of BIOS and enable "Unlock QST" feature but without any visible changes to me. Then I tried to disable the QST from the AMT menus but this didn't work at all. I tried couple of times and it seems to be consistent : as soon as I change the QST setting into Disabled and the system restarts the fans are start spinning at full speed, and the system doesn't post anymore. The only way to bring it back to life is to reset the CMOS by removing the battery. Anyone else notice this ?

I'm running the latest BIOS from Jan 22 I think on the board and the CPU I have is a Q9650.

Thanks for any hint you might have !

Jim.

• 1. Re: DQ45CB - CPU & case fan speed (QST)
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

In the maintenance mode, it is advisable to enable the Unlock QST if you are using any monitoring software
          Note: Yes option allows the fan control settings to be changed using software.

Then Go on MEB BIOS Ctrl + P
          Intel Me State Control : Enabled
          Intel Me features >> Intel Quiet System Technology:  Enabled

Note: Enables or disables Intel® Quiet System Technology (IQST). IQST is intelligent system fan speed control algorithms that use operating temperature

ranges more efficiently to reduce perceived system noise by minimizing fan speed changes.

Note: If Ctrl+P is not available, go into the BIOS, Advanced Configuration, there is an option to enable the display for Ctrl + P overthere.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: DQ45CB - CPU & case fan speed (QST)
            Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.

I also have the same problem with cpu, rear and front fan. My stock e8400 hsf can't go more than 1000rpm when connected to processor fan header (4 pins) on the motherboard. I try connect the cpu fan cable to rear fan header and it boast 1500 rpm but nothing more.

My rear fan is CM fan with led. Everytime I connect the fan power cable to rear fan header, the led is blinking and the fan speed not running with the same speed. Every 1 or 2 seconds the speed will change to 500 rpm to 1000 rpm to 500 rpm (my estimation), continously. The fan is in good conditon as I already test with other motherboard.

How to control the fan? What actual software I need to download to solved the problem. So far I only installed drivers (Audio, Chipset, Network and graphic) and Intel Management Engine. Don't know how to set with in Windows vista x64.

My Bios is ver 0075.

• 3. Re: DQ45CB - CPU & case fan speed (QST)

I also have the same problem with cpu, rear and front fan. My stock e8400 hsf can't go more than 1000rpm when connected to processor fan header (4 pins) on the motherboard. I try connect the cpu fan cable to rear fan header and it boast 1500 rpm but nothing more.

My rear fan is CM fan with led. Everytime I connect the fan power cable to rear fan header, the led is blinking and the fan speed not running with the same speed. Every 1 or 2 seconds the speed will change to 500 rpm to 1000 rpm to 500 rpm (my estimation), continously. The fan is in good conditon as I already test with other motherboard.

How to control the fan? What actual software I need to download to solved the problem. So far I only installed drivers (Audio, Chipset, Network and graphic) and Intel Management Engine. Don't know how to set with in Windows vista x64.

My Bios is ver 0075.

• 4. Re: DQ45CB - CPU & case fan speed (QST)
                mdzashah

My problem almost similar with Jim.

I use stock heat sink fan (HSF) for my E8400 connected to 4-pins processor fan header on the motherboard (DQ45CB). The maximum speed I get from the fan is only 1000 rpm, even in stress test, the fan maximum speed is 1000 rpm. I believe the stock hsf can go up to 2000 rpm.

I already do want you point out above. Enabling the Unlock QST in maintenance mode but which software I can use to fully utilize this function? I use Vista x64.

My current cpu temperature (not thermal margin) is 55c in idle and can reach 70c when full load. This is very dangerous and can really harm my processor. The processor fan fail to achive it maximum speed. I also try with other hsf and sadly, the same thing happen.

I try connect the processor fan into rear fan header (3-pins) and the fan was able to run at 1500 rpm but nothing more. The temperature improve from 55c to 50c but I think this doesn't actually solve the problem. I also try connect LED 120mm fan into rear fan header, the fan led keep blinking and the speed up and down within second (200rpm to 1000rpm to 200 rpm continuosly). Even try with normal fan (without LED).

I also try turnof Intel AMT but nothing happen. When Disable the Intel ME, the screen stuck at "Enter ctrl+p ...." screen. Reset and enable Intel ME again is the only option to enter windows again.

I don't use VPro function, how to disable it? I'm just normal home user that happen to own a business motherboard.

What should I do? Now I think that Intel motherboard is hard to use and troublesome. Or may be because of the chipset?

• 5. ALUIiRCBjHPwMQFt
                  Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.
                  • 6. XVlkFqikqcR
                    • 7. IVGtmijQimCO
                      • 8. PKQXOlVWAZdljeIpyN
                        • 9. CPfUjTvyXvjaheBXm
                          • 10. nCEQPhkMQOs
                            • 11. WgxstKfZhYAT
                              • 12. Re: DQ45CB - CPU & case fan speed (QST)

I've installed Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6300 (2.8GHZ) along with Cooler Master Vortex v2 CPU cooler with 4 pins and have strange CPU fan behavior. It starts for about a second reaching about 2000-2500 RPM and producing very annoying noise. After that it slarts slowing until it stops completely. After several seconds it starts again, then stops, and then cycles again and again, making very annoying noise. If I try to connect CPU cooler to 3 pin connector, it runs at about 1800-2100, but speed varies in this range constantly.

I've upgraded BIOS for 0059 to latest (0085) for that motherboard.

I've tried to disable QST but fan generates a lot of noise then. After I've enabled QST back, fan in rotating about 90 (yes, ninety) RPM. I bet it will stop some time after and will start generating annoying noise again and again.

How can I make CPU cooler rotate constantly at about 500-900 RPMs. I hope that it should be enough to cool my system

• 13. aiJQEXxhrgEmKJ
                                  • 14. rMLYAeBvGocpylm
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next