6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 4:07 AM by Flying_Kiwi

DH67CL died on bios update?

Jarkko

Hi eveyone,

as said, tried to update DH67CL to latest bios version (0155) but after update, which was successful according to board, machine won't boot anymore. Fans start but no beeps or anything else.

Method used was F7, from USB stick.

Only other components connected are CPU (i3 2100) and 2x2Gb Kingston 1333, using onboard video.

Even recovery doesn't start, as said, no signs of life.

Is there anything I could try?

edit: and of course all normal actions are tried, including CMOS clearing.

• 1. Re: DH67CL died on bios update?
          Flying_Kiwi

Jarkko wrote:

Even recovery doesn't start, as said, no signs of life.

What signs of life during the recovery process were you expecting? How long did you leave it attempting to perform the recovery flash or did you just see nothing on the screen and assume it had failed? Have you had a read of Intels blurb on the recovery procedure? It'd also be worth redownloading the file and trying another USB stick (especially a lower capacity one partitioned/formatted in FAT32 if that's not what you used).

• 2. Re: DH67CL died on bios update?
            Jarkko

Well, for example flashing LED on USB stick would be one, that would indicate some activity.

Secondly, screen doesn't even wake so no output from DVI.

And stick used was 256Mb FAT32-formatted, "old" Kingston I use only for bios updates (also boots to pure DOS if needed).

And yes, I've read recovery instructions and followed it to the letter.

Smells like ME8 update did it again Unfortunately I don't have Ivy to test.

edit: I'm pretty sure that recovery wouldn't even make any difference, since bios file used was without doubt right one (BL0155P.bio) and update completed successfully.

• 3. Re: DH67CL died on bios update?
              Flying_Kiwi

Jarkko wrote:

Well, for example flashing LED on USB stick would be one, that would indicate some activity.

Secondly, screen doesn't even wake so no output from DVI.

Agreed that the first should occur (although see below) but some boards don't do the second (not sure if this is one of them).

How about redownloading the BIO file and placing it as the only file on the root of the USB thumb drive (don't bother about it not being bootable). Possibly the first check of the drives contents is so brief that any flicker of the activity LED is unnoticable until reading really gets up and running. If a freshly downloaded/copied across correct BIO file doesn't do it, you could try the CDROM method and if that doesn't work then it may be time to look at an RMA. As to why the flash never completed properly (after claiming it did), was the PC running perfectly reliably before attempting the flash - if not, what was the problem (Intel only reccomend flashing to solve a problem you're experiencing that the update is known to address).

A common reason for this behaviour is involvement from Antivirus software (although I'm not sure if this is applicable with the F7 update method - it certainly is a possibility with the Express method which runs from the HDD). Another recent failure problem I recall (with another model of Intel board) was when people tried updating from a BIOS version other than the one immediately prior to the latest one but there were many posts about that and the common factor was quickly discovered.

You've done the right thing performing the upgrade on a basic/minimal system with only onboard graphics etc(and I'm assuming all unneeded peripherals/USB devices etc were unplugged at the time). Good luck trying those other methods or if needed, going through the RMA process. Maybe others with this board may have had similar experiences they can post about?

• 4. Re: DH67CL died on bios update?
                Jarkko

Recovery is dead end, tried even with optical drive and nothing.

System was running just fine before flash (with bios 0105, straight from factory as board is only couple of weeks old, going to friend to serve as surf machine), and it did complete without errors, after that "Update successful"-message it did automatic reboot and never recovered from that.

I'm 99% sure that ME-update screwed "something" up, and board can't boot with Sandy anymore.

It doesn't change anything if even memory modules are removed, no beeps, no nothing, even KB lights won't blink.

Well, RMA-time then I quess. Easy job as board was purchased just a ~mile from my house.

• 5. Re: DH67CL died on bios update?
                  Jarkko

BTW, after swapping the MB, what version would be safe to update to?

Propably 0132, which doesn't include support for IVB and ME8?

Though there seems to be plenty of fixes in 0151 and 0155.

• 6. Re: DH67CL died on bios update?
                    Flying_Kiwi

Depends if you NEED to update it (in order to fix any problems you may be encountering) otherwise just leave it as-is. If it aint broke, don't try to fix it!