0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 2:41 PM by Zeke

CPU and i7 950 cores reach 85C sitting on the BIOS page

Zeke

Build:

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

AZZA Dynamo 850 850W ATX & EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Corsair XMS3 12GB ( 3 x 4GB ) 1333mhz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 Triple Channel Memory Kit for Core i7

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hi,

So I recently started experiencing problems with my build after about six months of running smoothly. It started about three days ago when the PC automatically just off. I realized it was an overheating problem when I checked the BIOS. The CPU was reaching >100C temps. I layed the computer on its side and it let me turn it on and lasted a while longer but still overheated.

I naturally went for the heatsink on the CPU and found it to be a little loose so I readjusted it and got the computer to boot up entirely. Here's the tricky part though. On booting, the CPU starts at 70C and ramps up to 84C in about 3 minutes just by letting it sit on the BIOS screen. Once I boot, speedfan shows 70C on the cores and CPU and gradually cools down to idle temps of 50C for the CPU and 60C for the cores.

I've done most of the work already to check what's wrong and still nothing: the fans are all at high, the flow is good, the heatsink (stock) is well placed and thermally sealed, I'm not overclocking or running anything heavy, there's no dust, no leaks, no loose cables.

So here's my question, is it normal for the BIOS to show 85C for the CPU and why are my idling temps so high?

Once I boot windows the CPU and cores drop to 50 and 60 respectively.

I'm getting a new heatsink to see if that's the problem but I feel like there's something else wrong here...

Thanks in advance!

Zeke

Data 5 seconds after windows boot

Untitled2.png

Data after 5 minutes of windows loaded, and idling:

Untitled.png