6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 10:58 PM by oriosto

DX79TO, DX79SI, boot loop B7 issue with more than 16GB or mem. > 1600MHz

rbfowler9

Hi all,

I'm having problems with an Intel DX79TO board, and as far as I've seen around the net, several other people are having the very same issue. Hardware is a DX79TO board paired with 2x G.Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL kits (8x4GB 1866MHz 9-10-9-28) and an i7-3930K CPU. PSU is a Corsair TX750V2, CPU is at stock frequencies.

I think we might be dealing with defective firmware from Intel, which I first suspected. If either anybody out there or Intel or G.Skill tech support could try to replicate the following procedure successfully with a DX79TO, DX79SI or DX79SR board paired with more than 16GB of >1600MHz memory, would be of great help to demand Intel for newer, bug-free firmware.

To get rid of the B7 boot loop issue:

Fire up setup, go to Memory Overrides, put it in Automatic and it will assume a 11-11-11-28 configuration. Change to Manual, and then select the multiplier as 10 : 1333. Save and exit. Boot, everything works.

Enter setup again, and now select XMP-1867 (or XMP profile 2), bump up VCCSA to around 1.15V, save and exit. VOILÀ. All works as expected, rock-solid @ 1866MHz!! (see attached screenshot: http://www.performanceinformatica.co...agens/1866.png)

Now to screw everything up, all it takes is to enter setup again, and change any memory parameter: Est-ce que returns the B7 boot loop drama...

Tested in f/w release 424, 430, 453, 460 and 494.

Please please please Intel, fix XMP profile assignments in DX79xx firmware =/

Fowler

Message was edited by: Cláudio Schilling

• 1. Re: DX79TO, DX79SI, boot loop B7 issue with more than 16GB or mem. > 1600MHz
          Dan_Intel

Hello,

The i7-3930K will support DDR3-1066/1333/1600 memory only. Using memory out of specifications will cause the system to be unreliable and unstable:

Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Processor (12M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

Please use memory within specifications in order to achieve proper performance on your system.

• 2. Re: DX79TO, DX79SI, boot loop B7 issue with more than 16GB or mem. > 1600MHz
            rbfowler9

Hi,

What's the purpose of having thruout the whole documentation and specs of the boards indication of memory support up to 2400MHz if the CPU memory controller won't cope with them? I see no reason why an Extreme Series motherboard, targeted at the enthusiast user and aimed and marketed as an overclocking product, wouln't be able to handle higher frequency memory when similar products from Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA and dozens of other brands do. This is misleading marketing, it shouldn't be advertised as an "Extreme Series" product, it shouldn't state "Support for up to DDR3 2400+ O.C." (quoting directly from the DX79SI product page) if it wouldn't actually work at that rates IRL.

Either that, or Intel could hire ASUS' firmware developers, as people are happily and successfully pairing P9X79's with 2133MHz memory and upwards using i7-3930K processors all around the globe -- even if neither 3930K nor 3960X are officially rated for >1600MHz operation.

Fowler

• 3. Re: DX79TO, DX79SI, boot loop B7 issue with more than 16GB or mem. > 1600MHz
              gregg

I have been on the fence buying another Intel desktop X79 (have DX58 now and also GA-EX58) These are the two boards I am considering:

BOXDX79TO

Memory: 8x 240pin DDR3 2400+(OC) DIMMs, Quad/Triple/Dual/Single Channel, Max Capacity up to 64GB

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXDX79TO-LGA2011-CrossFireX-Motherboard/dp/B006A0M9C6/

GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5

Memory: 8 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory. 4 channel memory architecture. Support for DDR3 2400/1866/1600 MHz memory modules

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-X79-UD5-Intel-E-ATX-Motherboard/dp/B0064Z6Y9G/

Is this a YMMV and there are certified chips? I use to go with Micron but lately use Corsair's, and was planning to use 4 x 8GB DIMMs

• 4. Re: DX79TO, DX79SI, boot loop B7 issue with more than 16GB or mem. > 1600MHz
                apog

I have an i7-3960X running at stock speeds (on a DX79SI), and 8x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz. All I can run is 1333mhz in the memory, anything beyond that results in the boot loop too. So now it's not the processor the issue. It says the motherboard supports up to 2400mhz but I can not get anything better than 1333.

• 5. Re: DX79TO, DX79SI, boot loop B7 issue with more than 16GB or mem. > 1600MHz
                  apog

I have an i7-3960X running at stock speeds (on a DX79SI), and 8x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz. All I can run is 1333mhz in the memory, anything beyond that results in the boot loop too. So now it's not the processor the issue. It says the motherboard supports up to 2400mhz but I can not get anything better than 1333.

• 6. Re: DX79TO, DX79SI, boot loop B7 issue with more than 16GB or mem. > 1600MHz
                    oriosto

Hi all... I'm a Brazilian, and i tell to justify my bad spelling.

I did have the some problem that first post and you all have.

My MB only have 2 weeks of use all was fine i use 4 DIMM of memory quad channel full on... i decide not use it anymore so i disassemble it all, i was going to sell everything, one day before i sell it, i need use the board to test a VGA... when I tried to use all 4 DIMM, one position of the blue one did not work. see the picture the one with a red line.

DX79to.jpg

The black one's don't  work ether???

so i try everything that every one knows or read on the net about memory... Not did work for me...

So i toke it apart again and took a look at the S2011 socket, and discover that one pin seemed a bit off place.

this one on the red line...

S2011.jpg

I try to fix it was only 0,5mm off but off is off, i use a small screwdriver to tip it to the right place...

And yes it did work just fine, all 4 DIM full on quad channel. 

So i put it back to sell because i'm full of PC, don't want to have one for a minimum of 2 years.

One thing i don't understand WAY THE PC STARTS IF A PIN OF THE CPU SOCKET IS OUT OF PLACE???...

And way use this type of socket intel??? it is so fragile...

I hope this help some one... forgive my spelling errors ...