6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 12:24 PM by PC_buff

DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem

granzilla

At power on, the cpu fan runs 2 seconds, than stops. "CPU hot" LED flashes. No double digit BIOS shows - nothing!

* Edit*

Forgot to connect the extra power connection on the MB - sorry - bashing me....

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem
          ALFX

Hi Granzilla. Here I found a similar problem, but in another mobo (Z68A-GD80-G3). The output was temporarily install an i7 2600 update the BIOS and finally use the 3770K. The cooling solution used here was RTS2011LC. I hope you serve some help. Good luck.

• 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem
            PC_buff

Hi,

When I power on my system (same DZ77GA-70K board) the (Intel 3770K Retail
            box) CPU fan initially speeds up to an annoying level and then calms down to
            barely audible (normal) speed.

Ihave not found any way in the BIOS to address this.  With the numerous issues I've had thus far, and the many apparent BIOS instability issues with this board reported elsewhere here (Intel Community Support), I'm not sure if this is normal behavior.   What's your experience with the CPU when PC is first started?

BTW, I’m running latest BIOS (0039).

Thanks,

DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem
              phil_l

Hi

Yes the fan speeds up to full then a few seconds later it's the normal slow speed.

This is by design to ensure the fans do spin up.  Sometimes a fan will not start if supplied with the voltage that drives it at the slower speed, i.e. it sticks as there isn't enough power to get it turning from being stopped.  So they are driven full speed for a few seconds initially just to get them all spinning.

It is only a matter of seconds before they slow down, I doubt many people are bothered by this, but I can see it being a problem if the computer is in a bedroom and is turning on for one reason or another during the night.

I'm not sure it is going to be any different with other motherboards, all motherboards I've used recently have done this, including non-Intel ones.  This isn't Intel doing this, it's part of the monitoring/fan chip functionality.

Regards

Phil

• 4. Re: DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem
                PC_buff

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply and explanation (of why it's necessary), and while it
                seems to make good sense, I find it annoying! To my recollection, I have never experienced
                this "feature" with any motherboard (Including an Intel Z68 board
                from last year) and would hope there's an upcoming BIOS "fix" for it.

I do appreciate your input!

Mike

• 5. Re: DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem
                  jemsurvey

There is nothing to "fix" here.  My last Intel motherboard (DP35DP) did the same at startup and as Phil said its designed to work this way.

• 6. Re: DZ77GA-70K – Hot CPU LED Problem
                    PC_buff

Thanks for your input!