2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 5:41 AM by jemsurvey

USB Problems with DZ77GA-70K

jemsurvey

Hello,

I just completed a new build with the DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K processor.  I installed the latest 0039 BIOS and the latest USB 3 drivers.  My main problems so far seem to be with the USB, in particular USB 3.  I have a Western Digital USB 3 interface external hard drive.  When connected to the USB 3 ports (any of them) it is extreeeeemly slow to post, when it will post at all.  Most often the computer will not post and I get this message "BIOS has detected unsuccessful post attempt(s).  Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS Performance Options or recent hardware changes.  Press Y to enter setup or N to cancel and attempt to boot with previous settings"

Also the same happens when the WD drive is connected to the USB 2 ports, and when connected to the yellow ports will never post.  I thought maybe incompatibilty with the drive but read on.

I also have a Seagate external hard drive with a USB 2 interface.  With this drive connected to the USB 3 ports the computer will post, but it is very delayed and then the boot up time is also increased.  But the worst with this drive attached to the USB 3 ports is that the computer will not shut down through the start menu, if I select shut down the computer just restarts, every time.  I have to do a force shut down with the power button.  The Seagate seems to be ok connected to the USB 2 ports, but the post is still a little slower.

FYI, I have disabled boot to USB and disabled the charging function on the yellow ports.  Also there is nothing in my BIOS for any USB 3 settings.

Also, is it normal for post to take longer the more devices attached to USB?

Any help with this would be appreciated as I'm a bit frustrated if I can't use my backup drives.

Another issue, very minor, is that I have no skull eye lights on the processor, and I see nothing in the BIOS to enable or disable them.  Any ideas?

Oh, is there an easy way to get back to the original BIOS?

Thanks so much for the help,

John Marrocco

• 1. Re: USB Problems with DZ77GA-70K
          Dan_Intel

Hello,

It is not normal that the system takes too much time to boot with the USB devices connected.

Here are our recommendations for this issue:

- Unplug the power cord, remove all non-basic components, connect the power cord back in and try to boot up the system.  If problem does not take place, try installing the other components one at the time until you find out which is the conflicting one.

- Remove/Reinstall the USB drivers from device manager for testing.

- Yes is possible to rollback to a previous BIOS version by using the BIOS recovery method:

http://developer.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

- If you are looking to restore defaults, you can remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs, which are located in the Advanced section of the BIOS Setup utility. Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

• 2. Re: USB Problems with DZ77GA-70K
            jemsurvey

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.  Following your advice this is what I did and the results.

I unplugged computer and all usb devices, then plugged computer back in and rebooted.  Everything loaded fast, 9 seconds to full windows screen.  I then plugged in my devices one at a time and all was well until I plugged in the USB 3 external drive.  This delayed boot to windows for 21 seconds.  Below are the problems encountered.

1)  The USB 3 external drive delays boot to full windows for 21 seconds.

2)   A USB 2 external drive plugged into a USB 3 port does not delay boot but it prevents me from shutting down through the start menu.  The computer will restart with this drive plugged in.  I have to unplug the drive to shut down.

3)   My mouse function is delayed once windows us up by up to 20 seconds.  Sometime 5 seconds, but usually more like 15 seconds.  I will hear the sound that windows makes when it is loading drivers.  I have tried differnet usb ports with the same delay.  This was not happening prior to my reinstalling the USB 3 driver.

I think thats it for now.  I appreciate your help.

John Marrocco