Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i5-2500K Stock Heatsink Fan Regulation

idata
Employee

k,i have had a system built for 5months and have never been at ease with the temperatures with the stock cooler installed with no overclocking done. from past experiences (775) the cooler fan RPM (2500rpm+) would increase with temperature. this processor will cold boot a 3500rpm and down play to 2100rpm. with the motherboard (EVGA P67 SLI) Smart Fan manullay set to 100% fan speed, i am still at 2100rpm. apply direct 12v to the fan and it'll rev to 3500rpm and again settle to 2100rpm. i understand energy consumption, noise and ease of use, but this is not useful if the fan cannot be used @ 100% efficent if is "throttled" to only perform at 2100rpm. the original themal material was replaced after two months of operation in attacking this situation. with fan on maximum (2100rpm) the temps are:

ambient: 28°

system: 35°

CPU idle: 34°

CPU load: 96° (testing is 5 continious runs in Maximum w/7.5GB memory not extreme)

is the stock intel heatsink fan throttled to only achive 2100rpm in a 100% load condition?

does the fan speed increase if overclocked at a point?

thank you for your time and if, possible your answers

airdeano

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

The TCase for the Intel® Core i5-2500K is 72.6 degrees Celsius.

The TCase is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the Tcase.

The Intel fan on these type of processors can reach around 2500 to 3000 RPMS, if the operating system determines that it is needed.

You can try installing the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, but as long as the system does not determine that there is an overheating issues, then the fan will not increase that much.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

sounds right, but the fan assembly i have will not engage any fan speed above 2000rpm, even @ 100° or even with a 12v fan connector driven from the PSU. the fan never divates from the 100% threshold the motherboard commands. when i power it to a 12v source from PSU during the testing, it still never wanders anything faster. it will burst rpm upon connection, but that is all the high-speed happens is jusy on inital voltage contact.

my socket 775 when under a heavy load will ramp in speed over 3000rpm with temperatures decreasing and thats what i was looking for in this 1155 socket assembly. there is really no reason this 1155 assembly cannot handle a loaded situation better with/without motherboard support. possibility of a defect assembly?

airdeano

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

If you believe that the fan/heatsink is defective, I would suggest contacting the local support center for them to replace the fan/heatsink.

You can find the local support center for your region at:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

I personally believe that if the processor is not overheating with the fan running at 2000 RPMs, there should not be any issue.

0 Kudos