Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Matching CPU-Heatsink

VVene
Beginner

Hello:

Doing a thorough cleaning, I disassemble two PCs and now I can not tell which CPU belongs to which heatsink. I have an Intel Celeron 2.40GHz and an Intel Pentium 4 1.70GHz CPU, both socket 478. On the other hand, I have a A80856-004 (F08G-12B2S1 NIDEC) and A65061-003 (109X9412T5H066 SANYO DENKI) heatsink. What CPU goes with which heatsink?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Since these are processors socket 478, both cooling solutions will work on both processors, so you should not have any issue installing them on any of the processors.

0 Kudos
MMash3
New Contributor I

Make sure you clean all the thermal paste off each processor and each heatsync and apply new thermal grease. Everytime you pull your processor off, you want to clean this off and replace it so you get a good thermal bond between the processor and the heatsync.

VVene
Beginner

Thanks, Adolfo and Martin.

Although both CPUs have very similar TDP (59.8W and 63.5W for Celeron and Pentium, respectively), which hetsink be more appropriate for the CPU with a higher TDP? That heavier, or that with a larger number of fins, or that with a larger fan diameter?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

In this case since the wattage difference is only 4 watts, then the cooling solution will be the same for both.

The number of fins does not matter as long as the fan is designed to support the processor wattage requirements.

0 Kudos