3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2012 9:25 PM by andicniko

Desktop Board DH77KC memory problems ?

Olaf Treuberg

I bought the following 3 days ago:

-  Intel Desktop Board DH77KC mainboard

-  i7-3770K, 3.50 GHz, 8 MB Cache, LGA 1155, 77W CPU

-  Patriot 1.5V 32 GB (4 x8 GB) Quad Channel 1333 MHz RAM

Product code: PGQ332G1333ELQK

Everything was recognized correctly by the mainboard - that means the correct CPU-Type & Speed, the correct memory amount & speed.

After 2 hours running the mainboard I got a blue screen and the mainboard turns on and of continuously. I change the new Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W powersupply with a brand new Seasonic SS 660KM powersupply. Same symthom.

I find out that if I use only 1 or 2 or 3 memory modules (slots doesn't matter) the mainboard is running well. So I use the Intel Chat support. Memory-problems the support-agent means.

I try to use all 4 memory modules in a GigaByte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev1.2 mainboard. Everything works fine now since 36 hours.

So today I bought new RAM:

-  Corsair 1.5V 32 GB (4 x8GB) Quad Channel 1600 MHz RAM

Product code: CMP32GX3M4X1600C10

Same problem...

My question to you: "Do you own a Intel Desktop Board DH77KC mainboard  and have the possibility to test it with any 32GB (4x 8GB) memory to find out if this error is a basic error of the mainboard or if it is a incompatibility of my ram? Is it a bug in the bios version? I use the latest bios version (KCH7710H.86A.0069.BI.ZIP).

Thank you for your help or helpful answers.

• 1. Re: Desktop Board DH77KC memory problems ?
          MuratSimsek

Hi Olaf,

I do believe that you have an incompatibility problems. You are using a Patriot 1.5V 32 GB (4 x8 GB) Quad Channel 1333 MHz RAM Product code: PGQ332G1333ELQK on the system which is not compatible or validated with your Intel Desktop Board DH77KC.

The board has four DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

• 1.5V DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs with gold plated contacts, with the option to raise the voltage to support higher performance DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs.
          • 1.35V Low Voltage DDR3 DIMMs (JEDEC specification)
          • Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
          • Unbuffered, single-sided, or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Does not support double-sided x16 DIMMs.
          • 32 GB maximum total system memory (with 4 Gb memory technology).
          • Minimum recommended total system memory: 1 GB
          • Non-ECC DIMMs
          • Serial Presence Detect
          • DDR3 1600 MHz, DDR3 1333 MHz, and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs. Third-generation Intel® Core processors are the only processor family that supports DDR3 1600 MHz DIMMs.
          • XMP version 1.3 performance profile support for memory speeds up to 1600 MHz

Please visit the link below that the Patriot Memory is compatible with Intel® X79 chipsets only.

http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=222&id=1145&type=1

I therefore suggest you to use or test a compatible Memory on your Intel Desktop Board DH77KC its should solve your problem.

Tested memory List:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh77kc/sb/CS-033194.htm#tested

I hope its help.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Desktop Board DH77KC memory problems ?
            Olaf Treuberg

What's going on?

The memory I bought is not compatible with the Intel Desktop  Board DH77KC. The 1st support agent from intel means the memory where broken and the 2nd supporter means the memory is wrong / incompatible for DH77KC mainboard because there where certified for X79 chipset mainboards.

But I test both memory (Corsair & Patriot) with no problems in the following mainboards:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev1.0 (Chipset: AMD 990FX, AMD SB950)

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev1.2 (Chipset: AMD 990FX, AMD SB950)

ASROCK P67 Pro3 (Chipset: Intel P67)

Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H (Chipset: Intel Z77 / Intel H77 Express)

In all 4 mainboard (not x79 chipset) the memories where running well.

So I gave back the DH77KC mainboard where I sold it. This was my first and last mainboard from Intel because all of the mainboard from the other manufacturers are more compatible with different types of memory.

P.S.: The memory support list  sucks because 80 - 90 % of the memories tested in Intel Lab you can only by in USA or China. In Europe you can't buy them. 

• 3. Re: Desktop Board DH77KC memory problems ?
              andicniko

I had a similar problem with Kingston memory, the system would not even POST if I had more than 2 DIMM slots filled. I have the same motherboard.

I eventually solved the problem by installing only 2 memory modules (so the computer would POST and let me get into the BIOS menu). Then, I increased the voltage for the memory to 1.55v (the memory is rated at 1.5 volts). This did the trick and I now have all 4 memory modules installed and working. I have had no stability issues since.

I was told in another forum that increasing memory voltage is a common fix for memory stability problems. Please note that increasing voltage will reduce the lifespan of your memory, but this is negligible since memory generally comes with a lifetime warranty - meaning every other component in your computer likely die before your memory does, even if you give it increased voltage.