2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 8:58 PM by scooter

DZ77BH-55K power connection problem

scooter

My DZ77BH-55K MoBo has a 2x4  12 volt power socket (as well as the main 2x12 socket)

My Blue Storm II 500 watt Power supply only has a 2x2 12 volt plug for the 2x4 socket on the board (not a 2x4 plug).

My previous build with an Abit IP35 Pro MoBo allowed the connection of this 2x2 power supply plug to its 2x4 board socket and it seemed to work fine.

The new DZ77BH-55K board documentation does not mention the ability to connect this 2x2 power supply plug to the 2x4 socket. It is silent on this issue.

Question: Is it safe and OK to use the 2x2 power plug attaching to the board's 2x4 socket? It fits nicely in the first 2x2 block of pins in the 2x4 socket (just like in my last build with the Abit MoBo)

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for the double post. I mistakenly put my first post on this board in the general discussion forum and not in the Desktop Boards discussion. Didn't see the catagory at first. Pardon my mistake.

• 1. Re: DZ77BH-55K power connection problem
          phil_l

Hi

The safest thing is to use the correct cables.  You might find just connecting the 4 pin works and it might work fine, however that means the pins are carrying more current and so are the copper tracks.  The reason they have 8 pins is because at maximum power draw, you need the extra wires and pins to spread out the current drawn to prevent overheating and burning out the connection and the copper tracks.

You really would be safer getting a new power supply to be honest.  The motherboard might not even boot without all 8 pins connected.  Usually if it is acceptable to use just a 4 pin plug there would be a cap over the other 4 pins or a note in the manual.

You can get adapters that convert 4 pins to 8 pin, the problem here is you still end up with too much current going through the 4 pins and 4 wires.

Regards

Phil

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DZ77BH-55K power connection problem
            scooter

Have talked to lots-o-people on this and most have encouraged me to just plug in the 2x2, but using Phil's advice, I was able to find at Fry's a fully wired 2x2 to 2x4 convertor which spreads the current to all pins. Everything is up and working great. Thanks for your advice and help.