1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2012 8:22 AM by Intel_Karla RSS

G41 & Pentium D 820 not compatible due to TDP too high?!?!

mathico Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

From the research I did beforehand the following components should be compatible, since the processor runs at 95W TDP, and the board supports up to 95W TDP:

Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core Desktop Processor PD820280775-R

BIOSTAR G41D3C LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I purchased them both from Newegg - the processor after the board, as I was trying to salvage my idling Pentium EE 3.73GHz single-core that has too high an TDP to be used (105, I think).

However, when I pair the above components, upon boot, I get the follow, just like the Pentium EE:

"The Max Power of CPU is over 95W ... Preparing to shut down ... "

I do not understand why this is the case... what's not okay here???

Thanks for the insight, in advance!

• 1. Re: G41 & Pentium D 820 not compatible due to TDP too high?!?!
    Intel_Karla Community Member
    Currently Being Moderated

We rely on the motherboard and system manufacturers to maintain such compatibility information because their testing requires the use of our processors (not vice-versa). The board must be validated for the power and thermal specifications of the processor. The manufacturer must release a BIOS update for the board with explicit support for the stepping and frequency of the processor. They should also provide any configuration changes or updates specific to the board. Compatibility and upgrade information must be specific to a motherboard, and it must come from the motherboard manufacturer.

We recommend contacting the motherboard manufacturer for compatibility information between the Intel(R) processors and the motherboard in question.

Specifications on the Intel® Pentium® D processor 820 can be found at: http://ark.intel.com/products/27512/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-820-(2M-Cache-2_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points