I understand that you want to use RAID on your Intel(R) Desktop Board DX975XBX2.
In regards to your inquire, you only need to enter BIOS, change the SATA ports to RAID ( Switch Drive Mode option from Legacy to Enhanced that is on older motherboards, this one does it by itself) then press F10 to save and exit.
Now if you are looking to start a RAID system, then get in to the Option ROM ( Ctrl+i) and create a RAID, if you wish to make a RAID ready, then install the operating system normally.
You cannot use your previous operating system installation as you did not installed the RAID drivers during the operating system installation.
Unfortunately that's the killer (unable to use the current OS). This system runs a 24/7 live weather forecasting site - http://tiggrweather.net/ - which has honestly taken 5 years to get the system to the point it is at now. There are upwards of 15 programs doing FTPs at intervals of 5 seconds to 15 minutes. There is no way I can have the system down for the amount of time it would take to get it back to even a beginning status. Also, since Intel does not have drivers for Win7, it would still fail. Unfortunate that Intel didn't make that clear when I installed the first OS.
Thanks for the reply.
You can migrate to a RAID 1 after the O/S is installed, I just tested it on an Intel D945GTP (82801GR / ICH7R)
I'll assume you are using the ICH7R ports and not the discrete ports (Marvell).
1. Backup all data.
2. Follow the steps under 'Let me fix it myself' here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 (you will only need to enable iastorV).
3. Reboot, and change the HDD setting to RAID within the BIOS.
4. Boot to Windows, and once you have logged in, new devices should be found. You'll be asked to reboot.
5. Once you are back into Windows, run the Intel RST package: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20984&keyword=188.8.131.526&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng Reboot.
6. You can now migrate to a RAID 1 volume by using the Intel RST software from within Windows. Guide here (section 8.2 - 'RAID-Ready to 2-drive RAID 1'): http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf