9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 3:50 PM by mike888

Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible

mike888

Hi There!

I've tried to update my Bios from BGP6710J.86A.2111.2011.1120.2157 to newest available BGP6710J.86A.2185.2012.0420.0057 version.

Execution of the EXE file failed with the error: " The program is unable to continue. Internal system error: There is programming or internal problem."

So far I tried to follow the instructions for "F7 BIOS Flash Update" .

After pressing the "F7" function key I got a black screen with a "5A_" code displayed at the right bottom corner of the screen.

According the TechProduct Guide 5A means: "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices" - whatever this means.

Last update to BIOS Version 2111 which was in November 20th. 2011 went smooth and well with the .EXE file.

Can somebody from Intel Support or this community give me a hint what is probably wrong? I wonder why the F7 procedure isn't working. I must admit that I never tried it before. This was my first time using it.

Are there some Installation / BIOS / Jumper issues which must be considered in order to get F7 Bios Flash Update working?

Thanks a lot for some clearification. Appreciate your help!

Greetings

• 1. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
          Dan_Intel

Hello,

BIOS update methods may fail from time to time reason why we have different methods to do it.

Here are our recommendations:

-Remove the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery and leave it out for 30 minutes.  After this period of time, insert the battery back in and turn the system back on; if it displays POST messages, go into BIOS Setup Utility by pressing <F2> during the boot process. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs, which are located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

-Proceed with a BIOS recovery test.

The latest BIOS version can be downloaded from the following web site:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21293&ProdId=3273&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A&DownloadType=BIOS

Please be sure to read and follow all accompanying instructions, which can be found at this link:

http://developer.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
            leocaldasbr

Reset you bios to default and try the F7 utility again.

ps: after reset to default do not change any in overclocking config of your bios as memory SPD/XMP

reset to default, reboot and try F7

• 3. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
              mike888

Thanks so much for answering.

Because this is the first time in my life I planning to do that, I have two additional questions:

You are suggesting follwing:

1. Removing RTC battery for 30 min.
              2. Insterting battery back
              3. Turn system on
              4. Enter Bios Setup by pressing F2
              5. F9 = Restoring Bios defaults
              6. Reset any BIOS settings
                What do you mean by this?
              7. Clear all DMI Logs in Advanced/Event Log Configuartion
              8. F10 = Save all settings made
              9. Reboot

Is it possible to restore my personal settings saved in the BIOS - before starting this procedure?

Does BIOS remember my stored personal settings even in a case of general reset?

If not then I have to photograph or write down all changes made in BIOS.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
                leocaldasbr

you can save your custom bios settings, at last screen of your bios, dont remember now what keys is, but after you save your custom bios settings you can load it after at same screen( load custom bios setings) I think.

I am at work, so I can't see the right names to post here, but is something like that.

I had the same problem.

I couldn't update my bios if any overclocking settings are enabled.

After I hit the key F7 and start the utility, I select the file but after the reboot, nothing happen.

So I try it, reseted my BIOBS settings to default and try again, and BINGO! all work well.

but I didn't save my custom settings, so I needed to reset all..

/bonk my self

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
                  rsnetto

There are two things I do while updating BIOS by the F7 procedure. First, reset factory settings in the current BIOS. Second, unplug ALL other USB devices, leaving only the pen-drive that contains the BIOS file. I also unplug the SATA drives just for safety.

Also, in my system the POST hotkeys don't work well, They work only when the "5B" (in AHCI mode) or "5A" (in IDE mode) code is shown, and this appears only if HDD Delay is set, without delay it lasts only a fraction of a second. So to make the key work with BIOS default settings (no HDD delay) it's necessary to press just at the right moment, or to hold the key earlier for some seconds which makes the board beep like crazy.

• 6. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
                    mike888

Hi rsnetto,

that's what I've experienced too! Post hotkeys don't work well. It is a patience game to get into F2, F7 or F10.

I am happy to see that I am not the only one who fight with this inconvenient behaviour.

In order to omit this is it wise to activate HDD Delay? Does this setting has any influence on the HDD perfomance?

• 7. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
                      mike888

@leocaldasbr

Appreciate your answer! Thanks

• 8. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
                        rsnetto

Mike wrote:

Hi rsnetto,

that's what I've experienced too! Post hotkeys don't work well. It is a patience game to get into F2, F7 or F10.

I am happy to see that I am not the only one who fight with this inconvenient behaviour.

In order to omit this is it wise to activate HDD Delay? Does this setting has any influence on the HDD perfomance?

I don't see any problem in activating HDD delay. As I understand this option was meant to "wait for all the drives to start" so they are all recognized by BIOS.

With this option set (the minimum, 5 seconds, is enough), the board stays on code 5A/5B for some time and we can press the keys without hassle.

• 9. Re: Desktop Board DP67BG - no "F7" BIOS update possible
                          mike888

Thanks rsnetto,

I have set the "Hard Disk Pre Delay" to 5 sec. Now entering postkeys works fine.

Thanks again for your help guys!!