7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 12:43 AM by Johan de Klerk

DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599

Johan de Klerk

Hi,

I hope someone can help please.

I currently have a DX58SO and have Bios 5456 on the board, Windows XP boot 100% with this Bios version.

After updating to Bios 5599 it only gets to the Starting Windows screen and then just sits there.

I can boot into safe mode with Bios 5599.

I have also purchased a DX58SO2 and want to upgrade my system to this board because of the faster drive access and faster processor support.

However if I replace my DX58SO with the DX58SO2 the same thing happens as when I upgrade the DX58SO to Bios 5599.

I am sure if I can get Windows to start with Bios version 5599 on the DX58SO then I will be able to upgrade to the DX58SO2.

Does anyone have an idea of where I can start looking to get me to upgrade my bios to 5599.

Thanks in advance

Johan de Klerk

• 1. Re: DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599
          navossoc

Hello, I successfully update my system right now

I was using the bios version 5561, you flash from which version? (maybe it's too old to flash the newest)

Did you tried enter in bios and setted default values? optimal values? or anything like that?

[]'s

• 2. Re: DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599
            Magwua

How long does it sit there? How long did you wait?

I did an update one time and was playing around with some settings and had a similar problem with windows 7. I think the option I changed had something to do with raid configuration. It was VERY slow but eventually got into windows after about 5 minutes.

Try waiting longer to see if it ever gets in. It could be that some of the BIOS settings got changed and windows is trying to install the drivers. You may need to tweak your SATA/Raid settings. Report back and let us know.

• 3. Re: DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599
              Johan de Klerk

Hi Rafael,

I am curently on 5456.

I tried all of these one by one:
              1) 5506

2) 5529

3) 5559

4) 5561

5) 5599

I could not get my XP to boot with any of the above versions.

I have tried with my Bios settings with default values.

Regards

Johan

• 4. Re: DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599
                Johan de Klerk

Hi Magwua,

At one stage I left the office and it was sitting there for +- 2 hours.

I am currently running it with AHCI with Bios version 5456.

Regars

Johan

• 5. Re: DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599
                  navossoc

Sorry, I don't have any idea.

Maybe some incompatibility with XP?

I'm running Windows 7 x64 SP1 with AHCI drivers too.

I never had this issue with BIOS update.

Did you tried reinstall the chipset information?

You need to put a -overall at the command line to overwrite previous installs.

INF_allOS_9.3.0.1019.exe -overall

Ah, one more thing, did you try enter in safe mode and take a look at "event log"?

Maybe there you can find some usefull information.

[]'s

• 6. Re: DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599
                    Magwua

If it will load into safe mode but not normal mode it makes me think that it is loading something "extra" and that is causing the hangup on loading. Try disabling the "extra" things.

1st thing to try is safe mode with Networking. that way you can rule out the problem with the ethernet being the problem.

I would also try to turn off AHCI and goto "Native" and IDE" as the options to see if that lets you get into normal mode. worse case is that is BSOD and you just revert the changes.

Let us know if you still want to update or just stick with the old bios.

Edit: It looks like with you using bios 5456 that the last time that the SATA RAID Option ROM: 9.x.x.x branch of the RAID controller was used. Do you use a RAID array for your disk drives?

• 7. Re: DX58SO does not boot Windows XP after updating to Bios 5599
                      Johan de Klerk

Hi Rafael and Magwua,

Thank you very much for all your ideas and help.

I gave up on this but my son said I must let him try.

After battling for a few days he got it working and upgraded the Bios to 5599 and Windows XP started perfect.

What he figured out is with 2GB memory and the new 5599 Bios XP started 100%.

Adding another 2GB memory made XP not start with 5599.

Here is what he did:

1) He ran the Chipset install "INF_allOS_9.3.0.1019.exe -overall" as Rafael suggested
                      2) He then removed "Intel(R) System Management BIOS Driver", Why this was there I don't know.

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 18 12.26.gif

3) Restarted the computer and everything is working perfect with all the memory installed.

So it seemed that this "Intel(R) System Management BIOS Driver" was what was causing all the problems.

Thanks again for all you help, without your inputs I would have been stuck at Bios 5456.

Regards

Johan de Klerk